It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:48 am

Free Newsletter

Hey there - Newbie with a problem

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hey there - Newbie with a problem

Postby joshgrosh » Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:39 am

Hey there
I set a target goal in February to get down to 59 kilos (i was 75 at the time). The first weeks were great and i lost ten kilos really fast!
Problem is I've been 65 kilos since then. After 5 weeks of not losing any weight at all on a very strict diet/excersise regime, i quit, went out, and stuffed my mouth full of cake. I did the same thing for about a month, eating whatever I wanted, not excersising.
Anyway, two weeks ago i decided i should try again. Jump on the scales....and i'm still 65 kilos!
How is that even possible? I've gone from the strictest diet i could think of to a complete free-for-all with no change!
Anyway, two weeks into the new diet...and i'm still yet to lose anything.
I can't figure out what i'm doing wrong....
Any tips?
Thanks for listening to my whinge
Josh
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9YZG3Y/]
[/url]
joshgrosh

Postby milkyway » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:24 pm

Hi Josh and welcome to the forum. I too have been going through a plateau period around the 65/66kg mark for the past 2-3 months!!! I also found the first few kgs quite easy to shift.

But what i have noticed is that although according to the scales I am not shrinking, but according to my clothes, I've gone done about half a dress size! :shock: Pants that were tight 2 months ago are slipping off my hips etc.

Are you taking measurements other than your weight on the scales? You might notice some difference there. A kilo of fat takes up a lot more space than a kilo of muscle :)

All the best and I hope you can battle through this plateau period. Mix things up a bit with your exercise regime - do more, do something different. Keep at it. Count calories etc. Even if you're not losing weight, your body will still thankyou for not filling it full of junk ;)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby KimE » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:14 pm

Hi Joshgosh and welcome to the forum.

Well done on your weightloss to date.

It is possible your regime was so strict your body went into starvation mode, just a suggestion, so when you went back to eating whatever your body stopped being afraid of starving and was able to metabolise the food you were eating. I would say though if you kept up eating whatever you like you would most likely start to gain weight as a result.

You need to keep the body guessing and not let it get used to whatever you are doing to it. So you may find that eating strictly for 3 days and then a 'day off' so to speak or perhaps simply eat a few more calories on that day without going overboard. Alternate it like that so your body doesn't get used to the same thing. Also the body quickly adapts to any exercise routine so again give it plenty of variety wherever possible.

I am no expert but these are a few suggestions. One more thing you may want to try things separately rather than changing everything so that you can see what is really working for you.

All the best and let us know how you go. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby joshgrosh » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:13 pm

Hey
Yeah i'm really thinking that starvation mode may be what was wrong...after a few days of dieting (and it used to be my goal to be under 10 WW points a day) i just stopped getting hungry. I'm there again now - I find it really easy to skip meals with little to no adverse effects.
I know that's probably not a good thing, but i really don't want to eat more...
I guess it's all about the balance.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9YZG3Y/]
[/url]
joshgrosh

Postby KimE » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:18 pm

10 points sounds really low, isn't that about 1/2 what they say? Or am I thinking of a different program?
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:56 pm

Hi Josh and welcome to the forum. Your experience could be a number of things. Maybe you had developed some god habits and just THOUGHT you were eating really badly, but really it wasn't all that far off what you were eating before. OR maybe your metabolism was still high and compensating for you - something it will not do forever. Maybe your scales are broken :shock:

Try shaking things up a bit maybe - a change is as good as a holiday .
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Chelle » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:12 pm

I've been there I know what it is like. Change your routine, shake things up a bit with exercise don't be afraid to try new thing's. Eating I think your body did go into starvation mode, I don't do WW but I think 10 point's is low try & eat more. Drink lot's of water. Try & use a exercise & food journel it might show you what your routine it & where you can change it. Goodluck with everything. With being at 65Kg are you in your healthy weight range?? If so your body could be telling you that it dosen't need to loss weight, that's why it could be hard to shift those extra kilo's. Anyway welcome to the forum Josh.
Chelle

Return to Introductions