It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:02 pm

Free Newsletter

My Soft Drink Pledge

What do you promise to do today to help lose weight?

Moderator: Moderators

My Soft Drink Pledge

Postby Jenni » Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:54 pm

Okay so most people have to give up alcohol, coffee etc. Me, im addicted to Pepsi Max!

Its sooo bad! Me and fiancee go through 54 cans of pepsi in a fortnight and then some bottles. And he doesnt even drink most of it....

So i pledge, that i will only drink one can a day from here on in!

Here I go....
Jenni

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:02 pm

Good on you for making such a fantastic decision.

Have you tried switching to the diet version? I personally don't drink much fizzy drink as they make me bloated and are too sweet for me - I feel sick after a couple of glasses. The caffeinated ones like coke I avoid particularly (for some reason when i developed migraines as a teenager I developed an instant aversion to coffee and coke-like fizzys)
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Dolly » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:32 pm

Jenni I hope you can give up the soda drinks. Not only does the artificial sweetner in Pepsi Max cause MS deaths
click here - http://www.abchomeopathy.com/forum2.php/26604/ but having acidic fizzy drinks will slowly eat away at your bones over the years causing arthritis.

We use too many drugs, which are acid forming; and we use artificial chemical sweetners like NutraSweet, Spoonful, Sweet 'N Low, Equal, or Aspartame, which are poison and extremely acid forming. One of the best things we can do to correct an overly acid body is to fix up our diet.

To maintain health, the diet should consist of 60% alkaline forming foods and 40% acid forming foods.
But to firstly restore our health, the diet should consist of 80% alkaline forming foods and 20% acid forming foods.
Last edited by Dolly on Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dolly

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:49 pm

Wow Dolly that's some good info. I don't use artificial sweetners myself. I once heard that one of them was discovered by accident when a lab technician licked his fingers after using chemicals and not washing his hands :shock: . Even if that's not true, I still prefer to use natural foods wherever possible rather than chemical replacements.

It's definitely better to get off the fizzy totally.

Butterfly_Dawn

Wow - I didnt know that!

Postby Jenni » Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:55 pm

Wow i just went to that web page and read about the sweetening stuff! Thats shocking...im going to print out a put on my fridge so i see it every time i go to get a can of the stuff.

Thanks
Jenni

Postby Annie » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:19 pm

great going Jenni...
Pepsi Max is still heap better for you from a diet point of view than sugared fizzy drinks though. So don't feel too bad if you don't give it all up straight away!
:)
Annie

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:25 pm

LOL sorry, i didn't realise PepsiMax was already a diet soft drink. I guess that's what happens when I don't drink the stuff. :oops:

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Annie » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:28 pm

it is, but it' still not that great for your insides - Dolly's right.
:D
Better to not drink any fizzys, but if you do then the diet ones are bettr. I hope. I'd die without my caffeine!
Annie

Postby Angel » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:10 pm

Dolly,

How do you work out which foods are alkaline forming foods and which are acid forming foods?

Thanks, Angel
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby Jenni » Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:05 pm

Hello again!

I only had 1 pepsi last night - very difficult but i had an orange juice instead.

Yeh, i think regardless of the bad things that are in fizzy drinks, i need to cut down, because they're not doing any part of me any good - stomach, teeth, weight, energy....the list goes on!
Jenni

Postby Dolly » Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:10 pm

Congratulations on cutting down Jenni, I'll bet your liver is reaping the rewards of that healing choice as we speak.

Good question Angel, this site should help answer that - http://www.ctds.info/acidic-foods.html
Dolly

Postby Angel » Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:43 pm

Congratulations Jenni, cutting out things that you love or are used to having is really hard, good on you.

If its the fizziness of soft drink that you like have you ever tried soda water or mineral water with orange juice (1/2 and 1/2) or better yet drinking it plain with a slice of lemon, or orange or a few strawberries.

Dolly, thanks for the link, this might be just what I need to help my digestion.

Cheers,
Angel
[/img]
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Angel

Postby BigM » Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:41 am

Hello Jenni, i know afew people who are totally addicted to soft drinks. One of my friends has at least 2 bottles in the morning of Coke and drinks that instead of water every day. It's quite unhealthy for him, but he just doesn't listen. For me i stear clear away from soft drinks due to my fear of dentists :P. Soft drinks with their sugars and other sweetners can rot your teeth quickly, which means you'll be seeing the dentist quite often :).

You know my ancient history teacher showd me a picture of a person's teeth centuries ago, even after death and without toothpastes etc. they still look clean, the conclusion is that modern day diets are so filled with sugars and artificial sweetners that tooth decay is happening everywhere, whereas back then they only relied heavily on natural sugars such as fruits.
BigM

Postby carlton » Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:49 am

To keep me from only having one can of diet soft drink a day I remember what my dentist keeps telling me:-

Your teeth will soften and eventually either have to be crowned (expensive even with health insurance), root canal therapy (expensive and painfull) or they will fall out.

I hate going to the dentist, so this keeps me on track most of the time. Also my skin looks so much better if I just stick to drinking water.[/img]
carlton

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:45 am

carlton, I have also noticed my skin looking better now I'm drinking more water and not eating all the crap I was.

I also enjoy soda water. It's great to take to bbq's and parties so it LOOKS like you're joining in with everybody drinking fizzys but you're not!! It avoids all those funny looks you get when you do the "I'll just have a salad and a water"

Butterfly_Dawn

Next

Return to Daily Weight loss Pledge