It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:14 pm

Free Newsletter

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Collette » Mon Jun 20, 2005 3:35 pm

I was searching for tips and help with weight loss and I found this forum :) Ok

Where should i start? :P

My name is Collette, I'm 25 and I live in Perth.
I use to be 59kgs then I fell pregnant with my eldest child and gained 28kgs, After that I gained further and went up to a whopping 106kgs I went the doctors in 2002 and she prescribed me Reductil and In august 2003 I weighed 76kgs, But then i fell pregnant with my youngest child and gained it all back :( so Here i am now at 103.7kgs I started back on the weight loss 3 weeks ago i was 105.7kgs. I'm hoping to get does to 59kgs again which is about average for my height (5ft 2)

I am trying to get myself motivated again, I use to exercise 90 minutes a day on a gravity walker but because i have not done much in the past 18 months I've had to start off at 30 minutes per day. I'm hoping to start 2x 30 minutes on the gravity walker on Saturday, Just got to get a routine going since my son is 13½ months and his nap times jump around :)

But I know i can do it and WILL do it :) just got to take one day at a time and a kilo at a time, I haven't looked about this weight loss forum much so far but everyone seems really friendly and I can't wait to get to know everyone :)

Collette :)

Postby Serena » Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:14 pm

Hi collette, welcome aboard. I just joined last week myself and it seems a good way to keep motivated by staying in contact with people who completely understand what you're going through. If we stick with it we might all reach our goals together.

Postby hushpuppy » Mon Jun 20, 2005 8:50 pm

Welcome collette
Like me i put on heaps of weight aftert having my youngest . This forum s a great motivator and the ppl are great . Hope to see u around the boards
Cheers jules
SW 107kg
CW 99.8kg
GW 65kg

Postby Maraver » Tue Jun 21, 2005 8:20 am

Hi Collette and welcome so nice to see you here, I lived in Perth for twenty years and do miss the place , I lived in Thornlie, South of the River there
Hope we can help you and you can encourage us to find this thin person that ;ies with in us all, well not so much thin but healthier

Postby Collette » Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:40 pm

Thank you for the welcome messages :)

Maraver: I live South of the river now near Rockingham, I am not originally from Australia, My parents brought me to Australia Feb 1997 from Birmingham UK, I haven't seen much of Australia as yet just the closer parts of Perth North and South of the river but thats only ever the furthest i've been, I'm hoping to travel a bit of Australia when the kids grow up and finish school and in the mean time just concerntrate on building a home and life here :)

I have bits of knowledge about weight loss such as, Motabolisum, calorie intake, muscle mass etc etc I'm hoping I can help others as much as I was helped and are being helped now :)
I use to go on another board but due to most of them living in USA it was hard to form bonds when you feel outside of the group (they use to meet up in places in US not convient for me) so i searched for an AU board :)

I learnt a few pointers when I was with the other board but one mainly was never depend on the scales alone, Measurements are a good way to determine how well you've done, even if the scales have said you gained or sticking to the same weight, Photo's were my personal favourite, I use to feel good at the end of each month seeing the difference. I also learnt that weight loss does not happen over night it's persistance that wins in the ends, but i also learnt alot about how many calories i should eat to loose what i wanted but at the same time not being too silly with restricting too many calories...I also learnt that one bad day does not make the whole weight loss process failed that you pick up and continue but not only that I learnt that when you have a bunch of people who are in the same situation as you can make a big difference in your life as well as there's a congratulations makes a big difference to a person :) Oh i'm just rambling on again.

My point was though that I'm here and willing to encourage and support and help others as well as the obvious :)

Welcome Colly

Postby Scott » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:21 pm

Welcome on board Colly, you're our first new friend from WA!

Getting into a routine is the key isn't it? Starting off slowly is the best way to get started and if you stick to it you just know the weight will come off.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your challenges and successes and I'm sure we all look forward to hearing about those kilos coming off.

Postby Collette » Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:27 pm

yes Routine is needed, I know i found it harder to get started this time because of not having a good routine, 3 weeks later i have a good routine and it is getting much easier, but also as i think you have said in a few posts when i was reading, that starting small and gradually building up is the best way I agree completely.

I tried jumping straight on my walker and doing 90 minutes and when i couldn't do it i lost motivation, I started again by doing 15 minutes and when it felt good i went to 20 minutes and now i'm at 30 minutes and it feels much better, It's kinder to the body too :P

Postby Scott » Thu Jun 23, 2005 5:43 pm

So many people get discouraged by the thought of having to "kill" themselves with exercise to lose weight and this is what stops them.

