It is currently Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:57 am

Free Newsletter

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Macca » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:59 pm

Hi Marti,

I liked your reply to my intro - you got that I was using an alternative reason other than losing weight to motivate my son.

Your story is the one I'm trying to help my son avoid. He has always been a big kid - big frame, more weight than most kids his age for the last 11 years. Hell, his shoe size is now the same as mine.

He plays front row in his rugby team, and often says "I have to stay big to play that position", but I think this is a cover up. While I have no doubt that he enjoys his rugby, I am sure that deep down he would rather not have to use this excuse when he is being teased at school.

I also totally get the idea that you'll sabotage the whole thing if your mum approves - particularly if she's been nagging you for ages to do it.

Why don't you turn it around like I did with the basketball and tell her it's for some role that you're trying out for?

Look forward to chatting again on this (obviously addictive) support forum.

For the boys ...

Postby rivenriver » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:46 am

Oh yes, very addictive. ;)

That's really cool how you're helping your son out I think. It's so hard to be a large kid at school - I was like a foot taller than the rest of me netball team in yr6! - and I think a lot of the time parents who never had that problem struggle to help their kids through it. I love my mum to bits, but I often wonder whether things would have been different if I hadn't been exposed to weight loss ideas from a young age. Would I have had a different mindset about my size, and whether I needed to change it or not? And if I hadn't worried about it, would the puppy fat really have just disappeared? Or would I have been exposed to it anyway? Or would not knowing how things work have led to me trying fad diets all the time? Who knows?

I know it was hard for her to relate sometimes, cos she was pretty and popular in school and never had to worry about what other people thought of her. She's one of those rare confident people who never bothered caring. She did her best and then some, but I still think it was hard, y'know?

I think it's very cool that you're doing what you're doing. My advice is don't nag, cos the mentality becomes 'do the opposite', but the sport thing is really good. I often wish I'd stuck with swimming, and if someone had really pushed me, maybe I would have. So yeah, push hard, but don't shove, I guess. :)

Anyways, good luck to you and your kid!! And if there's anything you think I might know the answer to, let me know! ;)

Postby dezie4 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:17 am

Hi marti,
This is my first day. It is so nice to see that so many people are in the same position. I think with weight loss it is so easy to isolate yourself with the idea that you will be alright when you get your act together. unfortunetly for me this doesnt seem to be happening. That is why I am trying the forums, it is anonymous and it is up to other people to contact you.

Postby rivenriver » Tue Oct 09, 2007 10:24 am

I agree. :) Forums are awesome though, cos it's like a diary and you can write everything down, but instead of it all churning around inside your head, you can get constuctive feedback on it. It makes things clearer. And it's great to have an embarrassment-free place where you know people will listen. :)

Return to Introductions