It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:24 am

Free Newsletter

Kangaroo

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

Kangaroo

Postby Kimmie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:13 am

I mentioned this in one of my pledge threads, but I thought I would add it here.

Kangaroo meat is delicious, cheap, fairly easy to buy (most Coles stock it now), high in iron and protein, and ridiculously low in fat (2% or less depending on what you buy), since roos are naturally lean animals. Macro Meats Gourmet Game is the brand I buy -- they have steak, roasts, sausages, and mince. The steak is particularly nice if it's done rare or medium rare (roo can get chewy if you over cook it). I usually take the sausages when I go to all those ubiquitous BBQ sausage-fests that seem to happen in the Summer, since (as all the seasoned dieters here would know) most sausages are just out of the question. Even "lean" sausages are often about 10% fat, and soy sausages just don't hit that meat craving!

Another benefit is that eating kangaroos is in the interest of the Australian environment. I don't have stats (because I'm not a total greeny, I just point in that general direction), but farming cows (and similar animals) causes damage to the Australian environment, whereas a certain percentage of roos have to be harvested commercially to reduce the strain their over-population has on our environment!

Please let me know if you have any questions at all (particularly about cooking roo, I've made all manners of dishes with it, including spag bol that I had tonight! Yum!), or if you have any recipes you would like to share!
Kimmie

Re: Kangaroo

Postby Fireball » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:17 am

I only tried roo meat years ago and my memory of it is that it was too strong flavour so I didn't like it. I will try it again.:)

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:55 am

Greenpeace also supports switching to roo meat in people's diets. Not only is it better for preventing soil erosion in Australia, but kangaroos emit less greenhouse gases than cows and sheep. The only problem is the additional greenhouse gases caused by trucking kangaroo meat interstate. Kangaroo 'harvesting' for human consumption is illegal in Victoria so we have to get our roo meat from other states such as NSW where it is legal.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 62,00.html
EvilWombatQueen

Postby electrongirl » Thu Feb 07, 2008 12:36 pm

does it have a gamey taste?

I can't eat veal as I find it very gamey.. does that make sense?? haha
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Kimmie » Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:39 pm

Hmm, if you don't like veal, you might not like roo -- it is a stronger flavour. Maybe try the mince in a bolognaise or whatever you would normally use beef mince for? It's seriously less than 1% fat, which is incredible for minced meat.

EWQ: do you know why roos can't be harvested in Victoria? Is it a "silly" law, or is there a reason for it? (Like maybe they don't have the same over-population problems as in other states)

Or maybe I could try reading the link you posted, since the answer might be there :lol: :oops:
Kimmie

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:20 pm

I love it too, but we find that undercooking it makes it chewy!!! horses for courses and all that. The bloke finds that hard to deal with because he likes his beef meduim rare and keeps cooking the roo that way then being diappointed that mine (cooked well done) tastes nicer :lol:

Hmm, might do that some time this week, haven't had any for a while.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Kimmie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:06 pm

I had some roo steak for dinner tonight! With brussel sprouts and spinach!
Kimmie

Postby kittykat84 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:45 am

I really enjoy kangaroo. The macro meats brand herb and garlic steaks are so yummy!!!
kittykat84

Postby MissE » Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:13 pm

I dont get into roo steaks thsat i cook myself coz they never taste as good as the ones from work, but i use roo mince in spag bol, lasagne, chilli con carne etc etc. i cant taste the difference once its in a nice herby sauce and its so guilt free, i just love it!!
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

Postby GoddessInside » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:41 pm

Oohhh might give this a go ! You've got me intrigued :)
SW: 233.2kgs - Nov 2012
SW148.0kgs - 14 Oct 2014
CW 141.2kgs
GW 132kg
GoddessInside

Postby Chaypeta » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:33 am

Heres a few big tips for cooking roo steaks that we use all the time:

Roo meat is chewy because of it's low fat content, the meat dries out very quickly when it's being cooked. Therefore the solution is to marinate it first! We sit our roo meat steaks in soy sauce for two or more hours before cooking so it can soak up the liquid. Then we cook it very quickly on a very hot skillet to lock in as much moisture as possible. the result is very tasty, very soft moist meat. The soy enhances the meaty flavour while playing down the gaminess.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w9otB50/]
[/url]

TERINU Australia's own Sci Fi Web Comic: http://www.terinu.com
Chaypeta

Postby electrongirl » Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:51 pm

I'm going to try that!! We had some the other night and I really liked it. It was already marinated when we bought it and it was so tender!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Fireball » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:47 am

So I did it. I tried kangaroo again. I marinated it in a failry strong marinade - oyster sauce, worchestershire sauce and soy sauce. It was quite nice and I didnt find it too "gamey". But my husband thought we had eaten liver. :? lol I am going to try different ways of cooking it. I will let you know how it goes.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby FluffieFaerie » Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:34 pm

Ooh I'm glad I've found this thread as we're having roo for the first time tonight and I have just enough time and soy sauce to marinade it! Thanks for the tip :D
Emma (27), full-time Mummy to a Cheeky Monkey (born Sept 06)
At my heaviest: 185lbs
At my lightest: 142lbs
Current weight: Somewhere in-between!
FluffieFaerie

Postby kazza » Mon May 11, 2009 9:10 pm

well a few months ago hubby made a stir fry and i was like this meat is so yummy after eating it all he told me what it is. I cant eat kangaroo steak as its too umm i dunno how to explain it but now for sausages i love them and will not go back to beef. Growing up in a house hold with your dad a butcher and your 2 brothers being butchers all u were given was lamb! LAMB lamb so what a change!
SW - 93kgs - 4/5/09
89.9kg - 19/5/09 YEAH BABY!
Mini Goal - 87kgs
Goal Weight - 77kgs By My 6th Wedding Anniversary (16/8/09)
kazza

Next

Return to Home Grown Tips