It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:09 pm

Free Newsletter

daily stuff

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

daily stuff

Postby nouvellevague » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:30 am

Ok. I really haven't been taking care of myself lately so I really wanna reverse it all.. I was hoping you guys could give me some tips and useful pointers as to stuff that I could do and maintain on a daily basis to lose some weight!
More specifically, I really want to lose the fat from my legs and thighs.. get them slim again.. lose the fat from my ass so it doesn't stick out like a speed hump and to just lose that darned gut! I've been having trouble fitting into my usual clothes too and looking as good as before in them.
So, pointers? Stuff that I could do daily to help get myself back into 'fashionable' shape?
Oh and on that topic, has anybody tried that 8-12 technique? I saw it on a health program today. Where, in whatever excercise you do, you sprint for 8 seconds and go casually for 12? Or was it sprint for 12 and casual for 8...
nouvellevague

Postby SarahC » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:20 am

Hi :D

There was a discussion a while back about the 8/12 sec interval technique. Have a look in here....
http://www.weightloss.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3667

I had a go of it and it was quite fun, but I found I lost count very easily. Intervals are a great workout though! I use longer intervals myself (30-60sec) so that I don't lose count lol.

Other tips? Mine would be drink heaps of water (at least 2L a day) and cut out all the junk from your diet. If there's a lot of junk, just start with one thing at a time. And get in as much excercise as you can, depending on your fitness level and how much time you have.

Good luck :D
SarahC

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:37 am

ditto to everything sarah said :)
kate_turner2000

Postby nouvellevague » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:09 am

Thanks for that guys! I was also just wondering, the program suggested that it was best to do the 8-12 excercise only 3 times a week. I dunno, maybe any more than that and your body gets used to it and it doesn't have the same effect? Would this be right?

Anyway, anybody else have any other tips to add?
nouvellevague

Postby reester33 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:32 am

Usually you have to be exercising for at least 20 mins before you even start to burn fat. To burn fat you need to have your heart rate at a certain number (220 minus your age X 70%).

With interval training you are elevating your heart rate to cardiovascular range (220 minus your age X 80%). This burns off glycogen stores quicker so the body starts converting the fat to glucose. The added benefit is that your lungs and more importantly your heart gets a work out too. Basically it improves your endurance and raises your basal metabolic rate (so you are able to burn more kj's at rest).

So basically the 8/12 is a cardio workout with a little time to catch your breath! :lol: Thankfully I have a timer on my exercise bike which makes it easy to count.

I came across the link to the original news article from the Daily Telegraph in January at:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21 ... 98,00.html

They talk about increased catecholamine release (adrenaline and noradrenaline) which increases muscle activity, heart rate, etc. It also stated that insulin resistance was decreased by 32%. Good news for me! :lol: The researchers also recommend a Mediterranean diet with plenty of fresh food and fish oil tablets.

I'm definitely going to do this 8/12 regime supplemented with my usual Curves visits.

:) M

I WAS EATING MYSELF TO DEATH WITH A KNIFE AND FORK!
reester33

Postby nouvellevague » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:04 pm

Ok. But how many times a week? The program I saw said three times a week. Kinda figures.. I think maybe it has something to do with if you do it too much in a week your body will get used to it..?
nouvellevague

Postby nouvellevague » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:22 pm

And another thing, where can I get fish oil tablets from and for how much? What is the purpose of them?
nouvellevague

Postby Mandie » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:44 pm

fish oil tablets can be bought from the supermarket or your chemist or health food store - just ask someone. they contain omega 3 fatty acids which are thought to be good for the heart and cholesterol levels...

some people who have troubles with reflux/indigestion find that the tablets "repeat" on them and they get a fishy taste in their mouth all day... if this might be a problem for you, try a capsule formulation instead of a regular tablet, and this can help.

studies are not yet entirely conclusive about whether people need fish oil supplements daily. most physicians would recommend eating fish 2-3 times per week as your main meal.. and the best kinds are the oily fish like salmon and tuna. if you dont eat fish, the supplements might be a good idea.

generally, if you have questions, you should see your doctor. check with your chemist/health food store about the ingredients of the supplements and which is best for you
Mandie

Postby Coach Steer » Fri Jun 29, 2007 5:25 am

On fish oil...

Did you know that our ancestors consumed upwards of 300-400 grams of omega-3 per week? Nowadays we are lucky if we get a handful of grams in your average western diet. The most beneficial components of fish oils are DHA and EPA (DHA for brain health and development and EPA for reduction of inflamation). But aside from the many health benefits associated with these compounds, they help you get lean... :)

Consider the following extract from Dr John Berardi...
During an OGTT (oral glucose tolerance test - drinking a big 75g whack of liquid sugar and measuring the subjects for 2 hours afterward), the fish oil group burned 27g of fat vs. 20g in the placebo group. The fish oil group also burned 28g or carbs while storing 36g and the placebo group burned 51g of carbs while storing only 14g.

In addition, baseline insulin was 30% lower in fish oil group and insulin responses to OGTT were 50% lower in the fish oil group. What this tells us is that fish oil allows the body to burn more fat and store more muscle glycogen, repartitioning fuel away from fat cells toward muscle cells.

So, eat your fish oil... :D

Also, the best oil is the stuff you take by the spoonful. It ensures that you are not taking rancid oil. If you must take capsules, cut one open and taste/smell the oil. It should be like fresh sushi. If it is "fishy" it is no good.

Cheers,
Adam[/url]
Coach Steer

Postby nouvellevague » Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:57 am

Hmm so where can I get this one you can take by the spoonful?
nouvellevague

Postby kate_turner2000 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:08 pm

you can get liquid varieties at health food stores
kate_turner2000

Return to Home Grown Tips