It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:24 pm

Free Newsletter

What every dieter should know and understand

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

Re: What every dieter should know and understand

Postby AndyJ » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:27 pm

DD Diva wrote:Andy, weight loss (and maintenance for that matter) is not about living on "rabbit food" it's about portion control.
I've lost close to 48kg (well 58kg from my heaviest weight) with still about 10-19kg to go (depending on weight of the excess skin) and I haven't lived on rabbit food, nor have I exercised my (now much thinner) a$$ off to get there....AND I don't plan to when I reach maintenance.
I've learnt to control my portions, eat everything in MODERATION and move move move (and generally a whole lot more than I ever did). But most amusing part of it,is that I'm moving more not necessarily to negate what I'm putting on my plate but because I ACTUALLY ENJOY going being more physically active, I dance around like a teenager, run around the park with my dog, go for super long walks with my husband or work colleagues every chance I get!!!
If it's a chore you will get bored, and when that happens you risk the weight going back on. :oops:
My advice to you is simple.....
Change what you do so that it becomes enjoyable, and you stick with it. After all, weight loss and maintenance is about lifestyle change (but there is not point in making that change something you don't enjoy because if you dislike it, you'll soon tire of it and before you know it, you'll be back to your old weight).
As for your work colleague, his is one of genetics (most likely) with perhaps the fact that he's about your age? but don't envy him too much....if that's the case, the weight will find him in his more senior years!! :oops:

That is what I think you are failing to understand.

U have done this before, first time I lost over 60kg's. Only way I could maintain it was through eating rabbit food and exercising my butt off. There was no solution other than that. You could give me your current eating plan, I will eat what you do and I will be back over 90kg in no time.

I use to eat a perfectly healthy balanced diet for years, 2000 Calories per day for 2 years straight without fail, my weight was 102kg..

So yes, it is rabbit food for me, it is hours of exercise per day, that is what I have signed up for by doing what I have already done.
High : 136 Kg (Oct 2006)
Low : 76.6 Kg (Mar 2007)
Current : 87.15 Kg (13th Aug 2014)
Goals. : 78-79kg Kg
Maximum Allowed: 81 Kg
AndyJ

Postby AndyJ » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:29 pm

AndyJ wrote:

U have done this before, first time I lost over 60kg's. Only way I could maintain it was through eating rabbit food and exercising my butt off. There was no solution other than that. You could give me your current eating plan, I will eat what you do and I will be back over 90kg in no time.

I use to eat a perfectly healthy balanced diet for years, 2000 Calories per day for 2 years straight without fail, my weight was 102kg..

So yes, it is rabbit food for me, it is hours of exercise per day, that is what I have signed up for by doing what I have already done.

I meant "I have done this before"...
High : 136 Kg (Oct 2006)
Low : 76.6 Kg (Mar 2007)
Current : 87.15 Kg (13th Aug 2014)
Goals. : 78-79kg Kg
Maximum Allowed: 81 Kg
AndyJ

Postby DD Diva » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:37 pm

AndyJ wrote:
AndyJ wrote:

I meant "I have done this before"...

Andy, you won't fail........YOU HAVE TO STOP BELIEVING THAT!!! You don't have to live on "rabbit food".
The reason you will find it so hard is because you worked yourself so hard, it is unmaintainable.
Look at cases like "Biggest Loser" these people lost inexplicable amounts of weight EVERY WEEK because they exercised like machines 24/7 but then when put back into the real world, back to their normal lives over 90% regained their weight and then some!!!
My husband was in the military, where they fed the soldiers like kings, the men (and women) ate like no man's business...HUGE AMOUNT but they worked just as hard as they ate!!! But they were warned that when they hit civilian life again, the reality was that most would regain weight, and guess what....THEY DID!!!!
I will give you my plan gladly, if that's what you want, and (if you can manage it) YOU WILL NOT REGAIN the weight!!! But even with that plan, NOTHING IS INFALABLE if you don't believe you can be happy. Feed your stomach and your soul, otherwise you will be filled with loathing, and you will regain and undo all your hard work AGAIN!!
I don't want that for you Andy, so please, talk to people like Kim....he is a perfect example of someone who has lost an extraordinary amount of weight and kept (and still keeping) it off for life!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Blitz » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:07 pm

The main problem is attitude. If you feel deprived...you will resent the lifestyle and sooner or later you will fail to live it.

