It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 3:06 am

Free Newsletter

Bread....

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

Bread....

Postby cindye76 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:45 pm

I used to eat lots of bread....mainly multigrain, occasionally white (I know, bad)....but has anyone ever tried having no bread for a week and then the next week eating a normal amount...say 3 slices a day. When I was doing WW, I did this for several weeks and the weeks I ate no bread I had significantly bigger losses than the weeks I did eat bread... So maybe if people are finding it hard to lose that weight...try a week of no bread!!! Keep eating your brown rices and wholegrain pastas...but see if the no bread makes a difference.... :D
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wtbJ0nL/]
[/url]
cindye76

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:00 pm

Thanks for the tip Cindy.

multigrain bread is my biggest weakness. I love toasting it and slathering it up with strawberry jam. I used to have about 6 slices a day (I know shocking).

Now, since starting my lifestyle change I have significantly reduced my intake. I allow myself 2 slices/per day or none at all depending what I have for lunch.

I will try going a week without bread :cry: (I can do it) and see if I have a better loss.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:15 pm

hey cindy i lost my weight from low carb high protein. so i cut breads pastas etc from my food intake. the initial reason was because they made me feel ill and bloated after eating them anyway. so i just started having other things instead. it made a huge difference! but of course carbs are wonderful things and work well in other programmes people are on
kate_turner2000

Postby Donk » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:18 pm

Since cutting down on what I eat for dinner, I have plenty of leftovers now and barely have sandwiches for lunch anymore, so bread is not really in my diet. BUt I used to eat white all of the time, now I'll eat nothing but brown or wholegrain bread.
Donk

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:39 pm

Kate do you have celiac disease? My friend is like you after eating any type of food with wheat in it she didn't feel well and was always bloated. She went and got tested and found out she had celiacs so now she eats gluten free products.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby kate_turner2000 » Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:50 pm

hey i could possibly have it! i have never really thought about it. is that hereditary? cos my mum gets ill from eating too much bread too
kate_turner2000

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:57 am

Kate, I believe it is hereditary. Not to sure though, that's what my friend said. She's been on a gluten free diet for 6 years now and feels so much better for it.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby shelleykay » Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:28 pm

Hi Corner

Did your friend lose any weight, just interested to know.

I feel awful after eating bread and other stuff like rice, pasta although potato doesnt do it to me....

I have nver had a test...I did look at the symptons on the net but I had only the bloating symptom...Hmmmm

:D :D :D
shelleykay

Postby KimE » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:21 pm

Potato is a different and dare I say better quality of carbohydrates so that might explain why you don't feel so bad from it.
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby zeedeveelgirl » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:58 pm

I tried a low carb, high protein diet once... I did lose weight but the second I ate carbs again I put the weight back on!!!
I couldn't deal with minimal carbs!! Carbs are your body's fuel!! My body doesn't seem to dislike it so I'm going to keep eating them! I'm just concerned with eating the right balance of carbs, protein & fats, and I always eat very good quality breads, pastas and cereals.
zeedeveelgirl

Postby Lolly » Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:59 am

I have eaten white bread for the past 2 days and feel horrible because of it - I miss my multigrain :cry:

I find I can easily eat far too many carbs so generally I am really careful about the amount I eat - but I definitely would not exclude them altogether.
Every day I am getting thinner and thinner.....

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wOMybmc/]
[/url]
Lolly

Postby Fairie » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:02 am

I LOVE BREAD :evil: :evil: :evil:

But it doesn't love me so now I try to avoid it and only have a Multigrain Wheat, Yeast & Dairy free one. I still tend to over eat with this too so I limit myself to 2 slices twice a week. :(
-Fay-

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wSDGUdx/]
[/url]
Fairie

Postby Ally » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:35 am

Squeeze a piece of white bread and see what it becomes in your hand....it is like glue!! Wholegrain bread and pastas are much better for you!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby A_Corner_Of_The_Earth » Sat Mar 10, 2007 3:11 pm

shelleykay wrote:Hi Corner

Did your friend lose any weight, just interested to know.

I feel awful after eating bread and other stuff like rice, pasta although potato doesnt do it to me....

I have nver had a test...I did look at the symptons on the net but I had only the bloating symptom...Hmmmm

:D :D :D

My friend is very petite and has difficulty putting on any weight. She only weighs 40 kg but eats all the time, she is perfectly healthy. She did lose 1 or 2 kgs initially but hasn’t lost any more because her body is now used to her diet, mind you she didn't have any weight to lose.

GW1 - 70kgs
GW2 - 67kgs
GW3 - 60kgs
A_Corner_Of_The_Earth

Postby Puffer » Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:48 pm

I cant remember the exact science of it now but in a low GI book I read it said eating carbs is absolutely essential and when you loose lots of weight on low or no carb diets it is water weight (because water molecules are bound to carb molecules or something wierd like that, so when you have no carbs in your body there is nothing for the water to bind to) which is why you put it all back on straight away when you eat carbs again.

Some other random stuff I can remember from that book:

Your brain which uses the majority of your energy each day can only run on carbs so it doesnt work so well on low carb diets

High GI foods release carbs too quickly and so you burn 100% carbs and then because your body cant metabolise fat quickly enough to be the sole fuel source when the carbs run out it burns almost 100% muscle

If you eat low GI foods carbs are released slowly, your body burns these carbs + some fat to make up the difference. It doesnt burn muscle for the 'top up' energy because your body recognises more carbs are still being digested and a quick, emergency, energy source (ie muscle) isnt needed
Puffer

Next

Return to Home Grown Tips