It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 11:46 pm

Free Newsletter

An intro ...

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

An intro ...

Postby Macca » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:02 pm

I'm a bloke (need more on here) who's 44 years old and I have been depressed about weight loss for some months now, but found your site and think it could be the kick along I need.

I never developed good exercise routines as a kid and had a metabolism that burnt off whatever I ate (junk and all) so I never modified my eating habits.

As an adult I've been getting bigger and bigger, which is dangerous because I also have a congenital heart condition.

I've had several attempts at establishing a more healthy eating and exercise regime - some with more success than others. However, the past twelve months I have been under a lot of stress and I've resorted to eating for comfort and avoiding exercise at all costs.

I have three great boys (S-11, O-8 & A-5), who are usually not couch potatoes and generally get out and do things. However, through watching me, they are now all eating too much and doing less. It is really showing up in my eldest who, with his pre-pubescent hormone rages, is getting really tubby.

So, I've made a pact with S that I will work with him to get his fitness up so he can be on the 'A' basketball team by Term 1 next year. And I lose weight in the process - a win-win I hope.

I have used blogs before for various meaningless rants, and I think this site's progress tracker is exactly what I need to set my goals and monitor them.

So, I actually need to set some goals - only problem at this stage is I don't have the basic information - current height, weight, target weight. :oops:

So, on the way home from the office, I will get myself a decent set of scales and set it all up in my progress log.

I do have some exercise goals, and I'm pleased to say that over the past week or so these have been met.

So I'll post this as my first entry for my progress log.

Thanks for listening ... Macca
For the boys ...

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:07 pm

Hey Maca

welcome to the group. i havent had a chance to introduce myself to many of the new people over the past week but just reading your introduction really struck a chord with me. thanks for sharing that with us and i think you are on the right track to making a healthy lifestyle for yourself and also to be great role model for your sons. I am a mum to a nearly 2 year old daughter and i know that maybe not at the moment but further down the track my child will be proud that i took the steps needed to become healthier now, instead of never at all. im sure your boys will acknowledge the changes you are making in the long term as well. best wishes and sing out if you need anything

Postby Viv » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:08 pm

hi Macca, good luck, it is a big journey to take one step at a time and joining up here, buying a set of scales and deciding to set some goals sounds like you have made some pretty good steps so far.

This is my first day on the site too, hopefully we will both make some big differences to our bodyweight and health.

Postby shelbel » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:34 pm

Hello macca and welcome!

I think your doing something great here in wanting to set a good example for your children and gain a healthier lifestyle, good for you!

Good luck for your journey!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)

Postby rivenriver » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:44 pm

Hey macca :)

I'm also new, but I thought I'd say hi. :) It sounds like a really great plan, and it's awesome that you're not telling your son to get thinner, but helping him get onto the basketball team. I think that's a great strategy, for you both!

Good luck, hope to see more of you!

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:36 pm

Hi Macca and welcome to the forum! Well done on acknowledging the impact your own behavior is having on your heath AND the health of your children! And it's great that you are taking steps to change that! There are other blokes on here so don't feel too alone and let us know if we can be of assistance!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Postby KimE » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:34 pm

G'day Macca and welcome to the group.

Best of luck on your weightloss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs

Postby help6363 » Fri Oct 12, 2007 1:55 pm

Hello and welcome!

I look forward to reading your weight loss story in the near future....see you around the boards! :D

Postby milkyway » Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:27 am

hi Macca and welcome aboard. I look forward to hearing about your progress :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg

Return to Introductions