It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:08 am

Free Newsletter

No more cigaretts and booze

What do you promise to do today to help lose weight?

Moderator: Moderators

No more cigaretts and booze

Postby Kitty kat » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:10 pm

I've been trying to quit smoking for a while and last night i decided that enough is enough. It's a terrible habit that i picked up in uni. I'm not a chain smoker, but i do smoke socially on weekends and always when i'm drinking. I'm a varsity student, so binge drinking copius amounts of alcohol is very familiar territory. I hate the fact that i drink to get drunk and end up paying for it not only in terms a hangover but also in terms of my waistline!!

I'm tired of desecrating the sanctity of my body by polluting it with tar and alcohol. This self-destructive behaviour ends here and now. I'm graduating in December 2007 and i am determined to have successfully kicked the habit by then. Last night i broke the remaining cigarettes that were in my box. So, there'll be no smoking or drinking for me to look forward to this weekened (i only drink/smoke on weekends).

Taking it one step at a time: "I pledge to not smoke or drink any alcohol this weekend".

I'm hoping that all the wonderful people on this forum can help me be accountable to myself, that's why i'm writing this message. Knowing that i've made this pledged to a community of people will motivate me not to let myself or you guys down.

Wish me luck and please check up on me. :D :D :D

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"
Kitty kat

Postby milkyway » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:28 pm

Good luck Kitty Kat :D

lots of threads on here about quitting if you want to do a search.

I have been meaning to ask you, where in SA are you from?
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:16 am

good on you kitty, stay in that frame of mind and you will be fine :) my fiance gave up smoking on the 31st may 2007 and has only had one smoke - he is doing well :) you can do it!
kate_turner2000

Postby sassi » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:54 am

great pledge kitty & a fab way to start by taking it one step/weekend at a time :)

i've recently come to the same conclusion - i'm not a smoker but i was going out every weekend & drinking and when i actually added up the calories recently it became obvious why i was gaining weight all the time. especially because if i go out drinking i usually end up eating fast food at the end of the night (and often the next day when i crawl out of bed). :oops:

tomorrow night is my first big test, so i'll join you and say that tomorrow night i will only drink if it fits in my calorie limit for the day (and as i'm on 1200 cals per day, there isn't like to be room for more than 1 or 2 drinks!).

good luck!
sassi

Postby Mandie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:35 pm

best of luck - that's a tough challenge for you there! take it one day at a time and constantly remind yourself WHY you are doing it.

it might also help to tell your friends and family and everyone you know what you are doing as well, to help keep you even more accountable, and they can help you to quit!
Mandie

Thanks guys!!!

Postby Kitty kat » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:06 pm

Thanks for all the support. Yeah, its gonna be tough but i love myself enough to go through this trial. I don't crave nicotine during the week coz i'm not drinking, but as soon as i am then i can easily smoke half a pack in one night. So that's why it makes sense for me to pull the brakes on the alcohol if i wanna get rid of the smoking.

My boyfriend isn't a smoker, so he's fully supporting my efforts to quit. However, giving up the drink is gonna be difficult coz he drinks!!! Tomorrow evening there's gonna be free drinks at the company where i'm working for the vacation. My boyfriend's gonna be there and he's my ride home, so i can't just not go. So, tomorrow's gonna be really challenging, but i believe in my strength to say no. While i'm at the function i'll just think about all the calories that i'm avaoiding by not drinking. I'll keep you guys posted as to how it all works out.

Milkway- I'm from the beautiful city of Cape Town. With a view of Table Mounten, Robben Island and the beach- what more can u ask for. If you ever get a chance to travel to africa, u have to make a pitstop in cape town.

Thanks for the support guys!!! :D :D :D :D

"Nothing tastes as good as thin feels"
Kitty kat

Postby Mandie » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:07 pm

Good luck with the non-drinking! Do you drive? Because something I usually do if I want to cut back on alcohol is offer to be the designated driver.. like tell your boyfriend he can have some drinks and you will drive home.. that way you CAN'T have more than one drink!
Mandie

Postby Chelle » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:10 pm

Awsome pledge kitty kat you don't need those cancer stick. Keep us updated on how you go over the weekend.
Chelle

Return to Daily Weight loss Pledge