It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:56 am

Free Newsletter

goal weight??

What do you promise to do today to help lose weight?

Moderator: Moderators

goal weight??

Postby tinkerbella » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:26 pm

How have you picked your goal weight,or does it pick you????
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Re: goal weight??

Postby Blitz » Mon Jun 16, 2014 11:13 pm

Well I found a few weight/height charts with comparing different recommendations. I then found a chart with a generous range scale for all the different weights and heights. I then decided that just above half way on the range scale for my height (actually about two thirds) was about right. I didn't want to end up being anorexic! For me that worked out to be about 66/67kg. When I started I weighed in at 153.7kg so for the sake of evenness I made my goal weight 66.7kg.

Of cause what I hadn't factored in was that losing 87 kilos will leave you with an awful lot of loose skin the weigh of which isn't factored in these normal charts. By the time I got to the pointy end of the journey I pretty well realised that my maintenance weight would be a few kilos heavier to allow for the weight of the loose skin. Towards the end of the journey I was doing web searches on the topic "how much does loose skin weigh"...totally unanswered by the world wide web. I did reach my original goal however...only because of sheer bloody mindedness. That was the original goal, any change would have felt like a compromise. I figured because I had set the goal at such a conservative number that in the worst case scenario my loose skin weigh would still mean that I was within the acceptable boundaries for my height.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby JP1 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:38 am

I haven't really set a goal weight as such, just something I'm aiming for.. I want to get back into the 70s and I want to beat my previous low of 78.4 Kgs so 77.5 Kgs was just a figure I plucked which also corresponded to a round 36 Kgs loss when/if I make it.. The if isn't a proper if btw as I am determined to get there it's just when I get down there I'll reassess.. I want to bulk up a little along the way too so around 80 Kgs I reckon will be the start of my Maint/end job and see where I settle if that makes sense..
8)
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby DD Diva » Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:29 pm

Blitz wrote: Towards the end of the journey I was doing web searches on the topic "how much does loose skin weigh"...totally unanswered by the world wide web. I did reach my original goal however...only because of sheer bloody mindedness. That was the original goal, any change would have felt like a compromise. I figured because I had set the goal at such a conservative number that in the worst case scenario my loose skin weigh would still mean that I was within the acceptable boundaries for my height.

Kim

Hey Kim, not sure it would help, but I remember reading some years ago that people with excessive amounts of weight (yours truly included in this group) should expect that about 5-10 kilos can be add to their goal weight as this is generally the weight of loose skin left hanging on an otherwise newly slim body.
Though I'm not sure how accurate that is, I'm still going to aim for my 60kg target, and figure that I'll probably have (conservatively) 2kg loose skin.
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:34 pm

When I had my belly hernia operation and the surgeon hacked off some of the loose skin from my stomach he reckoned that it was about two to three kilos worth. Still have lots of it left around my body though. In the end you just have to "feel" what's right for you. Find that place that you can comfortable sit (your body will let you know) and live with.

Another thing to consider is that once you get to maintenance stage your body redistributes the fat stores. In maintenance stage I got my butt back (towards the end of weight loss it was a sad boney thing...and sitting was uncomfortable) and my fingers became more slender.

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby tinkerbella » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:22 am

just found this found it too be very interesting..
im in the right frame of mind with my picking my goal weight...78
http://www.weightwatchers.com/health/as ... ts_VR.aspx
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Return to Daily Weight loss Pledge