It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:46 am

Free Newsletter

TOAST!

What do you promise to do today to help lose weight?

Moderator: Moderators

TOAST!

Postby SarahC » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:50 pm

I have a huge problem with toast. Specifically, eating it, and eating it late at night and after dinner. I just sat down with my food diary and calculator and added it all up. This month I have consumed an extra 32,000 kJ in late night binges of toast! This could add up to almost a kilogram of weight gain :shock:

So, my promise from today onwards is to no longer eat toast in large quantities and to no longer eat toast after dinner time / late at night!

Wish me luck :)
SarahC

Postby SarahC » Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:40 pm

Well, the cold turkey approach hasn't worked so well this past week. But, I have managed to cut it down quite a bit... just 4 or 5 pieces :)

But I replaced a lot of it with rice cakes and corn thins, which kinda defeated the purpose!

I will do even better this week :)
SarahC

Postby Groovychic » Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:31 am

try having a piece of fruit after dinner. If you must have toast then make sure it is multigrain or wholemeal. Dont have white bread. And maybe eat it dry, no butter/marg. That will take the fun out of eating it and hopefully get you past wanting to eat it in the first place. You have a habit now and you need to break it. Having the bread in your stomach is probably not a good thing to sleep on. Personally I don't eat bread after lunch. I wont eat it with dinner thats for sure. And even at lunch I sometimes think I shouldnt be having it. I don't eat it every day anyway. Good luck with breaking your habit Sarah. You will probably find the 5kgs will drop off you if you cut that one thing out!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Postby Fairie » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:06 pm

Bread / Toast is my worst enemy too SarahC, I try to not have any for a couple of weeks then find I will binge on it. :shock: :(
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:11 pm

Try switching bread.

Go for a REAL sourdough (not that stuff they sell in shops which is as soft as yeasted bread, which by the way is because it IS yeasted bread with a little sourdough starter for flavour) from a good baker (try finding a German baker). Wholemeal with grains is good.

When buying sourdough the bread should NOT be squishy (i.e, it should safely be at the bottom of your shopping with no worries, excepting a big bag of apples) and it should be heavy.

There are 2 benefits to this:
1) it is more wholesome (particularly if it's left to prove for an extended period) and the grains will make it lower GI
2) it fills you more easily. I could easily eat 1/4-1/2 a loaf of shop squishy bread and still be hungry, a good wholemeal sourdough will filll you up in 2 slices.

(This comes from someone who works in a GOOD sourdough bakery market stall and eats their bread regularly)

And I agree with the give up marg tip. Toast simply isn't as easy to scoff down dry AND you miss all the fat.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Fairie » Sat Aug 05, 2006 8:53 pm

Thanks Tegan and I think I will put it in the freezer then I might not worry about eating it because I will have to wait for it to thaw.
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby SarahC » Sun Aug 06, 2006 8:33 am

Thanks guys :D

Sourdough sounds really yummy... will have to look into that one.

I just have some wholegrain rye bread, it's got no wheat or yeast either which is good. Luckily I never eat butter/margarine either..

I reckon if I can cut it down to just 2 - 4 piece a day (including my sandwich at lunch) then things will start happening a lot quicker 8)

Having just fruit / veg after dinner too is a good idea :)
SarahC

Postby SarahC » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:13 am

Yay for me! Over the last 2 weeks, I've only eaten 10 pieces of toast. Prior to posting my horrible habit on this site, I would have eaten 28 pieces in 2 weeks (I guess I was averaging 2 a day). Getting there 8)

I made some hommous this week too, the idea being that I will eat it with carrot/celery sticks, in place of the toast. Let's see how that goes :D
SarahC

Postby Dolly » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:25 pm

I was going to say you could either lock the toaster in your husbands car.
OR
don't start eating any toast in the morning, start eating your ration of toast in the second halft of the day.
Dolly

Toast

Postby Dxenion » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:39 am

It's a killer for me too. The only way I have found to avoid it is to make sure I don't have any in the house. We do have mountain and lebanese bread though but it's way better for me anyway.

Freezing the bread didn't help me - I have a defrost button on the toaster which would defrost and toast the bread almost before I could blink.
Dxenion

Return to Daily Weight loss Pledge