It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 5:22 am

Free Newsletter

Supermarket Pledge

What do you promise to do today to help lose weight?

Moderator: Moderators

Supermarket Pledge

Postby originalmel » Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:27 pm

The supermarket has always been my downfall. Ever since I became a Mum 4 and a half years ago anyway. There's always an excuse to go, and I find myself there most days. It's absolutely chocca block (parden the pun) with temptation for me, from the bakery, to the confectionary aisle, to the bikkies, and so very much more.

Now I have been very good since the lgithnening bolt hit me (figuratively speaking), and have totally avoided supermarket temtation, but now I feel it's time to make sure this is an ongoing thing, by reducing temptation.

So, from now on I pledge to make an effort to do more shopping at idependant fruit and veg stores, delis, butchers and bakeries. This will serve several purposes.

Firstly, I totally trust myself at these shops, since my problem is with sweet foods.

Secondly, it's much better for the environment, as when yoy buy more local produce, you reduce the huge transportation costs involed.

Thirdly, it supports small growers in my local area, rather than giant supermarket chains who monopolise the industly, short changing the growers, and squeezing the little guy out of the game.

If anyone else think of other reasons, help me out, but that will do me for now. Hopefully others might be inspired to do the same.

[/list]
Mel

"Sugar is, essentially, a legalized recreational drug that's socially acceptable to consume."
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wozyNFd/]
[/url]
originalmel

Postby SarahC » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:23 am

Great idea! I buy all my fruit and veg at a local market... I like to know where it comes from. A lot of the supermarket stuff is probably imported. And it's waaaaay more expensive, I can't get over the price difference :shock:
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:29 am

i agree with sarah about the costs. we go shopping monthly so we do our groceries in woolworths and then outside woolies is a butcher, chicken shop and vege shop and bakery. so we get chicken breast from the chicken shop, get our red meat from the butchers and so on. it always looks fresher in those shops as well.

i never used to like grocery shopping- mick always says 'it looks like we have hardly any food in the trolley' and i remind him that we eat a lot of meat and vegies so we dont use a lot of packet stuff so most of our grocery shopping is cleaning stuff! or herbs and spices etc.

but now i love going grocery shopping because i enjoy reading all the labels of things that look good! its a breath of fresh air walking through the confectionary aisle and knowing that im not going to buy anything. some people like to avoid that aisle all together but its a challenge for me to walk through it with my head turned the other way and know im not going to buy the choccies!

what a great idea you have come up with mel -you should go with it!
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:23 am

Go for it Mel :!: I shop once a fortnight - except for fruit and veges (thats every few days). The kids and I make out a weekly menu, and just shop from that. It has saved me not only buying stuff I shouldn't have in the house, but money as well. I shop for local produce when it comes to fruit & veges because I am not only helping the local economy, but the produce is fresher. When it comes to meat, shopping at the butchers rather than the supermarkets has the advantage that the butcher gets to know you and what you like, and will often do something "special" for you if you want it.
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Return to Daily Weight loss Pledge