When I was supersized I referred to healthy foods derisively as "rabbit food" being primarily a meat eater of the first order (I still love my meat). But as I got healthier I began to appreciate a wider variety of foods like a good salad. Indeed, I've actually come up with my own salad dish that I am proud enough to serve my guests. Each time I make it, my wife and me marvel just how different my lifestyle is. Once I wouldn't be caught dead eating this stuff and now not only was I eating it but I was making it!

You've got to take ownership of the lifestyle. It has got to be motivated from within. It is not enough just to do "the numbers", you have to make it a part of your very being. It's not a question of doing - it's a question of being. That is why I talk about changing your character - your very being - becoming who you ought to be. That means a transformation of your mind...your thinking...and changing your lifestyle in response of that change.

One of the things that does separate me from most of the people on this Forum is the fact that I don't have a history of trying to lose weight and putting it back on. Through out my fat years I never attempted to lose weight. I always told myself that if I did - that I wasn't going to play at it, if I was going to lose weight - it would be for keeps. All through those decades I did not try because I knew that in my heart I wasn't prepared yet to pay the price...to change my lifestyle. My then current lifestyle meant more to me than any future beneficial that I could conceive. So no change was possible.

Finally, I got to the place where I was ready to wish for change. I then spent a year thinking about the benefits of change verses my then current lifestyle. Slowly the wish turned into a want as I slowly caught the vision of what a new healthy lifestyle would look like. Then I programmed my brain to see the big picture. A better future...yes but also if nothing changed - a bleak future was waiting in the wings for me. I wanted that healthy lifestyle so much that now, that it was no longer a want - it become a must. I was prepared to sell everything for that pearl of great price. Now change was possible.

When I got to that state of mind I was ready to go. On 1st of January 2011 I began the journey weighing in at 153.7kg. Failure was not an option - success was a must. By 24th February 2012 I reached goal (87kg...I actually lost 87.1kg to be precise) - exactly 60 weeks after I started. By that time I've learnt enough about my healthy lifestyle to be able to successfully keep it to this very day.

My lifestyle today is the lifestyle I've chosen. I own it. It isn't a case of me feeling poorly about not eating what others eat or having to exercise more than other people...it is what it is. The benefits of this lifestyle outweigh these "minor hardships" (actually when you embrace them they aren't hardships at all). Life is so much more than you had even imaged way back when you started. That is why I'm always going on about a better future. Having a healthy lifestyle that works for you really is a better future! :D

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby DD Diva » Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:53 am

Blitz wrote: But as I got healthier I began to appreciate a wider variety of foods like a good salad. Indeed, I've actually come up with my own salad dish that I am proud enough to serve my guests. Each time I make it, my wife and me marvel just how different my lifestyle is. Once I wouldn't be caught dead eating this stuff and now not only was I eating it but I was making it

Wonderful post Kim!!!
Btw I'm a huge salad lover, would love your recipe if you'd care to share??? :D

Andy,
I couldn't have found the words to express as well as Kim's has so done eloquently, especially today (work was so full on, I'd be surprised if my ramblings even made sense!!) :oops: but I will say this with confidence, no greater man could advise you better than the one who has done what he has, and is still doing!!! Please heed his words, losing weight is the easy part, maintenance is a lot harder but he is living it everyday and for someone just entering this stage (yes I know, you've done it before) but you'll stand to gain great benefit from the wisdom of his experience. :wink:
DD Diva

Previous

Return to Home Grown Tips