It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:05 pm

Free Newsletter

Bread....

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

Postby vanessa0305 » Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:58 pm

I try not to eat bread at all or if I do its empower bread. Its really just not good for you. If you're going to have bread you need to pick one with lots of grains...like a nine grain bread.
Vanessa

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woi7sgh/]
[/url]
vanessa0305

Postby Bread-Monster » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:23 am

I love bread. I can live without bread but I wouldn't be happy. Lately I've been experimenting with different kinds of home made pan-baked flat breads. (cooking bread in a pan without oil). I'm going to attempt steamed bread and mantou during the uni holidays. I'm also looking for dieting alternatives.

I went to an African restaurant and tried their Injera which is a bread made of Teff, a slightly sourish grain with no gluten. It was delicious! The top bit was all spongy and had holes in it for soaking up sauce and the base is all smooth so you can hold onto it. The African use it as a table cloth and eat it afterwards. Problem is, I can't find Teff anywhere.

I reckon that if I can find chickpea flour, I can make a flat, yeastless, chickpea bread. Not as packed with carbohydrates and better for you but still as delicious...
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:50 am

chickpea flour is also known as Besan Chana or Gram flour :wink: . You'd probably find it fairly easily at a health/whole food shop. My mumma sells it in hers.
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 3:39 pm

when i was in africa the bread was beautiful, they put a bit of sugar into their loaves of bread, however we didnt use our bread as a tablecloth whilst over there we used it as a door stopper and a sponge to wipe up spills when it went stale heheh
kate_turner2000

Postby onmyway » Sat Sep 15, 2007 10:20 pm

if I don't eat carbs I get shaky and can't exercise very effectively. I felt much much weaker. Having said that, I've been avoiding gluten and my allergies have gone!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPVZJ/]
[/url]
Goals:67=new shoes,65=haircut,60=shopping
onmyway

Postby madeline » Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:45 am

Never used to eat much bread, but this soy & linseed bread is so yum.
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby Bread-Monster » Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:59 am

mm soy and linseed is delicious.

I like pumpkin seed bread as well. It's mostly pumpkin seed and hardly any bread. Very hard to cut.
Current weight 50.4kg
Current Fat % 13.5%

Fat % 14.0%

-Si vis Pacem Para bellum-
Bread-Monster

Re: Bread....

Postby bigmac65 » Wed May 21, 2008 8:02 pm

I recently spent 30 minutes in a local supermarket checking labels, the "Bakers Oven Soy and Linseed" had the most protein (5g) and least carbs per slice (20.5g) and yes it was a normal slice size. :D
bigmac65

Postby HappyBella55 » Fri May 23, 2008 2:49 pm

I love bread!!! It's part of my daily diet. I could never give it up lol.

I used to eat 6 slices in one sitting :shock: now I eat 4 slices per day so I've managed to cut 2 slices out :lol:
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby GumBoots » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:40 pm

I must have a slice or 2 a day. It helps me bulk up meals a bit. In saying that I cant eat white breads or ices or pastas. I bloat and feel lethargic.
[/url]
GumBoots

Postby anaturallearner » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:09 pm

If I eat grains, especially bread, before midday I'm hungry for grains for the rest of the day and usually eat twice as much as normal. I've learned to stay away from it. That's really, really hard to do. Bread is such an instant food!

Someone once told me that it's the fillings in the sandwiches that stack on the weight, but I'm convinced it's the grains. They make me hungry, not satisfied. I eat that stuff 'til I'm stuffed! And feel really, really awful afterwards.

One thing I have noticed over the years of eating bread - especially things made from refined flour - I tend to get down and depressed, often really depressed, straight away. Talk about mood changes! I used to blame myself and think something was psychologically wrong, but a few times when it happened after I was okay and happy and not at all emotional or stressed, I began to suspect my diet. Now I don't go near scones - they do it every time. And I LOVE scones!

People who don't get this reaction to bread or grains generally tend to think I'm nutty. :D

cheers
Beverley
anaturallearner

Postby hippy_chick » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:01 am

Hi! I try not to buy bread, because when I start on the toast, I just cannot stop!!!

I read in a book that certain foods generate further cravings and that includes bread and pasta due to the sugar content and the subsequent rise and fall in blood sugar. They also release the cehmicals that make you happy, or something, so your brain tells you to eat more... something like that.

Whatever the science behind it is - I have certainly found that staying away from rice and pasta is a good thing. Like cereal and toast, I don't seem to know when to stop. I could just keep going and going! Where as I would usually have a stir-fry with veg and rice, now I just have the meat and rice (and sauce of course). I don't even miss the carbs and I don't feel like I've overeaten afterwards. Definately something to think about.
Slow & Steady Wins the Race!

I'm imformed, committed & consistant. I'm loving my body & working towards a sustainable body, the healthy way.

Persistance will set you free.
hippy_chick

Postby Strawberry » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:29 am

hippy_chick wrote: Where as I would usually have a stir-fry with veg and rice, now I just have the meat and rice (and sauce of course). I don't even miss the carbs and I don't feel like I've overeaten afterwards. Definately something to think about.

Do you mean just meat & veg? Rice is a carb.
Strawberry

Postby chunkymunky » Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:07 am

I went through a stage where i tried to cut out as much carbs as i could and i found myslef craving bread. Didn't care what it was like i just had to eat it. So i really have to have some bread every day or i crave it... and sometimes go a bit overboard.
chunkymunky

Postby Carley » Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:13 pm

I swapped bread over for wraps and I've had fantastic results!
Goal for 2016:
Current weight: 94 kilos
Starting weight: 102.5 kilos
Goal #1: 92 kilos
Carley

PreviousNext

Return to Home Grown Tips