It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:02 am

Free Newsletter

Hey there

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Hey there

Postby dannyboi » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:38 pm

Hey everyone,

I've decided to finally do something about my weight situation, after spending most of my childhood and teenage years being overweight and obese.
Hoping that this forum and the accompanying website can give me the strength and motivation to lose weight and look forward to a great future. The strongest motivation is to lose weight to be healthy, and avoid the risks of being obese.

I'm 19 years old and currently studying at uni. Currently, I weigh 115kg and I'm 181cm tall. (that leaves my BMI pretty high in the 35s or so)
I'm really getting tired of making excuses for myself and not doing the adequate amount of exercise and not watching what I'm eating.
I'm making a promise to anyone who would read this that I'll lose weight and reach my target of 90kg (although this is still technically overweight). I'm thinking that breaking a promise to someone else is a lot harder than making a 'promise' to myself.
Hope that you guys can support me.

- danny

PS: It seems like there's a lack of men in this forum/website. Is it simply that it's directed at women or that men are more likely to not believe that they have a problem?
dannyboi

Postby lng86 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:48 pm

Hi,

Great work for taking the first step and actually acknowledging that you have a weight problem. It takes a lot of courage to do so.

Best wishes for your journey. We are here for support and possibly guidance also (if needed).

There are a number of men on the site. Look at Donk - he has successfully lost 40kg. Also Immortal... Sparky... Just to name a few. They just don't visit the site as frequently as we women do!!!

Don't give up... Your goal is most definitely achievable. How are you planning on changing your lifestyle? And what are you studying at uni? Tell me all!

Best of luck,
Lauren.
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby dannyboi » Sat Sep 08, 2007 2:58 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

It seems like you've done quite well on your goal as well. Gives me even more motivation to succeed!

I'm planning of focusing on two exercise options for me, specifically doing weights and walking.
I'm doing weights since I understand that building muscle is essential for weight loss since you need to tone up as well, and that muscles themselves require more energy to maintain plus I like doing weights. I've been walking less and less compared with high school and the first year of uni. Since my uni lectures are all in one area which is close the station, I've found that I don't need to walk that much around uni for my classes.
One way I've tried to avoid the lack of walking exercise is by walking to the other side of campus to get a newspaper, or walking off campus (a good 30 min round trip) during lunchtime for lunch or checking out the shops.
Been trying to use the exercise bike at home, but I get bored really easily. Maybe I can fight this and make it a routine I can stick to.

As for uni, I'm in my 2nd year studying for a degree in Civil Engineering. A bit over 2 years left (if I don't fail any of my courses!).
- danny
dannyboi

Postby lng86 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:06 pm

Sounds like you have things worked out with your head. I like the combination of cardio and weights - exactly what I am doing.

What about food? Are you going to change what you have been eating in any ways?
To succeed you need to find something to hold on to, something to motivate you, something to inspire you - Myself (Lauren)
lng86

Postby dannyboi » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:15 pm

Forgot to mention the food bit.

I know that ideally, it's better to have many small meals during the day rather than cramming large meals in.
Can't really say I've thought that aspect through though. I start the day off in a hurry and really just grab anything for breakfast, sometimes healthy, sometimes not!
At uni, I generally wait til 1pm before having lunch and then heading home for dinner at around 7.

I'm thinking of eating less and getting rid of all the accessible junk food around the house. If I do end up wanting a snack in between meals, only fruit and healthier snacks would be in my reach.

Do you think that calorie counting would be an effective option for watching the intake?
Something like a meat pie would take up 25% of my energy daily requirement, but honestly I can say that could stuff myself with a lot more than only 4 pies/equivalents in a day.
- danny
dannyboi

Postby lng86 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:47 pm

My advice would be to go onto the calorie king website. It will give you an approximate amount of calories you should eat daily... And there is an option of a mealplan too.

I recommend that you eat three meals and two snacks a day. Eating every 2-3 hours increases your metabolism quite dramatically and also decreases the likelihood of you overeating.

Basically, you need to combine exercise with proper eating. Are you drinking much water? It is recommended to drink 2L of water per day.

This sounds extremely hard, I know... But honestly it is not. The first few days are the hardest... And then your body learns to adapt. If you have any questions, please ask me... Anything at all - in regards to what I am eating... Or how much exercise I do. Absolutely anything! I am more than willing to help.
lng86

Postby ali » Sat Sep 08, 2007 4:01 pm

Well I think everything has been pretty much covered already, but WELCOME! Lol :lol:

I think checking up on the cals in food is important but whether you choose to count cals is up to you - some ppl find it too restrictive, etc. Ive noticed that just learning whats in food and how much I can eat a day is really helpful - I was surprised at how much I was actually consuming a day before, because I thought I was pretty good - no wonder I put on weight! Lol.

Im also 19 and at uni - so hey we have something in common! Lol.

Anyway, just wanted to say hi and good luck with your weight loss journey!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0XqXGi/]
[/url]
GOAL 1: 59KG - 30/12/07
GOAL 2: 56KG
GOAL 3: 53KG
ali

Postby chubba momma » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi there and welcome! Just wanted to say good luck with your weightloss journey! :D
NO MORE EXCUSES!!
chubba momma

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:54 pm

welcome to the group danny, although the forum appears dominated by females we do have a handful of *cough* gentlemen. im sure you will fit in here either way as we are all so supportive :) best wishes
kate_turner2000

Postby dannyboi » Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:30 pm

Thanks for the positive encouragement from everyone.

Day 1 and I'm feeling great already after a jog, some weights and a proper meal.
Have to keep the fluid levels up.

Thanks to everyone again.

- Danny
- danny
dannyboi

Postby KimE » Sun Sep 09, 2007 4:35 pm

Hello Danny and welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you have a great plan with a sensible approach. Never understimate how good walking is for you.

I wish you every success on your weightloss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi danny and welcome to the forum! sounds like everyone has given you some good advice so far - any questions, sing out!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Return to Introductions