It is currently Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:57 am

Free Newsletter

Giving it a go......

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Giving it a go......

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:01 am

Just a quick hi,
Gee Wiz......are there any males in this forum, or they using discreet usernames?

Well it's time I gave the wieght loss thing a go. I gave up smoking dead on two months ago and am feeling so much better for it. Now it's time to tackle my weight problem.

For me, my problem is 25-30kg or there abouts. I have decided I am going to [url]concentrate[/url] on "Exercise" rather than diet. I've been ask to atend a wedding as best man in six weeks & have used this invite as insentive to get me started.

Well I better get off my big but and start jogging or walk/jog/walk/collapse/get up/Walk/jog/walk/jog/collapse & so forth. It's about 0 degrees outside with a wind chill factor of MINUS whateva. I hate the dogs that chase me and all the stares and near misses with the trafic, but it must be done. It's been years so wish me luck :?
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:05 am

hey dave welcome and good on you for giving it a go :) yep theres males here on the forum. there are before and after pics of some of them if you have a look around. there are more females here though but dont let that scare you away. best wishes for your stint as the best man i am sure you will look fab :) you are heading in the right direction with your exercise. dont worry about what other people think :) as long as you are comfortable doing the walk/jog/ collapse :P you will be right.

btw congrats on giving up smoking :) what an achievement :) my fiance gave up 6 weeks ago :) not cold turkey though but he is still doing so well with the patches. it must be very hard to give up something thats a habit and addictive - like me and chocolate :(

anyway best wishes and join in when and where you feel comfortable :)

Postby Playboy_bunny » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:07 am

Hi Dave :)
Firstly, there are a few men around, so Im sure you will get to know them too :) There are a LOT of women but we support anyone and everyone with their weight loss :)
As far as you weight loss plan, its sounds pretty good, although I really would concentrate on diet as well as execise....they go hand in hand :) If you are eating badly it may cancel out the good you are doing through exercise, if u know what I mean?? :) Have a look around the site, to get some healthy eating ideas, even if its just to go from full fat to light options or bulk your meals up with vegies and drink water... :) Hope to See you around the boards Dave xx

Postby milkyway » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:15 am

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. There are a few guys around, but you'll certainly find more chicks!

Congrats on giving up smoking. I quit about 5.5 years ago, so I know it's not easy.

Good luck with your exercising. Have you heard of the Couch to 5Km program? It's a great way to start successfully running and a number of people here are doing it.

If you've got some bad eating habits, exercise alone probably isn't going to do it for you. I used to exercise 15+ hours per week and kept wondering why I only lost about 2kg in about 5months. I thought I was eating really healthily but it wasn't until I plugged my daily food intake into that I realised my portion sizes were waaay out of control and hours of intense exercise weren't enough to burn it all off. Just something to keep in mind :)

Good luck!
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Postby sassi » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:46 am

hi dave & welcome!

it's always good to have something like a wedding to kick start you into action! good luck :)

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:15 pm

what a friendly & active forum. Thankyou all for the encouragement and words of wisdom. Yeaaaa, I'll try and watch the food intake :lol:
Basically to explain myself a little better...Before "I let myself go", most of my friends would know me as that physical fitness freak or just plain freak. I thought a balanced exercise program/diet was two ciggy's before a 15km run with 2chickens + 1/2 a bucket of potato salad and 1 gallon of orange juice afterwards. As soon as I finished pumping weights with the big guns, I could be found either, flying on the treadmills or wiping my sweat of several sorrounding machines whilst waiting for the next aerobics class to start. I was constantly at the gym doors on opening hours + in & out 3 times a day, 7 days a week......
So yadda yadda I eventually burnt myself out and took up several new hobbies, none of which consisted of exercising. Two years and 35kg + a pain in the chest later I give up smoking.
Although I only know two speeds....Stop & Go...Age is setting in (38) & I am quickly learning the need for balance. So whilst I plan to flog myself to death with involuntary bouts of sudden exercise, set un- realistically beyond my human capabilities, I'll probably be eating more than I do now. So far, I collapsed at the mail box, ran spasmodically for 10 minutes and enjoyed a plate of bacon and eggs.

Seriously I fully understand what you mean about dieting and the factors that surround it. Thanks for the links to…great reading and incentive there as well. I,ll keep you informed in the progress part of the index…Thanks again for the welcome.
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"

Postby Dave » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:20 pm

No "edit"....kind a sucks, oh well......That's 38, I wish it was 30 :lol:

Postby reester33 » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:02 pm

Hey Dave welcome aboard. I wish I was 30 also! :lol:

Hmmm....sounds like you were a major gym-junkie previously and that chest pain doesn't sound good! Congrats on making a move and doing something to change your life around.

Btw....the fitter you get the younger you'll be and the longer you'll live...that's gotta be a bonus! :lol:

All the best,

:) Maree

Postby KimE » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:16 pm

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum.

Well if you've been a gym junkie perhaps you can learn from that and not go at it so hard...or maybe do go at it hard but not as often....once a day is more than enough. I too agree with watching the food intake as exercise will only get you so far but then you blokes do tend to have higher metabolisms than us due to generally having more muscle. Making some healthy changes will certainly go a long way.

Best of luck and let us know how you go. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby Chelle » Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:45 pm

Welcome to the forum Dave there are a few guy's on the forum but they are out numbered by females but join in to any discussion when ever you want. Firstly a big congrats for giving up thoses cancer stick's. I can see where you burned & crashed with going to the gym 7 days a week 3 times a day, you need your rest days & only spend a certain amout of hours at the gym, I aim for 2 hours at a time well that is all that is aloud because of child minding hours. I can see that you can run you can easily get back into it but just don't eat like you use to with the whole chicken thing other wise you have just wasted your time by running by eating more calories that you burn, have a happy & healthy weight loss journey goodluck, deffinately keep us posted on how your progress is going!!!!!

Return to Introductions