It is currently Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:34 am

Free Newsletter

Newbie here!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Newbie here!

Postby Bread-Monster » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:23 am

Hello there, I've been watching this forum for a while but never contributed. I like the community here, so supportive and nice. I find I need a little motivation here and there to help me lose a bit of weight and keep it off. I don't really have much to lose since I've already lost a bit before I came here and now I just need a little bit of help to lose that teeny tiny bit extra (which refuses to budge) and keep myself fit and healthy.

Here's my story:

The Goal
All throughout highschool I have always been chubby. At 17 I weighed 58kg (at 5'3), which would have been fine...only I was really unhealthy. My parents would feed me anything and everything which meant any attempt to get fit and lose weight was sabotaged. In year 12, I was confronted with what I wanted to do: Be a Scientist/Doctor/Engineer or Join the Defence force. I thought for a while. I decided for a while and chose to do ALL of them. Problem was, option 4 was difficult. I was unfit, fat and healthy, and I didn't feel like signing my life away because if I did, I couldn't be any of the first 3. I studied, got my results, didn't get into medicine, but got into the other two. One goal left, how was I going to get my butt off the coach and join the reserves?

The Plan
At that time I was having a pretty rough time at home and when I turned 18, I moved out of home and lived accross from uni. At that point, I was really poor. I had to watch my budget because text books were expensive. First semester I ended up spending $400 on text books. Ouch. I also had HECS on my plate and didn't get any support from my Dad and Stepmom. Luckily, my Mother (who lived and still lives in England) sent me some money, but it was enough to pay for rent and books. Well, as you can guess, I took it as an opportunity to start losing weight and getting fit.

I lived on $20 of food a week, I was constantly starving, I woke up at 7am to go running and I worked REALLY hard at Uni because I was determined not to fail. I eventually got down to 48kg within a 3 months. That's 10kg in 3 months. Within that time I trained myself to run 10km in an hour.

I did my army fitness test to be enlisted in april (last year). I -just- passed. We had to run a horrendous beep test at 9 am in the morning. I had to wake up at 6 to catch the train down to the barracks to do it. That morning I had period pain, I was starving, and I was feeling sick. I did it anyway. By the last 3 beeps, I was dying. I forced myself to go because I didn't want the 3 navy recruits who were doing the test with me to laugh at me. I pushed through and passed...nearly passed out though. I enlisted in June into the Army reserves, went off to Kapooka in November (last year).

I was the skinniest thing in the platoon, but I wasn't the weakest. I did more push ups than any of the girls, I did more sit ups, I was, however, always exhaust, uncoordinated and failed my army swim test because I was tired, weak and hungry. In Kapooka, I couldn't resist the all-you-can-eat canteen. My weightloss scheme went out the window and I ate huge plates of steamed vegetables, meats, salads and dessert with ice cream and custard EVERY NIGHT for dinner. It was paradise! Granted they worked us like dogs so I was really hungry but it wasn't an excuse. I put on weight, up to 50kg. meanwhile, I lost fitness because the new course didn't incorporate a lot of PT (physical training). I marched out of kapooka, into my boyfriend's arms, at 50.5kg. Full, healthy and happy to be out of there! that was my ideal Weight, but not my Ideal fitness.

5 days after march out, I had to go back to England to see my mum. My boyfriend came with me. That's when the weight came back. My Mum owned a take away shop with lots of delicious food. needless to say, I returned to Australia after 4 weeks weighing 54kg. My hard work...ouch.

And now..
I've moved in with my boyfriend. We hardly do exercise, we eat take out often, but I've lost some weight. It's down to 51.5kg but I am REALLY unfit. Before I went to kapooka, I did 35 push ups, 150 sit ups, ran 10km in under an hour, did 3 chin ups and a 2 minute arm hang. Now I can hardly go up the steps in the engineering department at uni without getting a little tired. on top of that, I have a fitness assessment for the army coming up soon and I don't think I can pass. Right now, my priority is this:

-Ace my Exams (That's going to be HARD since I keep falling asleep in lectures)
-Get back down to 50kg
-Get back to my previous state of fitness, only better

hopefully I didn't bore you all. I have a plan and I have been slowly implementing it and unwittingly dragging my friends into it as well. I'll tell you all later if you're interested. Right now, I had a class in 30 minutes and I need to get down to uni. See you all![/b]

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:27 am

hi and welcome to the forum! Sounds like you have met some of your goals already so you already know that if you put the effort in you get the results! You might even be able to get your boyfriend involved in some exercise so that it benefits him as well! Look forward to hearing about your progress!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby sassi » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:45 am

hi & welcome. that wasn't boring at all!

it sounds like you know what you need to do, so hopefully we can support you on the journey :)

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:16 pm

welcome to the group. no wonder you put a few kilos on at kapooka going from 20 bucks a week for food and starving to all you can eat! it must have been like heaven! best wishes for your goals :) my brother in law is a warden officer 2 and is off to iraq in a couple of months :)

Postby KimE » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:06 pm

Hi and welcome aboard.

That was a great read. Watch the food intake though as if you are doing plenty of exercise your body needs to be fueled properly so you don't become exhausted.

You can do it. Best of luck with everything. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby Bread-Monster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:50 am

Thanks for the support guys. After I got off the forum, I felt a new sense of self. I didn't fall asleep in class and I watch what I ate. With your help, I'll be back to my old self in no time. :D

Return to Introductions