It is currently Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:16 am

Free Newsletter

Lo-Cal Meals

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

Lo-Cal Meals

Postby Aldebaran » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:20 am

My tip is simple. Get rid of anything hi-cal from the house and always have plenty of lo-cal meals, so you can't make an excuse for yourself. Make it tasty and eat enough to fill yourself up. If you're hungry, you'll fail.

Here's a simple recipe that I enjoy (It's a bit rough). It contains plenty of antioxidants, and very few calories. It makes about 12 meals.

Veg portion
1 Sugarloaf cabbage.
1 Cauliflower head
2 large zucchinis
2 yellow squash
1 large carrot
1 kg tomatoes
250 grams of Jap pumpkin
2 medium potatoes
1 handful of snow peas
Thai Fish sauce to taste
2 tablespoons Malaysian curry powder (hot)
Splenda to tase.

Meat side
300 grams of lean pork
1 heaped teaspoon Thai red curry paste (hot)
No oil or fat

Dice the vegetables and add about 5cm of water to a large saucepan. Apply heat and cook until tender with a lid in place, stirring often. Add splenda to taste (I add 1 heaped teaspoon) and Thai fish sauce to taste (about a tablespoon or 2) Leave to simmer

Chop the pork into small cubes. Brown in a thick (good quality) non-stick skillet. Add water (enough to cover the base) and then the red Thai curry paste. Heat while stirring and allow the sauce to thicken then coat the meat. Don't let it burn!

Distribute the curried vegetables into take-away containers (12).
Distribute the meat (and any sauce) evenly between the containers. It's not much meat, but it should do the trick.

The key is flavour. You should look forward to a lo-cal meal, otherwise you'll never keep the weight off when you get to your goal. There are all kinds of variations you can try on this. Nowadays I have it with cous-cous, but that will cost you a few extra calories.

On the theme of flavour, anchovies are great for dieting. They have a very strong taste, and you don't need much to add flavour. The flavour to calorie ratio is pretty good.

I also make a mean cauliflower and anchovie soup with lo-cal cottage cheese on top. Add a touch of paprika on top of the cottage cheese.

Postby Aldebaran » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:25 am

Another tip for walking. If you're overweight and and start to feel tired while walking or you find yourself with a hill to climb, do what I do:

Think about what you've done to yourself through neglect and bad living. Get angry with yourself, and speed up while you're going up that hill (don't run). You'll find that you get to the top quicker that way.

Walk down the other side with your head up high. You did it. Watch out world - nothing can stop you now!

Postby Dolly » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:23 am

Thanks Jim, they are brilliant tips that are sure to help us :D

Postby Aldebaran » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:03 pm

Something I discovered in the supermarket:

John West Spreadable Tuna with mixed Herbs.

They come in 170gram Jars. The calorific breakdown is impressive:

Energy per 100grams is 406kJ

Protein: 15.5%
Fat: 2.7% (1.1% polyunsaturated)

I occasionally have half a jar(!) of spread with two Cruskits for lunch. It's a very satisfying very low calorie meal which I have now and again.

Total meal comes to:

Energy: 525kJ (about 130 kCal)
Protein: 14.3 grams
Fat : 2.5 grams (High in Omega 3)

I sometimes have it with Green Tea. You could 'accidentally' snack on a jar without putting too much of a dent in the calorie plan.

Add a couple of slices of tomato with no appreciable difference to the calories.

Return to Home Grown Tips