Free Newsletter

7 Quick Tips to Boost Your Metabolism

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

Postby SarahC » Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:24 am

Author: Nick Nilsson

Your metabolism or metabolic rate can determine exactly how quickly you gain or lose fat. Here are some quick tips you can put to use immediately to help crank up your metabolism and increase your fat burning.

1. Eat Breakfast

It's no myth that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. If you skip breakfast thinking you are saving calories or time, consider this...

Your body has been in a fasting state for 8 hours or more. When you wake up and don't give it any food, its natural reaction is self-defense. It thinks "famine" and automatically slows your metabolism to a crawl to conserve calories. Not only does everything you eat for the rest of the day have a far greater chance of being stored as fat, your chances of burning any fat off that day are low.

And here's the whammy... you're going to get really hungry later and will probably want to eat something that's not so good for you. With your now-slower metabolism (because you skipped breakfast), you're going to store a lot more of that "not-so-great" meal than usual.

2. Eat Frequently

Besides skipping breakfast, the next biggest metabolism-killer is long waits between meals. Every time you eat something, your metabolism ramps up to process the food. The more frequently you eat, the more frequently your metabolism will get a boost.

The real key, however, is to be sure you're eating smaller meals (eating 5 big meals instead of 3 big meals isn't good for losing fat!). Try to eat 5 or more times per day, even if it's just healthy snacks between meals.

3. Exercise With Intensity

Your metabolic rate is directly related to the intensity of the exercise you perform. Walking will burn calories while you're doing it and give your metabolism a small boost for a little while after but it doesn't compare to high-intensity interval training. That type of training can boost your metabolism for a full 24 hours or more after.

Even if you can't handle high-intensity training, you can always find ways to make the easier exercises such as walking more intense, e.g. walk faster, walk up hills, wear a weighted back-pack, etc.

4. Train With Weights

Weight training builds muscle and muscle is a huge factor in determining your metabolic rate. Muscle tissue is very metabolically active. Your body burns a lot of calories just to maintain it.

Weight training gives your metabolism a triple-shot. Not only do you burn calories during the exercise, you also increase your metabolic rate long after the exercise (provided the training you are doing is intense). Add to that the extra muscle you build from the training and you can see how effective weights can be for boosting your metabolism.

5. Eat More Protein

Of the three major macronutrients (protein, carbohydrates and fats), protein requires the most energy to digest. Protein is also less likely to be stored as fat because of this. Protein will also help you to build up your muscle.

I don't recommend that you overload on protein, however, focusing on getting plenty of good-quality protein from a variety of sources (e.g. lean meats, chicken, fish, eggs, soy, etc.) can help keep your metabolic rate high.

6. Take Your Vitamins

Your metabolic rate basically boils down to chemical reactions in your body. Vitamins and minerals (and water) are important parts of these chemical reactions. If you don't have enough of these components available for your body to use when it needs them, your body will have to limit itself to what you've got.

Think of your metabolism as a car assembly line. You can't build a complete car until you have all the parts available. If, for example, you only have enough doors available to build 100 cars but you have 200 doorless cars on the line, you're missing out on a lot of potential production.

By taking a multivitamin on a regular basis, you will not only support
your metabolism but your health as well.

7. Reduce Your Fat Intake

Fatty foods take longer for your body to digest and they leave you feeling fuller longer. While not being hungry is certainly fine when trying to lose fat, eating meals that encourage you to wait longer periods between eating can slow your metabolism.

This goes back to the point about eating frequently. If you eat fatty foods for breakfast, you may not want to eat anything again until lunch, which could be 5 or more hours away. Ideally, you should eat approximately every 3 hours.

If you're looking to give your metabolism a boost, give these tips a try. A faster metabolic rate can help you tremendously with fat loss.
SarahC

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:46 am

Thanks for that Sarah :D Looks like I'm doing all the right things for my body - woohoo!!
That's from that e-book you were reading I'm guessing? Sounds good, not any of the fad diet crap that is out there!!!
zeedeveelgirl

Re: 7 Quick Tips to Boost Your Metabolism

Postby Diminishing » Sun Jul 13, 2008 8:39 am

Sarah,

Thanks for that. Those tips are pretty much exactly what I am doing, which is SO reassurring!
Lucy xx

Diminishing

Postby yellowroses » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:11 pm

wow - I didn't know protein took more energy to digest. It also keeps you fuller for longer so it's great for snacks :)
Goal for 2010: Be at most 99.9kg by 31st December 2010
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wePqDKj/

Final Goal: 68kgs.
http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcytIxC/

I'm taking back my life.
Check out my vlog: http://www.youtube.com/yellowroses89
yellowroses

Postby carinna » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:43 pm

Hi yellowroses,

Yes I think I've read somewhere that protein takes longer to digest. However!We should always read labels of foods we eat. Some protein bars and energy bars have very high calori count. Protein shakes that are advertised for use with weight training and exercise often have high calorie content and other yucky ingredients. I try to stick to lean meats (in moderation of course) in order to build muscle. More muscle, more fat burning. more fat burning, less fat!

Cheers!
*Check out my BEFORE and AFTER pics*:
http://www.carinna.wordpress.com
**Comments are always welcome!**
carinna

Postby libby » Sat Aug 16, 2008 2:50 am

Thanks for posting this! Very sound advice :)
libby

Postby Chipmonsta » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:09 am

Hi, thanks for posting this, very helpful!

Quick Question

I regulary skip breakfast, not on purpose, but becasue i have a bad habbit of staying up late and sleeping in till say 10am. i haven't been eating breakfast becasue it seems like a waste when lunch is only 2hrs away, so is this slowing my metabolism?

should i still be eating breakfast so close to lunch?
or should i just continue to wait it out till lunch?

any suggestions would be great :P
Chipmonsta

Postby Shalimar » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:10 am

It would be best to still eat some breakfast Chippie. I never ate breakfast either and it didn't hinder my losses any nor did I ever get hungry waiting until lunch time for food but once I started on the exercise I had to have it or I probably be passing out on my walks.

I now love my breakfast more than any meal of the day.

Perhaps you could blend up a couple of days worth of fruit smoothies as a start, that's what I did, just started on the smoothies and worked my way up to something more substantial.

SW: 175.0 kgs.
CW: 62 kgs-Hit goal 12 September 2009.
Shalimar

Postby simeonMM22 » Sun May 17, 2009 1:28 pm

As an addition.always smile and be positive.It helps in keeping our body and mind both healthy.
Last edited by Shalimar on Sun May 17, 2009 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Signature removed.
simeonMM22

Postby aadhar » Wed May 20, 2009 3:17 am

Those tips are pretty much exactly what I am doing, which is SO reassurring!However!We should always read labels of foods we eat. Some protein bars and energy bars have very high calori count. Protein shakes that are advertised for use with weight training and exercise often have high calorie content and other yucky ingredients.
Last edited by Shalimar on Wed May 20, 2009 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Take your spam elsewhere.
aadhar

Return to Home Grown Tips