Free Newsletter

Diet Tips

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

Postby Dolly » Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:14 am

Let us know if you find out Tegan :shock:
Dolly

Postby Candice » Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:35 pm

They say things are good in moderation and I know I drink soft drink on the odd occasion but always feel guilty once I do so.

I just cant understand how people can drink it for almost every drink they have. We had 24pk of coke on sale at work for $10 and everyone was buying them. A lady said (and this was a friday) that she had already previously bought 2 cartons of coke for her family in that week and drank them all so they needed some more cos they'd run out!

I just can't understand people's mentality sometimes. I mean I'm not perfect and I eat bad stuff sometimes but how can people put that much soft drink into their bodies can after can.

All i can say I guess is thankgod its not me and imagine what health problems and dental problems they will have when they get much older! :shock:
Candice

Postby kymbahlee » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:02 pm

My diet tips:

Replace half your normal cereal with all bran which is the healthiest, tasteless cereal you can buy

I have never drank coffee but I read in the paper in moderation it can boost metabolism and suppress hunger, so now I force myself to drink one at 4pm each day. It's enough to tide me over until tea.

Replace lamb or beef mince with turkey or chicken mince.

Diet jelly is the best snack going for when you have a sweet craving

And, lastly, if it's not in the house you can't eat it!
kymbahlee

Postby Groovychic » Wed Feb 15, 2006 9:17 am

Going back to the soft drink issue, it's amazing how many people drink so much of it. I now drink the diet versions, but only drink maybe 4 a week, and that is only when it is really hot and I have had enough of water and don't want a cup of tea, or as a mixer with alcohol. My nephew, who stayed with us last week, drinks about 3 cans a day. He does drink a fair amount of water as well tho. But it still doesn't excuse it. I won't let my children have coke or any diet soft drink as I'm not sure what the aspartum would be doing to their developing brains. They have the equivalent of maybe 1 can a week as a treat. They normally have to share a can between them, or if I get them take away lunch after their swimming lessons, then they get a small bottle with their lunch. They certainly don't have it at school. My father's great nephew came out from Belguim a few years ago for a visit to Australia and all he drank was coke. Didnt drink any water at all. And he didn't drink tea or coffee or juice or anything like that. Just coke. And he drank over 2 litres of it a day. Dad refused to buy it for him so he had to get a large supply when he went to town! And his teeth were the most disgusting I have ever seen. They were all rotten and looked really grose. I couldn't imagine him kissing his girlfriend. I was really freaked out by those teeth. So it definitely does a lot of damage. I think particularly coke/pepsi but I am sure that lemonade and club lemon etc do a fair amount of damage as well. I guess the trick is to try and limit those things as much as possible.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSt8KHJ/]
[/url]

Keep Smiling!!!
Groovychic

Diet Hints

Postby tabbycat » Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:13 am

Hello to you all.

My biggest problem is a husband with a very sweet tooth. (Eats whatever whenever no worries). I buy crisps for his that i cant eat - allergies. Chocolate and busicuts are ok IF the packet is closed- then I pick. when I do buy something that I like (that is no good for someone watching her weight) I leave it for when friends come up for a meal and then I can have some and hopefully the guest will eat the rest. Has worked so far.

But once the girls are in bed I do that to sit down with 2 milk arrowroot busicuts and a low fat hot chocolate. Need busicuts to dunk.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
tabbycat

Postby phat25 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 3:32 pm

the soft drink saga continues...i luurrrrve coke zero too Annie! I will drink 1.5 litres a day of the dark liquid gold! It fills me up and satisfies my hand to mouth habit, esp. when im studying/reading etc.

There are setbacks though...'sugar free sugar' *side effects* um... cancel out the sugar and what have you got? free radicals i guess

...also the colouring is clearly not good for your teeth... this is where my real dilema is! im having laser teeth whitening soon which is costing me ~$1000, and have been advised to replace tea, coffee and dark drinks :cry: with herbal tea, water and um er water. I do love herbal teas however im not sure where i am going to get my caffine fix from...any suggestions?
quality vs quantity

phat25

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Mar 04, 2006 4:45 pm

Chocolate? not the best though. You could always tyry going cold turkey, but the best would be to phase out caffeine all together. 8)
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby phat25 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:36 pm

Thanks B_Dawn...you're not wrong...

Symptoms of excessive caffine intake include anxiety, depression, restlessness, heart palpitations and stomach upsets.

I'm going to trial Guarana, the natural alternative, whilst i go cold turkey.
quality vs quantity

phat25

Postby Ally » Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:24 pm

When people offer you food that you know will harm your weight loss efforts instead of telling them that you are on a diet etc, just say thanks, but I am full or I have just eaten to stop the unwarranted barrage of questions and comments that can do more harm than good!!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:50 pm

just in response to how people can drink soft drink all the time and go through a case a week. i used to be one of them. between mick and i we could easily have gone through a 18can pack of coke a week. we would each have one with our lunch and one with dinner each. it is easy to do if you are in the habit of it. im not going to sit here and criticise people who do it because i did it before starting to lose weight. but im just saying yes it is easy to do and its like a drug addiction. (caffeine) and whilst drinking it i never thought of my teeth or anything like that. meanwhile there are people out there who have coffee after coffee and others that ahve smoke after smoke- its the same thing.
kate_turner2000

Postby Jisgone » Fri Nov 10, 2006 10:54 pm

My parents have never really had soft drink in our house, but we used to drink alot of cordial. Now instead of a bottle of cordial in the fridge we have a bottle of water, and we all have 2 water bottles each so one is always cold.
A very good friend of mine is the opposite, they have a small fridge and its always stocked full of cans of coke or pepsi, i honestly have not seen either of them drink a single glass of water while in the house. Her bf doesnt eat vegies full stop, and shes gone from size 8 to size 12 in the space of 6 months, shes just started taking the dog for 15 minute walks in the morning with high hopes she will lose the weight. I dont think she realises all the coke and take out food they eat is whats causing it. I have taken to going to her house and taking my own food and bottles of water, she doesn't like the idea of me being on a diet, i think because im losing and she gaining. As i say to them, i dont spend an hour at the gym 5 days a week just to go and ruin it by eating junk!
Jisgone

Postby KimE » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:15 am

As i say to them, i dont spend an hour at the gym 5 days a week just to go and ruin it by eating junk!

Good on you Jewles excellent attitude! :D

I think you're right sometimes friends don't like you doing something good for yourself not because it is good for you but because it makes them look at themselves.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:41 am

good on you jewles. i also have a friend who doesnt eat vegetables. :S
kate_turner2000

Postby Tango44 » Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:41 pm

how can someone not eat vege's???

I love vege's.. mushrooms (though not technically a vege but you get me) and broccoli are just two of my faves!!

Whenever I go see my parents I am amazed that that drink coffee after coffee after coffee. Seriously they drink nothing but... coffee. And these aren't small cups more like buckets.

They live on a farm down south so they have rain water which in my mind is sooo much nicer!!!
Tango44

Postby MissE » Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:19 am

My partner is one of those people who drink 6 cans of soft drink a day. If I buy them, he drinks it. he says its too convenient and he cant be bothered getting a water when he can just grab a can. So now i get a 2 litre bottle every couple of days and if he runs out, he runs out..
Life is too important to be taken seriously!
MissE

PreviousNext

Return to Home Grown Tips