It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:49 am

Free Newsletter

7 Ways to Boost Your Metabolism Naturally!

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

7 Ways to Boost Your Metabolism Naturally!

Postby stevo1 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:30 pm

Boost Metabolism Naturally Principle 1: Increase Meal Frequency
One of the first strategies many people employ when they want to lose weight is to skip meals. Whilst it is true that reducing your food intake will help weight loss, trying to starve the excess weight off your body is futile.

Many people will skip breakfast, eat very little during the day, perhaps surviving on coffee and a few biscuits, and then have a large meal at night. This is a perfect formula for a slow metabolism and weight gain!

Your body has too many contingency plans in place if you try to starve the weight off. It may seem ironic but if you have more frequent meals you will actually lose weight faster because your body never has to invoke its ‘Anti-Starvation Response’.

A great natural metabolism boost is to have 5 or 6 small meals a day. This will keep your metabolism elevated all day long, prevent your body from invoking the 'Anti-Starvation Response' and will help you burn fat and therefore, lose weight fast!

Boost Metabolism Naturally Principle 2: Drink More Water
We’ve all heard that we need to drink more water. Not only does it improve our overall health but it can also boost our metabolism as well. By keeping all our body cells well hydrated, we ensure they function at optimum levels, which keeps our metabolism elevated.
Plus, if we become dehydrated, our muscle cells enter a ‘catabolic’ state, which means they start breaking down. If we lose muscle our metabolism slows down dramatically. Therefore, it is essential that we keep our body well hydrated at all times.

Boost Metabolism Naturally Principle 3: Consume Protein With Every Meal
Since our body is a dynamic structure, which means it is constantly building up and breaking down tissues, it is essential that we supply it with the building blocks it needs to conduct the building component as effectively as possible. The building blocks the body needs are amino acids, which come from protein.

If we go without protein for greater than about 3 hours, our body enters a ‘catabolic’ state, which is also known as a ‘negative nitrogen balance’. This means there is more breaking down going on in the body than building up. This slows the metabolism. As a result, consuming protein with every meal is essential in keeping your metabolism elevated.

Boost Metabolism Naturally Principle 4: Use a Thermogenic
Many people complain that they have a slow metabolism. Whilst a slow metabolism may have a number of causes, XLR8 Thermogenic addresses the primary genetic cause of a slow metabolism, which is a low sympathetic tone.

Sympathetic tone relates to the amount of norepinephrine (NE) released from the ends of neurons (nerve cells). The more NE released, the higher the sympathetic tone and therefore, the faster the metabolism. This is genetically pre-determined. Some people produce more NE and some people produce less.

A safe and simple way to normalise a low sympathetic tone is to use XLR8 Thermogenic. It will increase the amount of NE released by neurons, which will speed up your metabolism and assist your weight-loss efforts.

Boost Metabolism Naturally Principle 5: Use a Multivitamin
Our body requires a range of nutrients every day to function at optimum levels. Since it is virtually impossible to get all the nutrients your body needs just from your food, supplementing your diet with the missing nutrients is essential.

A multivitamin provides a range of nutrients that may be lacking in your diet. By helping your body function at optimum levels, you keep your metabolism elevated.

Plus, MultiBoost has added ingredients to support proper thyroid function. The thyroid gland is responsible for controlling the metabolism of all body cells and by ensuring it is provided with the nutrients it needs to function optiumally, your metabolism will stay elevated as well.

Boost Metabolism Naturally Principle 6: Exercise Regularly
Any exercise you perform will have a positive impact on your metabolism. Exercise involves regular and rhythmical muscular contractions that are more frequent and more intense than ‘normal’, daily activities.

As a result, the amount of fuel your body uses when you exercise greatly increases, i.e. your metabolism speeds up.

Even after the exercise has finished, your metabolism stays elevated for several hours, which increases the amount of fuel your body burns.

Boost Metabolism Naturally Principle 7: Increase Your Muscle Mass
By increasing your muscle mass, you dramatically increase metabolism and accelerate the rate at which your body burns fat for fuel.
The following resistance exercises can help to increase your muscle mass: lifting weights, using rubber bands or performing body-weight type exercises like yoga, pilates or callisthenics.

By doing so you increase the body’s metabolic rate permanently because muscle is one the most metabolically-active tissues in the body.

If you perform at least 30 minutes of resistance exercise twice a week, you will gain all the necessary benefits that resistance training offers. From a fat-burning perspective, the most important benefit is that your metabolism will speed up because muscle is the most metabolically-active tissue in the body, which means it burns up the most energy.

By increasing your muscle mass you automatically increase your metabolic rate. This is the most over-looked aspect of losing weight.

If you consider how much weight we put on as we age, you need to consider how much of the extra weight could have been prevented if we had simply maintained our muscle mass. By performing the 2 sessions a week we can easily prevent the age-related metabolic decline!
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Advertising links are not allowed in signatures.
stevo1

Re: 7 Ways to Boost Your Metabolism Naturally!

Postby Alexandria_ » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:10 pm

Thanks a lot for those tips!
I was wondering how often meals or snacks should be eaten?
I'm currently running by own plan and I try to eat like this:
8am - Breakfast
10.30am - Snack
1pm - Lunch
4pm - Afternoon Tea
7p - Dinner
Alexandria's weight loss!

Starting weight: 101kg (20.7.10)
Short-term goal: 95kg by 3.09.10
Long-term goal: 63kg
Alexandria_

Postby stevo1 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:02 am

Hi Alexandria,

Great to hear from you!

I think your approach is perfect! 5 or 6 small meals a day is a great way to go. Please keep us all updated with your progress.

However, for some people who have a really slow metabolism I don't recommend going from perhaps 2 or 3 meals a day straight to 5 or 6. Rather, gradually increase the meal frequency over time as the body's metabolism increases.

I find appetite is a good indicator of metabolism and correct portion sizes. Also, some people find it difficult to fit in 5 or 6 meals a day due to lack of time (or preparation!) and if that is the case for someone then I suggest using protein shakes for the mid-morning, mid-afternoon and perhaps the supper meal as well. They are quick, easy, cheap and convenient.

In saying this though, be very careful about selecting the right shake for you, especially if you want to lose weight. Go for shakes that are low in fat and carbs and high in protein, preferably whey protein.

All the best of success!

Cheers,

Steve.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links removed. Please refer to forum rules.
stevo1

Postby Addison Brown » Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Hello guys,
Really a very good post with some valuable information. Thanks for sharing.
Addison Brown

Postby jennywilliamson » Thu Dec 09, 2010 1:14 am

Great! Just great!

:D
jennywilliamson

Postby dragonfly » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:22 pm

nice to read those tips!!!

I had a metabolism of zero, and now my body is a fat burning furnace!!!
i have basically done all those tips.

I eat all day long actually. I didnt know about the protien every few hours, but I guess I do that as yogurt, milk, and nuts, cheese, meat all have protien :)
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby baseter » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:04 am

I'm in some doubt about the tip to use thermogenic drugs to help you to improve your methabolism. Maybe your body produces that amount of heat because the overall system works better in this way, and this kind of meds can have a big impact that you may not want.
baseter

Return to Home Grown Tips