It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 3:02 pm

Free Newsletter

After dinner munchies??

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

After dinner munchies??

Postby tania2573 » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:11 am

I have noticed a few people saying they have dinner and then still feel like something.I am the same not all the time just sometimes.So what i have done is made up some low joule cordial and put some small pieces of mixed fruits in and made it into ice blocks just using plastic disposable cups with a stick in them, to hold the sticks in place i just cover them with some glad wrap.You could also use water ,or even make up your favourite smoothie and then do same with them.They last for ages and if you dont feel like the whole thing you can just put it back in cup for next time.
If its a sweet craving you have they are great for that.
S.W 163.1 start date 19/2/2008
G.W 85
tania2573

Re: After dinner munchies??

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:24 am

That sounds like a great idea. I'm going to have to get some low joule cordial this weekend and try this! They'll be great for hot weather, too.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Brissybabe » Thu Nov 06, 2008 1:52 pm

I've done a similar thing with banana or fruit smoothies. Freeze them in iceblock trays :)
Brissybabe

Postby flaminjo » Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:42 pm

wow tania, thats simply great. i wonder how come it never came to my mind?
flaminjo

Postby Alexandra » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:19 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions for a savoury tooth person. I dont crave sweet things really at all and I have always been a "skip breakfast..not each much for lunch, start eating mid afternoon and don't stop until bed" kind of overweight person. Now I am eating a really healthy diet of 3 meals and 2 healthy snacks of fruit and/or yoghurt etc but I am eating every 2/3 hours. I find my hubby is hungry for dinner at 6pm. By the time 9pm comes around, I'm hungry again and looking for a bite to eat. I know that I haven't over indulged in calories for the day but I also know that I shouldn't be eating so close to bedtime (but then again, I might not go to bed until 11pm or midnight. Any ideas? (other than going to bed?)

Thanks
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w4nfAl9/]

HW: 127 kg
CW: 93.7 kg
GW: 68 kg
LW: 73 kg
Alexandra

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:36 pm

I used to have that problem. The things that have helped me are:

1. Eat a decent sized dinner. I found that as I made my portion sizes smaller, I got hungrier and tended to snack more. By making sure I eat sufficient food to fill me I'm less likely to get hungry soon afterwards.

2. Make sure that dinner has plenty 'good' carbs and protein. Choose wholegrain and/or low GI carbs which will keep you fuller for longer. Likewise include a serving of protein. This will keep you full for a few hours.

3. Chew your dinner A LOT. The very action of chewing releases chemicals to tell our brain that we are satiated. Make sure you eat slowly and chew your food many times to feel fuller sooner.

4. 'Finish' your meal. If you are like me you are tempted to go back for seconds and thirds. Make sure you mark the end of your meal. Put any left-overs immediately into containers into the fridge so they're not tempting you while they sit out on the bench. If you need something sweet to signal that dinner is over have a piece of fruit. I usually have a glass of red wine or a decaf coffee as well. Anything to tell your subconscious that eating time is over.

5. Drink water. If you are hungry in the evening even though you've followed all of the previous suggestions a glass of water will always take care of those hunger pangs. I was dubious when I first heard this, but it actually does work. I never snack in the middle of the night any more, I just reach for the water. On the downside it sometimes means getting up to go to the toilet quite often! :lol:

6. Most importantly GO TO BED EARLY. I know you don't want the advice of 'go to bed', but it's really a fail-safe way to avoid late night hunger. If I'm genuinely hungry at night it's usually because I've stayed up past bed-time and my body needs more energy to keep awake. You can avoid this by going to bed at a sensible hour (says she who is posting this note at 11.35 PM!!!) Another reason for doing this is that sleeplessness has been linked to weight gain. So sleep is a great way to lose weight!

Good luck! I hope you find a way to beat your munchies. :D
EvilWombatQueen

Postby mumnbub » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:40 am

I agree with everything above. I used to snack at night but now I dont. I sit down for dinner about 5:30pm with my son and eat very slowly, taking the time to enjoy every mouthfull. I drink plenty of water throughout the afternoon and evening and about an hour or so after dinner sit down with a jarrah hot choc which is 99% fat free and really tasty :)
An early night is a great idea like EWQ said, the longer your up the more energy your burning and the more you need to eat. If you need to stay up late (like myself as I have study to do) then maybe have a small dinner at 6pm then a bit more at 8pm but without actually eating more food- this should not really be needed though if your having a propper dinner full of proteine and healthy vegies.
A lot of it is probably habbit- it took me a while to break bad habbits but just push through it and take away the need- it will get better
Start weight: 98kg April 2008
22/12/08- 80.7kg
29/12/08- 81.8kg
04/01/09- 81.6kg
12/01/09- 81kg
19/01/09- 80kg
09/02/09- 79.3kg
Next goal 75kg

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/waXaD9j/]
[/url]
mumnbub

Return to Home Grown Tips