It is currently Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:10 am

Free Newsletter

food diary a lifesaver

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

food diary a lifesaver

Postby Aquarian » Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:19 am

It has probably been said a million times over but I personally believe a food diary is absolutely essential. It is so easy to kid yourself otherwise. When I started out - I had 1500 calories a day in mind- I bought a notepad and calorie counter book, and because of time constraints for the first week I only wrote down what I was eating, I didn't actually tally it up until about a week later. What a shock! I had hardly reduced my calorie intake at all, so I learnt from that. Then last Sunday I did the same- it was a day where I could have what I liked so we decided on takeaway as it had been awhile and I was sick of cooking. In the morning I had a quick look at the calorie book and decided on a burger with egg and cheese ( 550 calories) I had only had 2 cuppas and half of a sandwich all day. At the last minute other half asks if I would like a potato cake or scallop as well. I thought- why not- I haven't had much today so I had 2 of those as well. Next day at my morning cuppa I tallied up the previous days calories and to my horror I HAD CONSUMED 2650 calories!!!! I was sooooo annoyed. Basically I had undone the entire previous weeks dieting efforts. I consoled myself by saying that at least I exercised everyday, so some good must come out of that.
Then last night I got the munchies and decided on a salada biscuit with some chicken on it. I got everything out to make it, and my food diary was sitting there, open, and I looked and saw that I had already reached 1522 for the today, I asked my self if I really really wanted it- told myself my tally would change to nearly 1700 for the day- and that was enough to say no. Put everything back and never gave it another thought.
So as you can see, the food diary is vital to me-
A closed mouth gathers no feet
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w0RQlKw/]
[/url]
Aquarian

Postby Maraver » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:40 am

Well done... its something I need to start myself thanks for the push in the right direction :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wcPPfC1/]
[/url]
Maraver

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:43 am

hi aquarian

i found i didnt need a food diary whilst losing weight- i was pretty strict on myself and ate lots of fresh produce etc and exercised and cut out junk food and lost the weight. however once i reached my goal weight i needed to confirm my calories with calorieking because its heaps easier to introduce those foods back into my food consumption knowing exactly how many cals they are.
kate_turner2000

Postby emma21 » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:56 am

I have found keeping a food diary has been a necessity for me. I need to plan what I am eating in advance otherwise I will just pick at things all day.

Currently I eat something low fat for breakfast (usually about 2-3g of fat) and about 1200kJ. Lunch is usually pretty low in fat and kJ as well. Dinner is higher in fat and kJ. At the moment I am consuming about 5500kJ per day and about 18g of fat (average).
emma21

Postby Ally » Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:53 pm

I agree Aquarian food diaries are a must!! It is great tool especially if the scales are not moving or going up!! Thank you for sharing your story!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wGLHYSm/]
[/url]
Ally

Postby *KaTe* » Sun May 06, 2007 3:25 pm

Since being on the forever slim program I have kept a food diary also...I wouldnt be able to keep track of my carbs/proteins if I didnt...

I just plan my day's worth of food the night prior, so I know that I will definately be on track. A mistake I made last year when doing low carb is I got lazy and didnt bother writing anything down...and it took alot longer to get the weight off...

It may seem like a hassle and a chore at first, but once you get the hang of it it's easy! :D
*KaTe*

Where do u buy a calorie counter book

Postby qldvixen1 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:53 pm

Hi this sounds like a good idea i have been just writting down what i have been usually eating for lunch and dinner it does show you were u could do better but i am not sure how much calories or fat is in them. does anyone know where i can buy a food dairy and calorie count book from. so i can start looking at my food intake better i think i will be strikter on my self if i have it written down.

ta karen. :) :D
Love everything and u shall be loved
qldvixen1

Postby milkyway » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:06 pm

I think you can buy one of the calorie counter books just about anywhere - bookshops, newsagents etc. You could just use any old exercise book or regular diary as your actual diary, but i'm sure there will also be food diaries out there - same places as above.

If you want to record online and have all the stats & facts about what you're eating automatically calculated for you, try http://www.calorieking.com.au - it's free for Australian members. I found it really helpful. Cheers! :)
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Thanks

Postby qldvixen1 » Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:09 pm

thanks for the information milkway i just want to get started so i can get to a new me.
Love everything and u shall be loved
qldvixen1

Postby madeline » Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:21 pm

Oh god yes. Food diaries are my sole tool in losing weight. i don't do exercise so i'm extra strict on myself with the calories (1000-1100 a day). It's so easy to go over even having "good" food like a banana or natural museli bar. Even a tub of yogurt was more than I had thought. I calculate everything, even tic tacs and extra gum (didn't the add say less than 2cal a piece? they're actually 4 :? )
"Ððñ'† µ wï§h ¥ðµr gïrl£rïêñÐ wå§ hð† lïkê mê, Ððñ'† ¥å ßåߥ ;)"
CW- 57kgs, GW- 53kgs (8kgs lost!)
madeline

Postby Ophir » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:53 pm

Oh i agree with this. For me, a food diary is a bit like weighing in everyday. They are the things that keep me on track and accountable. Without them i find excuses to eat junk etc.
Ophir

Postby HappyBella55 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:04 pm

What a good idea. I'm sure the would sell food/exercise diary in sports shops - right? I'm so going to go and look for one, this will help me heaps when I get into my next phase next week.

It looks like it has worked for you ladies (going by the loss on your tickers), and a great way to keep motivation levels up.
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Postby kate_turner2000 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:05 pm

or you can just get an exercise book and you write down what you eat in that?
kate_turner2000

Postby HappyBella55 » Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:27 pm

yeah I could but I'd rather have one all ruled up, hahahaha call it lazy :D
Start weight - 77kgs
Goal weight - 53kgs
Current Weight - 50.1kgs

No more weighing, no more scales. My measurement is my success at health. It's an investment I make every single day. My priority: be healthy!
HappyBella55

Return to Home Grown Tips