It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:46 pm

Free Newsletter

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Angel » Sat Dec 31, 2005 4:50 pm

Hi all,

I am a classic yo-yo dieter and, this time, have approximately 20kgs to lose. My problem is every time I lose weight and get to a size I am happy with I forget what I've learnt about healthy eating and eat what I want :twisted: By the time I've realised I've put on so much weight I'm back to where I started.

This time I'm trying a different approach :idea: , To eat healthy and include the occasional treat so I don't feel deprived and binge. This way I hope to maintain my weight loss. You know, try something that I can do forever rather than just while I need to lose a few kilos.

I would love to hear from people with a similar story.
:lol:
Angel

Postby BigM » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:08 pm

Welcome to the forum Norm, i believe that the best bet for you isn't worrying too much about the diet, but just takeing a positive approach to healthy eating. Find the food that you like and that are also healthy and go for it, dieting shouldn't be a chore but realising its more important to eat healthier alternatives.

I guess the main thing you need to do is realise which food are good and which are bad, ie fish and game food have less saturated fat than the docile ones like beef and much more healthier meats. Vegetables are always great, and if you don't like the plain taste then olive oil with some italian balsanic dressing is nice addition.

There are always alternatives to what we like to eat, if you have any questions or further discussions feel free to voice your opinions or queries, there's always someone ready to answer... also you can participate on the daily diaries of both exercise and food... i find that this helps keep track of weather or not i'm eating good or exercising enough.
BigM

Postby Dolly » Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:06 pm

Hi Norm (aka Angel), welcome to the forum!
I think most of us here are in the same boat, if it's in the house and it's bad, at any weak moment (to which there are many) we'll want to have some high fat food.
You're right about not depriving yourself. I think including the occasional naughty food is a good way to not feel deprived.
* Some people may want to get to goal fast, or might even have a sluggish metabolism and not want any treats.
* Some of may want a treat at the end of the week (friday is my take-out day)
* Some may incorporate a little something into the caloric allowance at the end of each day.
* And then there are those that treat themselves with allowable foods, they might indulge in a weight watchers cheesecake, weight watchers choc mousse, weight watchers ice-cream, lean cuisine lasagne or even a healthy choice pizza's.

There are many approaches to take and I'm sure once you stick to yours, you'll succeed to your goal.

Last edited by Dolly on Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:04 am

Hi norm, welcome on board!

I personally don't like the 'diet' word. To me, a 'diet' is a short term thing you do to lose the weight you put on eating the way you usually do. I prefer to look at my weight loss effort as a lifestyle change. I'm constantly amazed these days at what i WAS eating. I'm now using less than 1/4 of the butter/margarine I was, for example!!! That way, hopefully when I reach my goal I won't just put it back on becasue healthy eating and exercise will be a habit, not a chore.

Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kymbahlee » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:29 pm

Welcome Norm! I agree with Bitterfly Dawn in that it is all about making the little changes that you can keep on with for the rest of your life. Like swapping white bread with wholemeal or mulit grain.
kymbahlee

Postby Fairie » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:51 pm

Hi and Welcome Norm.

Some great advise from everyone so I will just say good luck with your weightloss journey. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby hushpuppy » Sun Jan 01, 2006 6:09 pm

Welcome Norm and welcome to the forums . As most of here are in the same boats Our motto is its the little things that count . Just 1 small change can help our journeys

Cheers Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Thank you

Postby Angel » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:19 pm

Just a quick note to say thankyou for all your responses.

I was a bit hesitant at joining a chat room but you have all made me feel most welcome. :P

Thanks and look forward to chatting with you.

PS. I changed my username from Norm to Angel.
Angel

Postby Dolly » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:37 pm

Love the new name Angel
Dolly

Postby Angel » Tue Jan 03, 2006 5:08 pm

Dolly,
if only it were true! :twisted:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Return to Introductions