It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Free Newsletter

Hi, happy to join and a Merry Christmas to all.

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Thank you Butterfly-Dawn

Postby Lesley » Sun Dec 18, 2005 8:45 pm

Thanks for the info. I'll upgrade my profile right away.
I've had this condition for so long that I've read quite a few books on pain and insommnia. I haven't read in bed for years. I learnt a long time ago that you only sleep in bed, nothing else. I also get up instead of tossing and turning, but this is my problem. This is when I read in the loungeroom. I have tried to disassociate myself from food at this time of night and it is like my brain doesn't focus on anything but food no matter how interesting the book is, no matter how much relaxation I've done, no matter what else I do. Yes I agree that I have been conditioned to read and eat and I don't know how to break this cycle. I've tried congitive phsychology, where you write down the behaviour and work out alternatives relating to it. This hasn't worked either. It's like I can't turn the thoughts of food from my brain. I know that it is all about choices but it physically feels like I can't stop thinking of food at night time. I don't know what else to do. I am currently reading "Dr Phil's - The Ultimate Weight Solution" which tackles emotional eating. I'm hoping I can find some help there.

Thanks anyway. This info may be of help to others reading this thread.

I haven't tried a bath before going to bed as I hate baths, but I've decided now (thanks to you) to give it a go.

You guys are being so helpful and I keep coming up with the catch phrase "Been there done that". Sorry. I suppose this is because I've had this problem for so long.

Anyway thanks for the help.
Cheers Lesley
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]

Life is all about choice. Good choices lead to a great life!
Lesley

Postby Fairie » Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:32 am

It is not easy Lesley, I too have a problem with the night time munchies. That is the worst time of the day for me, I can go right through the day eating only what's allowed from my plan but after dinner even if I'm full I'm looking for something to eat. I spend most of the night thinking what is there in the fridge or pantry can I eat.

It's a constant battle. :evil: :evil:
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Hi Fairie

Postby Lesley » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:29 pm

Hi Fairie, It is so hard isn't it? Although I wish we didn't have this problem with food at night time I'm glad to be able to share my problems with someone who understands. Like you I'll eat really well all day then night time comes and food just consumes my thoughts no matter how full I am. :oops:
[/url]

Lesley

Postby linda » Tue Dec 20, 2005 5:56 pm

when trying to diet you cannot have any junk food in the house, or you will not lose weight, okay whats done is done, just move on, and concentrate on the future, your kids will be much healthier too from eating fruit instead of biscuits.
linda

Hi Again

Postby Lesley » Tue Dec 20, 2005 10:21 pm

I know. Usually I don't have junk in the house. But I still seem to overeat on 1/2 loaf of bread and what ever spread is there. But I'm trying.
[/url]

Lesley

Postby BigM » Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:53 am

If you are finding yourself snacking, maybe you can shove all the unhealthier items towards the back of the fridge or in taller compartments and line the front with fruits and healthier items. Consciously it might help you in choosing what to snack on, if, for example, chocalate is the first item you see then you will want to eat it. Maybe seeing an apple might turn your mind towards healthier items and remind you to keep on track :).
BigM

Postby linda » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:35 pm

Lesley I was a sandwich junkie before starting my diet, since starting I have switched to Mountain Bread.
linda

Thanks Guys for the tips

Postby Lesley » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:07 pm

Thanks for the tips. I like the idea of having all the healthy things at the front so you really have to think twice about what to eat. At present I'm back to only having healthy things in the house. This is a major help. I just hope my husband doesn't bring home anything junky when he comes home from getting some diet caffeine free pepsi for me.

Linda is mountain bread the flat bread. If it is I love it rolled up with salad and salsa and a small amount of low fat cheese. No one else in the house will eat it for breakfast, lunch or a snack. What do you do when everyone insists on having white bread on a daily basis. I keep it in the freezer, but my husband defrosts the whole loaf instead of two slices at a time.

Cheers to everyone. Lesley
[/url]

Lesley

Postby linda » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:57 pm

Lesley I don't know what to suggest because I am the only bread eater in the house. I guess that is where you just have to be strong. When I started I found it really hard no bread but with sticking with it after three weeks i didn't miss it, and I don't miss it now 6 weeks later. the good thing about mountain bread it has a long use by date, and you can put anything on it, sometimes i even just spread some vegemite on it, roll it up and have it with a cup of soup. Just make sure you have plenty of "healthy" alternatives for when everyone else brings out the food that are your weaknesses, and of course everybody's tastes are different, so you will find what works for you. Evening time is my worst time, so i nibble on some walnuts, or strawberries, or I have even cooked up some corn on the cob to munch on. Something else I would like to add is that my partner decided to support me when I started by not bringing any junk food into the house and eating healthy with me, and so far I have lost 8kg and he has lost 5kg from not even trying just eating healthy! I think men must have a faster metabolism than women.
linda

Hi Linda

Postby Lesley » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:36 pm

Hi Linda, Men do usually have a faster metabolism because they have more muscle on their bodies compared to women. I'll just have to get serious and dedicated with this so that the bread doesn't stay a problem. The day after boxing day we are going to visit my mother, brother and sister-in-law (and kids) so I'll just have to be careful with what I eat there as I won't have an influence over what I eat. I will go shopping with them and pay for healthy things for me and my kids like extra fruit and I'll add the mountain bread too.

I'm going through a terrible time right now with the chronic pain. not much movement over the last 2 days, not even to do housework. I'm no depressed due to the pain, I've got no motivation to do anything. And I'm angry. Andgry at my pain and angry at the family that when I'm not up to doing house work due to my pain nothing gets done. So I've got the next 2 days to get up and going and get the house nice for Christmas day.

Earlier today I so wanted junk, I'd just had a terrible disagreement with my daughter. But I didn't have anything. For this I must pat myself on the back or something. Just then my husband and kids went out to look at Chrissy lights and Greg asked if I want anything at the shops (he knows how down I am) I said yes I want junk - chocolate. Then I quickly said No, don't get me anything. I'll have some nuts and sultanas here. I still feel down though. Got to go pain is bad.

Cheers Lesley
[/url]

Lesley

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:05 pm

That's no good. Maybe you should sit the whole family down and tell them how angry it makes you that they can't help you out to keep the house nice when you are in too much pain to do it yourself. Just make sure you don't do it in an accusatory way - it makes everyone touchy
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Thanks for the tip and support

Postby Lesley » Sat Dec 24, 2005 1:11 pm

Thank you for the tip and support. When I did the pain management course last year, we learnt how to be assertive without being mean or hostile. I've been practicing this on and off. I find I'll express how angry I get and how much help I need, they help for .5 of a week and then it's all left to me again. So I did it yesterday, sat them down and expressed how I get angry when I don't get things done. By putting the words in "I", I'm not blaming anyone. Well a lot got done yesterday, which was great. I feel if I only get help for .5 of a week this time, at least it gets me through the Chrissy period. Still in a lot of pain and I blew it yesterday, I got a chocolate bar and ate the lot. Gosh, what a pig I am. Well today's a new day and I'm making up salads for tomorrow so I can eat these today also.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!
[/url]

Lesley

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:19 am

well I hope you enjoyed the choccie! As far as i'm concerned, I try not to eat baddies, but when i do, I figure there's no point beating myself up too much over it since then there would have been no advantage at all to having it!! I just say "I'll enjoy this now, but I'll get straight back to work again"
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Previous

Return to Introductions