It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:37 am

Free Newsletter

I'm Very new to this and wondering if I can stick it out.

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

I'm Very new to this and wondering if I can stick it out.

Postby HeatherL » Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:46 pm

Hi everyone,

After digging out the old scales and finding that I'd piled on 20kg ( I didn't think it was that much) since I last weighed myself I have decided to do something about it.

My biggest problem is that I am a food and coca cola addict. I'm pretty sure I can give up the coke but low fat food gives me the shudders. Do you think if I cut to half serves of the same stuff and walk for about 1hour each day that will help to lose that 20 kg. I am aiming to lose that by summer.

Heather
HeatherL

Postby chubba momma » Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:27 pm

welcome Heather im new too and i feel exactly the same as you!!!
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:11 pm

Hi heather and welcome to the forum! The thing about weight loss is that there are so many ways to do it and different people find different things successful. If your portion sized are large, then reducing them and exercising may well go a long way to helping. I'd suggest keeping a food/exercise diary to start with so that you know where you stand!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:13 pm

welcome heather- whereabouts on the central coast are you from?

i was addicted to coca cola too and never drank water at all. you just need to take small steps to start with so you can stick with it for the long term.

sing out if you need any advice or tips
kate_turner2000

Postby HeatherL » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:16 pm

Thanks for the tip, I'm going out tomorrow to buy a calorie counter and a diary, and the first walk starts tomorrow.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6iLTpk/]
HeatherL

Postby HeatherL » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:19 pm

hi Kate,
How nice to see a local on the forum. I'm from Tacoma, near Wyong. Looks to me as if you've been going great guns. Keep up the good work. Actually it was seeing how supportive you are to other members that motivated me to join, cause I know I won't be able to do this alone.
HeatherL

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:22 pm

aw thanks heather :) i try to be there for everyone because i know how hard it is and i received an incredible amount of support this time last year when i started losing weight from this forum.

i am up at summerland point- near lake munmorah :) small world huh!
kate_turner2000

Postby HeatherL » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:25 pm

Our family often go up there to catch squid off the wharf, but now I'll have to find some different recipes instead of the usual breadcrumbs and deep fry. Bugger!!!
HeatherL

Postby Chelle » Wed Aug 15, 2007 2:38 am

Hi heather welcome to the forum :D
Chelle

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:31 am

HeatherL wrote:Our family often go up there to catch squid off the wharf, but now I'll have to find some different recipes instead of the usual breadcrumbs and deep fry. Bugger!!!

LOL sorry i cant help ya with that one, i dont eat seafood- but i have swam in the lake with the squid many times ;)
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:41 am

Hi Heather and welcome to the forum.

Cleaning up your eating a bit such as reducing or stopping the coke and having half serves may do the trick with plenty of exercise. It all depends on your goals as well but you may find that after a while just the exercise won’t be enough and you may need to look at what you are eating. Start off simply and whatever you do, try to make it something you can live with for life.

All the best on your weightloss journey.
:D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Re: I'm Very new to this and wondering if I can stick it out

Postby loveat116 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:26 am

HeatherL wrote:Hi everyone,

After digging out the old scales and finding that I'd piled on 20kg ( I didn't think it was that much) since I last weighed myself I have decided to do something about it.

My biggest problem is that I am a food and coca cola addict. I'm pretty sure I can give up the coke but low fat food gives me the shudders. Do you think if I cut to half serves of the same stuff and walk for about 1hour each day that will help to lose that 20 kg. I am aiming to lose that by summer.

Heather

Hi Heather, welcome to the forum!

I was a massive coke fan too. I switched from Coke to Water and now I would never go back! Its amazine how much better you feel and how much better your skin looks when your drinking more water, and less fizzy drinks.

You can definatly lose those 20kg! Walking every day is a great idea, great for fat burning.

Good luck!
Starting Weight: 62kg Current Weight: 55.0kg Goal Weight: 54kg

Goal Reached 22 February 2008, Must get down to 54kg again!
loveat116

Postby grugwashere » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:19 pm

Hey there,

I managed to lose about 9 kilos by just eating less... but that doesnt mean it was good for me. i still ate maccas and junky food.. just less of it.

but you need to think of your health not just your waist. im always petrified that if i dont do something about the qaulity of food i am eating i will die of a heart attack before i even have kids.

you dont have to completely give up the things you love, everything in moderation... losing weight can be done eating decent food-not just salads lol.

meat and three veg for dinner can be perfectly fine for you, just grill the meat instead of frying.

so yes it is possible to lose weight by just lowering the ammount of food you eat... but your body wont be any better off for it.

good luck
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby HeatherL » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:04 pm

Thanks everyone for the tips. I am actually a bit headachy and I think that is from the coke withdrawals. I am hoping it goeas away after a few days. I walked 6km today but found it a bit much so tomorrow I'll cut back and build up slowly.

I am watching what I eat now aswell. All veges are now steamed, meat grilled, skin comes off chicken and fat removed from meat before I cook it. Bread has gone from white to wholegrain ( hey it really tastes good) and I only scrape the butter on .

The support from everyone is fantastic. I can't thank you enough.
HeatherL

Postby milkyway » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:29 pm

Hi Heather and welcome to the forum.

I've experienced headaches from caffeine withdrawl before - they usually kick in at about 2-3pm if I don't have a Pepsi Max!

Would you consider switching to a diet coke or Pepsi Max or some other diet variety as a way of weening yourself off the Coke? (But not too much as the aspartame is not healthy for you).

You may find as time goes on that you actually WANT to eat healthier. Feeling better about yourself and gaining confidence as you lose weight, getting better skin etc. are all motivating for putting something healthy into your body :)

Good luck! I look forward to hearing about your progress.
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Next

Return to Introductions