It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:27 am

Free Newsletter

Anyone else out there like me?

Introduce yourself to our weight loss community.

Moderator: Moderators

Anyone else out there like me?

Postby brooke88 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:53 pm

Hey everyone! My name's Brooke and I'm 19.
Over the past two years I have gained 20 kilos... I couldn't figure out why as I hadn't changed my eating patterns at all, and I eat reasonably healthy anyway.
I started getting excruciating pains in my stomach, and always the feeling of bloatedness.
After lots of trips to the doctors and many disappointed looks at the scale I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. And it looks like it was being caused from food allergies.
I now know that I cannot eat seafoods or anything that contains salicylates.
Only problem is that I only know the basic things that contain salicylates eg; potato and anything made from tomatoes.
I know there are alot of fruits and veggies containing it but I have no idea what ones and how I can find out!
Now I know why I've put on the weight I want to get it back off and keep it off.
Does anyone know of a site or of anyway I could find out more about salicylates? It'd be really appreciated... Thanks. :)
brooke88

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:27 pm

hey brooke welcome to the forum. sorry you have had such a tough time with your food allergies. im sorry i am not much help but maybe there are some members here who can point you in the right direction. best wishes
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Wed Oct 10, 2007 7:33 pm

Hi Brooke and welcome aboard.

Best of luck on your weightloss journey. :D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Re: Anyone else out there like me?

Postby help6363 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:02 am

brooke88 wrote:Hey everyone! My name's Brooke and I'm 19.
Over the past two years I have gained 20 kilos... I couldn't figure out why as I hadn't changed my eating patterns at all, and I eat reasonably healthy anyway.
I started getting excruciating pains in my stomach, and always the feeling of bloatedness.
After lots of trips to the doctors and many disappointed looks at the scale I was diagnosed with Irritable Bowel Syndrome. And it looks like it was being caused from food allergies.
I now know that I cannot eat seafoods or anything that contains salicylates.
Only problem is that I only know the basic things that contain salicylates eg; potato and anything made from tomatoes.
I know there are alot of fruits and veggies containing it but I have no idea what ones and how I can find out!
Now I know why I've put on the weight I want to get it back off and keep it off.
Does anyone know of a site or of anyway I could find out more about salicylates? It'd be really appreciated... Thanks. :)

OH....Brooke big hugs!!! I know nothing about it sorry but I will ask around and see if I can find some websites or something!

I know you do this!!!!

I look forward to reading your success story! :D
help6363

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:55 am

Hi Brooke,
sounds like you've had a rough trot! My mum runs a wholefood shop and has many customers who suffer food allergies so I know it's a real pain in the behind. I don't know specifically the foods you are asking about, but I would suggest asking your doc, or the person who diagnosed IBS to give you a guideline, or visit a dietitian (sp?). All the best with it mate, feel free to stick around on this forum to get some support to lose those extra kg's too!
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby brooke88 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:11 am

Hey guys, thanks heaps for the replies. It's nice to be made feel welcome and to know there's supportive people out there : :D
brooke88

Postby Sas » Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Brooke it sounds like you have had a very rough time chickie. I hope now that you know what has been causing your problems you can takle it and start to feel a little better :)

As for you question about salicylates I found these sites that have some numbers and info:
http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/Food/Salicylate.html
http://users.bigpond.net.au/allergydiet ... i/sal.html

and down the bottom of this page too:
http://www.clevelandclinic.org/health/h ... ndex=10014

Hope that helps a little! Good luck with your weight loss chickie :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby brooke88 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:15 pm

Thankyou so much for taking the time to do that, very much appreciated! :D
brooke88

Postby Sas » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:32 pm

No worries Brooke :) I hope it helps you out a little :)
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wCSA5VJ/]
Sas

Postby Playboy_bunny » Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:40 pm

oh gosh although I dont have IBS, I am allergic to seafood, particularly shellfish....I blow up and break out and vomit....not nice :( I feel for you luv! welcome to the forum xx
Image•·.·´¯`·.·•Gracie•·.·´¯`·.·•
Playboy_bunny

Return to Introductions