It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:36 pm

Free Newsletter

I want to lose my excess weight!

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Dolly » Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:02 pm

For all the people here that love avocado's, sure they are full of nutrients but they are also full of weight gaining fat.
At my weight watchers class we were asked to avoid them until we were on maintenance.
1 was following a 25gram fat per day diet and did not know ½ an avocado was over 30 grams of fat. I was still also using 1 teaspoon of fat (olive oil) to fry my chicken or fish with for dinner.

Here's an item I just found about them that was on the internet.

One Avocado has 4 grams of protein, 15 gms carbohydrate and 31 grams of fat. So avocados are mostly fat. However, it is a good fat because avocados contain monounsaturated fat (19 gms in 1 avocado) like olive oil and peanut oil.

So choose avocados like you would any other fat source. If you choose to eat 1/2 avocado per day, you are eating 3 fat servings (diabetic exchanges) which should fit in a healthy eating plan. Or you could compare avocados to the Food Guide Pyramid where 1 medium avocado is a serving of fruit. Hope this isn't confusing, but depending on how you keep track of your food intake (diabetic exchanges or the food guide pyramid), avocados are one of those foods that could be in either group. I would choose the fat group since fat is the predominant nutrient.
Dolly

Postby Jenni » Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:26 pm

Thats interesting Dolly. i really enjoy my avocado but i try to eat only a few slices a day - i will definately try and cut that down now that i know there's 30g of fat in just one!!!

Jen
Jenni

New to the challenge

Postby Squidge » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:10 pm

Hi All

I'm not new to the weight loss rollercoaster. I know how to lose the weight but I can't seem to keep that weight loss 'button' switched on. So here I am, trying something new! Looking for support and making myself accountable to someone other than me!

25kg to get to my goal weight and I would like to be alsmost there by June 06 when I go on my next annual shopping trip.

Here's to the me I see in my dreams!! :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Squidge

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:38 pm

Hi Squidge, and welcome on board!! You will definitely get lots of support on this forum! Be sure to check out the food and exercise diaries!
Cheers,
Tegan
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Jenni » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:18 pm

Gday Squidge! Im also not so new to this weight loss bizzo but i think joining this forum has been the best thing ive done! Ive lost a fair bit of weight and i enjoy tracking because when i see improvment it motivates me to keep on going! The people on here are fantastic, they're non judgemental because we are all (well most of us) in the same boat!

Good luck - i reckon June is a great goal!
Jenni

Postby Dolly » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:34 pm

Hi Squidge, welcome to the forum.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Angel » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:53 pm

Hi Squidge,

Welcome to the forum, you've come to the right place. I've been on the forum for a month now and the motivation, tips etc you get from everyone is fantastic - definitely a good move.

Catch you in the forum,
Angel
[/url]
Angel

Postby carleyjt » Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:59 am

Hey squidge.....This forum has really kicked me into gear to get healthy and lose weight. When i feel slack i think of going another week without moving my ticker and i quickly get moving.

See you around :D
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
carleyjt

Postby Squidge » Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:33 am

Thanks all for the very warm welcome! As I mentioned I am not new to this game and know how to do it. As a result, I have picked up quite a bit of useful information along the way. I hope I will be able to make use of it by sharing with the forum.

My challenge is to stop eating for emotional reasons and the pure satisaction I get from eating. You see, I love food! But I have to learn to eat for nourishment not nuture!

Cheers, Squidge :roll:
[/url]
Squidge

Postby Groovychic » Wed Feb 01, 2006 8:59 am

At least you know why you are eating Squidge. I think that is the first step to losing excess fat. And having the forum and writing in the exercise/food diaries you can really track where you are eating the naughty things etc. I love the personal diaries. And it is great cos you can be perfectly honest with everything you are doing without thinking o what is that person going to think of me! This month that I have been part of the forum has been great for motivation. I have finally lost 1kg. I have been trying for a long time to even lose just that 1. And it is still off.....yay! I expected to get on the scales this morning and it would say I had put it back on cos I keep thinking its a fluke but no it still says 70. I have had a lot more confidence in what I have been doing to lose the fat and feel much better about myself, even when the scales weren't moving!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby thinkthin » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:47 pm

Jenni,

I"m curious. Waht diet are you on. hoe did you manage to get down to 75.4 kilos so quickly. Great taht you lossing. Keep it up.
url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
thinkthin

Previous

Return to Introductions