It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:57 pm

Free Newsletter

Give up for now not for ever

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

Give up for now not for ever

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:00 pm

One of the things that lots of people do when they quit smoking (as I did in 2005) is deal with cravings in small chunks of time. So when a huge craving would hit I would say to myself "I won't have a cigarette for the next 15 minutes". At those times I wouldn't think about never having another cigarette...just not for the next 15 minutes. The reasoning is that anyone can go without a cigarette for 15 minutes right? So I would busy myself and usually found by the end of the time that the craving had passed or, if not, I would say it over again to myself "...not for the next 15 minutes".

I've started to use this approach with my weight loss and have found it working really well.

Today after an awful day at work and being very frustrated as I couldn't exercise for the last couple of days due to the extreme heat I was craving Hungry Jacks. I wanted a big old whopper with all the trimmings and a giant serve of french fries. I wanted it so bad I could taste it. I was actually driving on my way to the store when I thought briefly about how I'd probably feel like crap in a few hours when I realised how much I'd set back my weight loss. Not only would that meal be bad for me but the fact I'd allowed myself to use food to escape my problems would be even worse. So I said to myself "I won't buy this meal for the next 15 minutes". 'Cos anyone can wait 15 minutes right? So I drove past the store and on the hardware store where I needed to get something. Then I drove home. When the 15 minutes were up I was still feeling like the burger but said to myself "not for another 15 minutes". By the time that 15 minutes was up I was in the middle of preparing myself a healthy dinner...I didn't even realise the second lot of 15 minutes was over.

So (sorry for the rambling explanation) the tip is, if you can't deal with the idea that you have to not have something ever again don't think about it like that. Just say to yourself that you won't have the thing you know you shouldn't have for the next 15 (or 30 or 60) minutes. It's a tried and tested method for helping with quitting smoking and it can work as part of our weight loss journeys too. It seems our brains can tell the difference between "never again" and "not right now" and somehow deal differently with both those messages. The "never again" message becomes something that takes over all our thoughts whereas the "not right now" message is something our brains seem to accept and can get on with other stuff. I don't know why or how that works medically or psychologically but I can attest to the fact that it does. I successfully quit smoking 18 months ago and I successfully avoided an eating binge this afternoon.

Hope this helps someone else.
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)
mary_in_adelaide

Postby kate_turner2000 » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:30 pm

hi mary firstly well done for resisting temptation- especially driving past it! i dont smoke and i have tried it in my teens but found it revolting. i cant stand the smell of it. so i cant relate to the smoking part. however i know what you mean in terms of weightloss. i always think about the set backs for my weightloss and realise that it will make me happy for like 3 minutes eating whatever it is i craved but then the hindsight will kick in and ill think 'why didnt i sip on water or have a piece of fruit instead?' once again well done for not giving in. hj's is fine in moderation- as is all foods we have grown to love, but whilst losing weight it is definately not our best friend! its a foe! lol.
kate_turner2000

Postby Justjudy » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:41 pm

What a great idea Mary, will have to give it a try. Congratulations on giving up smoking. I have been there and my motivation was, how much is this costing me. I do the same thing if I want a takeaway, is it cheaper than something I can make at home? It helps if you are a real cheapskate.
Judy :)
Reach for the moon, at least you'll land among the stars.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wFABM9h/]
[/url]
Justjudy

Postby Lolly » Mon Feb 05, 2007 7:04 pm

oooooooooo Mary thanks for the tip to quit smoking - I find it just makes me sad thinking I am never ever having one again - 15 mins I can handle :lol:
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby SarahC » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:15 am

Thanks for the tip Mary :D Now, I only wish that I had read this last night BEFORE I ate half a tub of icecream and two chocolate protein bars :oops: :oops:

I will remember this tonight!

Well done for resisting the Hungry Jacks too :D
SarahC

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:39 pm

That's a great tip, Mary!! Thanks for sharing :)

I use that kind of psychology on myself to get through exercise if I'm struggling sometimes too.
"Just 5 minutes more, then you can quit."
5 minutes pass.
"Another 5, come on, then I swear you can quit"
5 minutes pass.
"Oh what the hell, another 5 to finish it off!!!"
Hahah :P
zeedeveelgirl

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:54 pm

Good idea for using the same thing with exercise Emma...although at the moment for me that's not much of an issue as I tend stick to walking until I get my fitness level up a bit. I walk to work and home from work (a little more than 5kms each way). If I walk half way and want to give up I'd have to sleep in a stranger's front yard and that would be just a little creepy :D

Lolly good luck with quitting smoking...hope the tip helps. I can say in all honestly I have not looked back (in fact it's my 18 month anniversary today). Although like Judy I also concentrated on the $$. I particularly liked to focus on the fact that most of the cost of a packet of cigarettes was taxes which meant the money was going to John Howard. I hate John Howard and didn't like the idea of giving him any more money. Worked for me
Cheers, Mary

If I could find a ticker for measurements it would say I'm on the way from a waist measurement of 134cm to one of 70cm (currently at 129cm)
mary_in_adelaide

Postby Draco » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:01 pm

hahaha.. I quit smoking in August 05 too, mary.. and the not wanting to give Johnny Howard money was a major help for me.
~die of nothing but a rage to live~

Draco

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:07 pm

LOL i prefer johnny howard over the snap crackle pop rice bubles boy!

ImageImage
kate_turner2000

Postby mary_in_adelaide » Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:55 pm

LOL @ Kate

I guess I should have said I hate politicians and hate giving my money to any of 'em. Wouldn't want to give all those smoking taxes to rice bubbles boy either for him to waste on crap no one needs.
Cheers, Mary

mary_in_adelaide

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:12 pm

cheers to that mary!
kate_turner2000

Return to Home Grown Tips