When it comes to exercise, anything is better than nothing and it all adds up.

If you take it easy to begin with, it actually gets easier in time.

I hope a few more people read our posts and it stops them from making the mistakes that we've all made at some point or another.

Scott. :)

Postby Collette » Thu Jun 23, 2005 9:58 pm

Yeah :)

But it's not just with Exercise either,

Food - Another which causes discouragement.

Before i started my weight loss in 2002 I would try and loose weight and do crash diets or just eat salads and nothing else I would exercise and exhaust myself.. Sure i would loose 5kgs in one week but it was all water and starving myself. I then would gain 10kgs. When i went the doctors in 2002 My DR explained to me that those like myself who didn't eat or ate very little (I would eat just dinner and that was it) would gain weight because the body would resort back to like the cave men times, The body would store all the food/turned it in to body fat because it would never know when the next meal would be therefor the person gains weight as well as bodyfat.

My Dr put me on a 1300 calorie diet, I groaned thinking it was not very much but i made up a week food planner and i couldn't believe how much i had to eat I had to increase in fats because the fat contents was very low and the carbs was also very low, Which is another thing my DR warned me, She said not to do any Carb diets because we need carbs in our daily intake since thats where alot of the energy we have comes from. Once i started eating I became less tired, faint and dizzy and more energetic. I think when people hear the words "diet" and "loose weight" they think it's all rabbit food.

I know Personally, that I had alot of freedom in what i ate as long as it was moderated, If i was a good girl and kept close to the daily calorie intake and I wanted a small chocolate bar, i would go out for a 20 minute - 30 minute walk or jump on my stepping machine which on it's own made me feel rrefreshed but it gave me the freedom and choice so with just doing that extra 30 minutes I was rewarded with feeling good as well as knowing that eating that kit kat was not going to ruin my weekly weight loss :)

I don't know if it would for others but just my experience that worked for me, I lost 35kgs in 14 months back then. This time It's slower but I'm happy with the slower pace I don't feel like I need to rush like i felt back then, I know either way I will be looking at a thinner me by the end of this year even if it's not the goal weight, it's better than now :)

Hi Collete - I'm from WA too!

Postby Hayley » Fri Jun 24, 2005 7:52 pm

Hey girl,

My name is Hayley and I joined this group about 2 and a half weeks ago (although I haven't achieved anything since then!).

I am 25 turning 26 and have a 23 month old son, Connor. Like you, I put on heaps of weight while preganant and since then, too!I was brought up in Guildford, WA. Then I moved to Kununurra with my husband to teach in the primary school. I moved back to Perth in April last year to teach for 3 terms and am currently living in Exmouth near the beautiful Ningaloo Reef! I teach yr6/7 and love living here.

I'd love to get to know you better. It's great to have someone else from WA, who is the same age and has young children.

Good luck :D

Postby Collette » Fri Jun 24, 2005 9:28 pm

Hey Hayley :)

I agree it is nice to meet someone with simiar situations :) to ALMOST down to the teaching, If it wasn't for my parents bringing me to Australia I would have become a pre-primary/year 1-2 teacher, Since I was 15 I decided i wanted to teach children and did my 2 week work experience in a primary school near where i lived, the kids and I got on very well, I worked with Pre-primary, year 1 and year 3 children and it was really good, I had a really nice letter from the principle who said she would have no hesitations in employing me and she offered me a job as a teachers aid while I studied but I sadly I turned the job down because of coming here... I didn't do any courses here because i didn't know how to go about it so i started working at Target and then I fell pregnant with my daughter so i took time off to look after her and hoped to start back to work sometime after she was born, But unfortunatly there was complications during the ending of the pregnancy and when she was born, that going back to work was put off. My daughter is blind in her left eye, A squint(eyes are always shaking) she has an abnormally large brain and she has sugar drops every few years which puts her in to a mild coma (well she withdraws into her self and only reacts to pain) so until she started Pre-primary i was unable to work with all the hospital appointments but then... I had my son so the working has been on hold BUT I'm planning on doing an accounting course IF of course they allow home study for it, I'm hoping to be able to go into a decent good paid job once Reece (my son who's 14 months) is in school :)

Where is Exmouth? Ningaloo Reef?? hehe can't you tell I don't know Australia very well :P

Well i've rambled on once again! I wish I could loose weight by typing! lol

I better go and exercise I couldn't do it this afternoon when i normally do because my darling son was being a little monster and wouldn't sleep!

Return to Introductions