It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:36 pm

Free Newsletter

Serena's pledge

What do you promise to do today to help lose weight?

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Serena » Tue Jul 19, 2005 5:47 pm

You might be onto something there Dolly. Every day when I go into the gym the trainer who wrote my program has my folder out waiting for me and he checks my progress when I hand it back. I feel guilty when I don't go in because I know he'll notice even though he won't say anything. And I tried for ages to get someone to go to the gym with me but I was working afternoon shift and it seemed that every other person on the planet worked day shift so I collected all the stuff in my little gym room and thought that would make it easier but it didn't. Even Darren wasn't much help. I do think going to the gym by myself is a good thing because I'm not relying on anyone else for my motivation but I know I could get really good results at home too if I put my mind to it. Maybe as going to the gym becomes entrenched in routine I might also start doing some of my home workouts and get even better results. Thanks for the support.
Serena

Postby Serena » Wed Jul 20, 2005 1:48 pm

Well ladies, I have slept in again and then there was no milk for my brekky so I had to go to the shop and by the time I got through all I have to do in the morning it was nearly 12. So yet again I failed to make it to the gym. On the up side, I have done a tae-bo workout and I have done my weights workout at home and I have done 5 minutes on my little stepper and intend to do another 3 5-minute mini-workouts on my stepper while watching tv tonight. I would do twenty minutes all at once but my feet go numb if I'm on there much longer than 5 minutes. I think that's a pretty good substitute for going to the gym and I'm not going to feel guilty because at least I got my workout in.
Serena

Postby Serena » Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:26 pm

Tomorrow I'm going to not sleep in and I will get to the gym at a reasonable hour so I have no excuses. And if I'm really good I might even pull out my little sewing machine and make myself some new gym clothes because what I've been wearing is so daggy as to verge on the point of embarrassing. My nice tracky pants have a big hole in them because I've loved them to death and my other ones are too short. That's one thing I've got going for me - I'm 5"9 or 175cm so it makes me look a little bit less fat than I am (Not to the point where I look good though). And I absolutely hate polo shirts with a passion but that's what I've been wearing because everything else is a bit on the snug side. So some new gym clothes that make me feel not quite so hideous might make me feel better.
Serena

Postby Dolly » Wed Jul 20, 2005 8:13 pm

I'm with you on getting new work-out clothes.
I have one pair of trackies that died with a big hole in them (I shan't say where) they should have been buried last winter.

I guess I'm always trying to save the family money or something, but it really is time we took care of ourselves for once.
I'll bet having new exercise clothes will help us want to get out there and do more exercise.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby lavender » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:44 am

Serena I'm sure we can all relate to the " why dont I do it ". I think the same when I look at the walker in our house. There is always something else I'd rather do.

You did get your tae-bo in though and have been on your family bike ride, joined the gym, stocked up on healthy food and the weight watchers guide. So you are heading in the right direction.

I have been walking but I had to decide I was just going to put my sneakers on and go. I dont think about it- I just go and that seems to be working for me, otherwise I can get into a debate with myself about whether I have the time for the walk, whether I'll go now or later, ring a friend to come etc etc so no thinking I just go.

Are you actually going to weight watchers or doing it yourself ?
lavender

Postby Serena » Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:31 pm

It's so much easier to just go, isn't it? To remove the choice of wether or not to go and just get it over with. That's how I get to the gym everyday but if I'm running late I start to think I haven't got enough time to fit it in even though I probably could and I end up talking myself out of it.

To your question about weight watchers, I'm doing it on my own. I have been before so I have all the books, but one of the groups I went to was just downright depressing because the leader was this really shy quiet housewife who'd lost some astronomical amount of weight like 5kg and managed to keep it off for 2 years now and all of the women there were really big like me and had been going to meetings for 2 years and hadn't lost any weight for months and everyone kind of kept to themselves watching the clock thinking can I go yet? I didn't find that group particularly motivating so I changed to a different group and nearly everyone was at goal already and the leader was so chirpy it was unnatural, I'm still not entirely convinced that it wasn't drug-induced and everyone was really clicky so I just gave on the meetings. I can save that $17 a week for something more important, like me!
Serena

Postby Dolly » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:12 pm

If this Weight Forum thing keeps working for me, I might pocket my $14.95 lifetime meeting fee too.

Dolly
Dolly

Postby Serena » Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:48 pm

Tomorrow, I will do some exercise, even though it's my day off, because I need to make up for an unrestrained day of eating (and drinking). Maybe tae-bo, or a family bike ride / scooter run, or maybe both.
Serena

Postby Serena » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:49 pm

This week I am going to sit down and write out a proper food plan so I know what I'm eating each day and I don't just go for easy food and hope that the points add up at the end of the day.
Serena

Postby Dolly » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:32 pm

Journalling sounds like a good idea.
Dolly

weight watchers meetings lmfao

Postby roadbuddies » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:58 pm

Hey Serena that had me laughing so loud about the drug induced weight watchers people, i felt the same way when i went. There were 2 groups at my meetings, the ones that were so close to goal that it hurt and then there were the ladies that went every week and werent losing weight at all but still handed over their $17.95 a week as though they were getting a second chance to be one of those "drug induced elite people" who actually make goal.
I use to go to weight watchers and have all the books myself but ive given up on the whole weight watchers thing because at the end of the day we all know that putting choccy and chips into our body is obviously a bad choice and so i use that $17.95 a week and do tae-bo and gym workouts. Ive taken the choice factor out of my workouts too and i just get up every morning, put my "new gym gear on " ( oh yes that makes you feel like you fit in a little better) and i just go otherwise by the time i woke up completely id have convinced myself that i could put it off until tommorrow. Its definately the best way...just do it and take away the choice.
You go get em girl... you are definately on the right track and i love your sense of humour its fantastic. :)
roadbuddies

Previous

Return to Daily Weight loss Pledge