It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:58 pm

Free Newsletter

My wonderful veggie container

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

My wonderful veggie container

Postby let it shine » Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:24 pm

Hi all, I have a good quality airtight container designed specifically for keeping veg fresh that is one of my favourite tools in eating healthy.
In it I put a working week's worth of prepared veg that can be eaten either as salad or cooked. This includes things like:
whole: baby spinach leaves, snow peas, beans, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, baby corn
florets of broccoli,
sliced: carrot, celery, capsicum, purple or green cabbage, spring onion (or shallots/green onion depending on where you come from)
etc etc

Then, no matter what I am eating, the veg are ready to go so I'm not put off by all the peeling and chopping. I'll toss them into a casserole dish with a lean protein and maybe some fresh herbs, stir fry them with chilli and tofu, put it on the dinner table as a salad with a vinegar or lemonjuice, steam them, put them in a wrap for lunch, use it as an omlette filling for weekend brunch, make a pressed toasted sandwich, toss into some foil with a piece of fish for bbqing etc etc.

I never seem to use the same combo of veggies and I always add something different to it each night of the week so it doesn't feel repititious and I never am too tired to add veg to my meal.
let it shine

Re: My wonderful veggie container

Postby Mayden » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:10 pm

What a great idea, especially for busy people. I love when my vegie container is full, I do not cut them up as I do not work so I have time to prepare them each day.
Goals
30th April 77 Kilos I am so determined to get to this goal
Mid June 73 kilos
Mid August 69 kilos
November 68 Kilos
Mayden

Postby SugarandSpice » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:22 am

Sounds like a great idea

where do I get one of these vegie containers???
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby let it shine » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:27 pm

Mine is a tupperware one Vicki but I am sure there'd be other brands on the market if you looked around. I'm not sure what its called but it has deep grooves on the bottom and optional 'breather' settings on the side. I was a bit skeptical that it would keep the veg fresh when I got it but as long as I make sure the lid is on properly after the kids have been in to sneak out all the cherry tomatoes and snow peas, it works brilliantly!
let it shine

Postby let it shine » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:28 pm

Mine is a tupperware one Vicki but I am sure there'd be other brands on the market if you looked around. I'm not sure what its called but it has deep grooves on the bottom and optional 'breather' settings on the side. I was a bit skeptical that it would keep the veg fresh when I got it but as long as I make sure the lid is on properly after the kids have been in to sneak out all the cherry tomatoes and snow peas, it works brilliantly!
let it shine

Postby SugarandSpice » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:34 pm

Thanks will have to have a look at the shops - sounds fantastic if you can chop and slice and leave veg in there... :D
Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
SugarandSpice

Postby tinkerbella » Tue May 01, 2012 8:19 pm

what a great idea....thanks for that now ive just got too do it..
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby tinkerbella » Wed May 02, 2012 7:47 pm

i did this today and what a great idea just stick it on the dinner table and even my oldest son got into it....will keep doing this a great idea...thank you so much for telling us about it.
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby sunshine88 » Wed May 09, 2012 1:53 am

We have lots of cheap containers in our groceries here that i can use as a container. Thank you for sharing this.
I would often put off eating veggies because i was too lazy to prepare them. This is a wonderful idea! :D
sunshine88

Return to Home Grown Tips