It is currently Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:51 pm

Free Newsletter

Can I join too?

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Can I join too?

Postby pommiegirl » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:52 pm

I've been reading your forum with interest over the last few weeks and have only just plucked up the courage to join!

I'm a 36 year old working mother of two children who weight has been increasing over the years. I'm feeling at a very low ebb and confused with all the diets on the market. At present I have embarked on a healthy eating lifestyle and have incorporated running in to my weekly routine. I'm currently running between 7 - 9 kms a night 4 times a week. Unfortunately the weight isn't falling off quick enough for me! I weighed in a couple of weeks ago at 78kilos, a week ago at 73kilos and this week at 75 kilos. I don't understand it. I didn't think I had fallen off the wagon that badly. I had been tempted a couple of times but not enough to stack on 2 kilos while I've been running!

Anyhow I"m not going to dwell on it. I can't get the ticker thing on my page so any advice would be welcome!

Looking forward to loosing around 10 kilos for my holiday in June and also growing my hair long. This will be no mean feat in itself (the growing of the hair). So if anyone has any tips on this score as well it would be most appreciated.

Thanks for reading this while I'm droning on, hopefully next time I post I will be in a really positive mood. I'm going to TGI Fridays tonight so if anyone has got any good tips for the menu, would be great!

Pommiegirl! (Thanks for your reply Butterfly Dawn! I think I originally posted this in the wrong area.............)

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:59 pm

Hi Pommiegirl and welcome to the forum!! Congratulations on getting up the courage to join in, we're glad to have you on board!

A healthy eating plan will not only have good effects on your weight, it will also help your hair to grow as you will be getting a balanced mix of all the vitamins, minerals and good fats and proteins needed for healthy, shiny hair!!

Congratulations on your initial loss - that's a fantastic amount to lose in one week! Try not to get too disheartened by an increase as thre are a whole range of reasons why this may be.

Did you weigh yourself at the same time of day in the same clothes? Is it near that time of the month? Some people finds this makes them retain fluid or bloat and thus weigh heavier. If you have just started intensive exercise, it may be muscle bulk that has tipped the scales - the scales can't tell the difference between good muscle and bad fat. Also, make sure you are eating regularly and don't make the mistake of severely restricting your eating - when I started, I tried to do this and quickly discovered the effects. Your body thinks it's starving, slows your metabolism and stores everything you put in it. I put on something like 4+ kilos in a week taking me far above where I'd started.

Mostly, keep at it. Weight loss can be slow. Sometimes you lose a heap to start with and then it slows right down. You just have to persevere.

Oh and for the ticker, just click on someone else's ticker which will take you to a site where you can create your own. Follow the instructions and at the end you will get a range of codes. Copy the bb code and paste it in to your profile (see link profile at the top of this forum page) in the signatures section.

Cheers, Tegan

I moved my reply to here for continuity and I can delete your oringinal one from 12 week challenge if you like.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby Dolly » Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:13 pm

Hi Pommiegirl, welcome to the forum.
I see Tegan has already given you excellent instruction on how to work the ticker graph thingy.
click here -

If you have any further questions, please just ask away.

Postby Fairie » Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:40 pm

Hi Pommiegirl,

Welcome to the forum and all the best with your weightloss journey. :D

Hi there!

Postby sokbee » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:43 pm

Glad to meet another newby here... As I am new to the forum too.

Well, as on your running, you are doing way better than I was, I walk for 5km 4-5 time each week. After 1 month, I lost 1kg.

And, since then I went on Admin Censored Supplement, and within 1 month, I've lost 5 kg.

Keep trying, Sista!
I am trying to lose weight badly, as I wanted to be healthy and feel good, sexy and I just want to be in control again. I want to be in control of my life and off course my body, and the way I look!

Postby shabbychic » Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:38 pm

Hi pommiegirl. Welcome. I am a newbie also and I'm sure we will find all the help and support we need on this forum to reach our goals.
Create your own reality & live the dream

Postby Angel » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:25 pm

Hey Pommiegirl,

Good on you for having the courage to join us at the forum, there will be no looking back. Everyone here is supportive, full of advice and encouragement, and no one is judgemental so you need never be embarrassed by the things you admit or questions you ask.

As Tegan said, your weight shift could be for many different reasons. I find it useful to keep a food diary and write down everything I eat, it's amazing how easy it is to eat more than you should if you don't write it down - selective memory I think its called :lol: . Its really useful when you have a week where you have gained, or lost a very small amount you can go back over it and see where you could improve. Just a thought.

Your weight shift could also be due to muscle, it weighs more than fat after all.

Good luck on your weightloss journey,
catch you in the forum,

Return to Introductions