It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:36 pm

Free Newsletter

Hello

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello

Postby Lynda » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:45 pm

Six months ago i weighed in at 119 kg and not proud of it. I got the wake up call to lose weight when i had a stroke. I have been to Jenny Craig, Weight Watchers (these were hard due to travelling distance), Diets of all sorts, i still haven't found the one for me. I have got down to 102.8 kg but have been here for 2 months. How do i get my weight moving again. I am hoping this site will help. I live in the country and i am 190 kms to the nearest town so i am limited in what i can do (no gyms for me), fresh fruit is limited, I can only buy when i do my 3 weekly shopping, and support from friends and family is nil or just exhausted. Sorry to drag on but from what i have read on this site, i feel motivated again.
Lynda

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:34 pm

Hi Lynda,
Welcome to the forum! Well done on losing the weight you already have, just don't give up! There's lots of supportive people on here and many knowledgable people who might be able to help you.

Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Fairie » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:13 pm

Welcome Lynda

You have done well on your own and it must be so hard not having the support of family and friends.

How do you cope without fresh veg and fruit :shock: If you bought frozen veggies how would you get them home before they defrosted?

Can/do you grow your own veggies?

Have you see our Daily Food Diary that we write down what we eat everyday I find that helps. :D
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Dolly » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:49 pm

Hi Lynda, Welcome to the weightloss forum, how frightening for you to have experienced that stroke. You are so lucky to have been given a second chance.

Fairie has come up with a good idea, eating lots of vegetables, even vegetable soup with chicken stock cubes is healthy and yummy.

There are a couple of diary's and a couple of challenges here on the forum that will help keep you motivated.

ImageImageImageImageImage
Dolly

Postby BigM » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:09 pm

Welcome Lynda, congratulations on that weight loss you achieved, and sorry to hear about the stroke you had. If you are experiencing a plateu in your weight loss then it could comprise of numerous things:

. eating wrong food
i guess you have to see the types of food you are currently eating, if they are unhealthy foods then you might not gain weight from a better metabolism with the routine you performed to lose your previous weight, but can stop you from achieving further weight loss.

. not exercising enough
if you've stopped exercising then it will lead to stop in weight loss. I assume you haven't but perhaps its time to increase the intensity of the exercise and incorporate newer techniques to the routine. Ie walk for 5 minutes more each day etc. Or encorperate newer techniques like doing some aerobics and some resistance training every day, this will help work various muscle groups and with better muscles can restart the process of long term weight loss.

. exercising too much
people who exercise too much can actually lead to a slower rate of weight loss. While exercise is good, if you do too much it can cause straining on muscles, which mean more resting periods... it would be better to do consistency rather than overexertion.

Just keep in mind that it is best to feel good both physically and mentally, try and keep focus on the goals you want to achieve and don't feel too stressed or depressed. A good mind and body can lead to a healthier person and in turn if you feel confident about your objectives and try to reach it, you will be able to.

P.S a gym isn't really necessary to achieve weight loss, i for one hate going to gyms with their fees and indoor scenery, for me it's better to go for walks or a jog outdoors rather than run on one spot for 2 hours.
BigM

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:51 am

Same here Big M. I go to a gym only to use their badminton facilities and I see people driving around for ages to find a park close to the door, only to use the elevator to do 20 mins on a stairstepper :? :lol:

I prefer to save money by walking rather than driving, exercising for free outside or at home rather than at a gym where I would only feel intimidated anyway.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby hushpuppy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:22 am

Welcome lynda . I agree i hate gyms not only to they cost the earth but i dont see the point in sweating it out on some stationary thing . Do u have any parks or such nearby , u could take a stroll down there every day or even hire out a dvd or vid from your local library or store > i even boogy to hi 5 with my kids sometimes LOL (lucky we have tinted windows so no one can see)

Cheers Jules
[url=http://www..com]Image[blinkiebee/url]
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg
hushpuppy

Return to Introductions