It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 3:39 pm

Free Newsletter

Hello! + Me, so far.

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hello! + Me, so far.

Postby MTE » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:49 am

Hey people.
I just recently (Today, really.) found the forum and I thought I’d stick around for a while, see if it helps.

I thought I’d share my story so far.

I’m not really sure why I decided to lose weight. I think it came mostly from talking with a new friend I’d made when I started Uni about cycling. I’d done it rarely when I was a little kid and had enjoyed it. So when my birthday came around, I decided I’d ask that if family members were going to buy me something, it be that. I guess I decided then that there was no point in exercising if I wasn’t going to try to lose weight otherwise. So, on my 21st birthday, I got a bicycle and I started trying to lose weight.

At first it was all about controlling my snacking and portion sizes. I started eating exclusively from microwavable meals so as to limit how much I ate. This worked quite fine but I quickly tired of the rather poor food they contained but now, having learnt better portion control, it’s not such an issue. All my exercise has been on my bike. I started riding and went about 7km on my first ride and wow was I tired. As time went on though, I’ve gotten better and have been travelling further.

On the 22nd of August 2006, I was approximately 190kg.
Once I found scales that would accommodate me, on the 19th of October, 2006, I weighed 178kg.
Today, the 4th of September 2007, I weigh 137kg.
I try to do my usual ride, 28.8km on a flatish track (The whole track, 2hrs.), 3 times a week.

I still have far to go. To be a healthy BMI at my height, I must be 90kg. (I’m 191cm tall, 6 foot 3.)

Winter’s been a struggle. It’s hard to want to rise when there’s a cold wind blowing or it’s raining. But I’ve managed to do it a bit lately.
For a while now, I’ve been buying interesting t-shirts that I want to wear in sizes to small for me. It’s really a great feeling to find out one day that they do actually fit.

Anyway, as I said, I hope I can find usefulness in the forum and be able to help others where I can. You all certainly seem nice and very supportive. I hope I can contribute to that.
MTE

Postby Maraver » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:41 am

Hi and welcome and well done I checked out your photos and hey what a difference I like the idea of buying th Tshirts in the smaller sizes good inspiration
We are a good bunch on here and I am sure you will give and recieve heaps of support
Pam
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:51 am

hey mte just wondering how old you were? welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing a bit about yourself. its nice to get some background on some people from the group. theres a guy on this forum who loves cycling as well his name is Yogi-Bear. im sure you could share some tips with him if you wanted to. congrats on the weightloss thus far. and best wishes
kate_turner2000

Postby Chelle » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:08 am

Welcome to the forum MTE, what a great birthday present, :shock: WOW you must be so wrapped of how much weight you have loss & your family as well. That is wonderfull. Everyone on here are really nice & excellent for motivation, goodluck on your weightloss journey!!
Chelle

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:47 am

Another Hobartian cyclist!! Welcome!! Cycling is a great activity IMHO. But the weather can be a bit of a bummer. I ride to uni/work and home most days (37km return max from uni, work is 22 I think) and leave at about 7am - it's veen bitter cold at that time recently! But an extra pair gloves, jacket and neck warmer and all is good!

Good luck with it!

Oh by the way, where do you ride?? the inter city cycleway is fantastic and if you want a scenic ride I can recommend the pipeline track (so long as you have apropriate tyres cause it's gravel).
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby lng86 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:58 am

What an interesting story. Congratulations on losing such a large amount of weight already. I started my weightloss journey on my 21st birthday also. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders!

Best wishes,
Lauren.
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby MTE » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:14 pm

Thanks for the comments guys.

The ride I mentioned is the whole of the Intercity cycleway (Hobart - Claremont and back) plus to and from my house.

I'll have to look into the pipeline track. I hadn't jheard of it.
MTE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:22 pm

the pipeline starts at Fern Tree and winds around the side of the mountain. If you start from Fern Tree there are a couple of bits you have to get off for (negotiating rocky steps, and over narrow bridges/tight bends) or you can start from Neika fro a nice wide track all the way to the wellington Falls turnoff - take a bike chain and walk to the falls, it would be gorgeous this time of year!!

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:03 pm

Hey were you on the bike track this arvo (Tues)?? I passed someone about 4:30 as I was heading towards Claremont just past Glenorchy that I thought looked like your pics, wearing a green shirt (not that it's easy to identify people cause of helmets etc)??

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby KimE » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:35 pm

Hello MTE and welcome aboard

Wow, you have done so well so far so congrats on your loss to date, you should be very proud of your achievement. Your healthier choices are obviously doing wonders for you.

Keep up the great work and you will get there. All the very best on your weightloss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby MTE » Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:11 pm

Yeah. I was on the track, wearing a green t-shirt, one that's rather large for me these days.
MTE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:58 pm

Cool! gee I've got a good memory for faces!!! I was wearing black/dk gray jumper, dk blue trackies and red and black panniers - but I expect you won't remember! LOL

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Introductions