It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 7:07 am

Free Newsletter

Fish Oil And Weight Loss

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

Fish Oil And Weight Loss

Postby stevo1 » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:53 pm

Hey Everybody,

There are so many health benefits to taking fish oil including weight loss! This may seem ironic considering it is an oil (fat), but here is some information about how it may be able to assist your weight-loss efforts:

Increased cell membrane ‘fluidity’
Since fish oil is composed primarily of omega-3 fatty acids, which are one of the two essential fatty acids, they are a component of the membranes of all of the trillions of cells in our bodies.

The fish oils hold proteins in the cell membranes (because of their double bonds), which help them act as protein channels and protein pumps, which are used for transporting nutrients into cells and wastes out of cells.

Sufficient intake of fish oils means that the cells can function more efficiently and this is likely to boost the metabolic rate, which will assist fat burning and weight loss.

Furthermore, it is theorised that since essential fatty acids (EFAs) also make up the membranes of the cell’s organelles (small organs), these organelles will also have more efficient functioning and therefore contribute to boosting the metabolic rate of the cell.

Oxygen transport and delivery
In order to be completely burned up, fat requires a substantial amount of oxygen. Since EFAs (including fish oil) are involved in oxygen transport and delivery within cells, oxidation of substrates (mainly fat and carohydrate) and energy production in cells and organelles, it is no surprise that the fish oil and weight loss relationship is strengthened through this mechanism.

Improves recovery time post-exercise
Since EFAs assist in the conversion of lactic acid to carbon dioxide and water, the body may recover faster after each exercise session. This means that more frequent exercise session may be performed, which will help you achieve your weight loss goal much faster.

Assists muscle growth and/ or maintenance
EFAs, particularly fish oils, are involved in nutrient transport, oxygen transport as well as electron transport in cells. Overall, this can help increase muscle growth or at the very least help maintain muscle mass.

Since muscle is one of the most metabolically-active tissues in the body, increasing it or maintaining it will assist in burning fat and in the long term, losing weight. This tends to be a more indirect relationship between fish oil and weight loss.

Appetite suppressing effects
The theory of fish oil and weight loss is also supported by the fact that oils have appetite suppressing effects. It is believed to result from the fact that oils slow down the passage of food leaving the stomach, which helps people feel full for longer.

GI lowering effects
Fats and oils also slow down the absorption rate of carohydrates. This means that the blood sugar may stay stable and therefore ensure a lowered insulin response from the meal.

Lower insulin means the body can access and use fat as a fuel source more effectively. This means weight loss may ecome easier.

Anti-inflammatory effects
Omega-3s are known to have powerful anti-inflammatory effects. Therefore, if a person has a tendency to retain fluid as a result of their diet, lifestyle or medication, taking fish oil on a regular asis may assist their body in becoming rid of the excess fluid. This is another way that the fish oil and weight loss theory is supported.

Overall, it is definitely worthwhile using fish oil for weight loss. In fact, everyone can receive the amazing health benefits of fish oil by simply adding a few grams, in supplement form, to their diet every day.

Some people prefer to have the fish oil capsules, whilst other prefer simply having the liquid because smaller amounts are required. Either way, it an essential supplement to include in your diet, especially if you want to lose weight!

In order to get the best results, have 4-6 capsules a day. Even if you have the 'one a day' capsules, it is still best to have 2-3 of those. The 'one a day' concept is for RDIs I believe, not therapeutic dosages. Alternatively, you may prefer to have a few teaspoons of the liquid instead. Either way, fish oil is definitely a supplement that is worthwhile adding to your 'must have' list and is one of the few supplements to have every day.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links removed. Please refer to forum rules.
stevo1

Re: Fish Oil And Weight Loss

Postby court » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:43 am

Thanks Stevo!
I take 4 fish oil caps everydays and add a slurp of flax oil to almost everything "cold" that i eat (in my morning protein shake and in salad dressing) and have been doing so for about a month. Have put away my scales for the moment as they are a bit detrimental to me personally but the benefits of the essential fats in regard to mood and post exercise recovery have definitely been evident! Thanks :)
court

Postby AbelAbbot » Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:26 pm

The body can transform carbs and protein into saturated and monounsaturated fatty acids but it can not produce polyunsaturated fats, which are called essential fatty acids, you get from the food we eat and the main reasons why the fish oil worked better was that the metabolism was increased and the insulin levels were found to be 50% lower. Insulin is responsible for among other things regulating the body fat storage mechanism and converting carbs into sugar then fat for storage for future use.
AbelAbbot

Postby bethanyherman » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:38 pm

I agree that taking fish oil for weight loss might seem a little weird, given that it is in fact an oil. But after a few reads on the benefits of fish oil in short and long term, I am inclined to believe that it should be a part of our diet whether you are trying to lose weight or not.
bethanyherman

Postby SydneyPT » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:40 pm

If you are getting enough fats from real foods, then there is no need for supplementation. There are no scientific, peer-reviewed journals to say so. And yes, fish oils are fat and if you go over on your daily fat requirements, you will still put on body fat.
Check out my Facebook page- Insanely Fit Personal Training
SydneyPT

Return to Home Grown Tips