It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:08 pm

Free Newsletter

Controlling Cravings

Share your weight loss tips here

Moderator: Moderators

Controlling Cravings

Postby Foreverdieting » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:09 pm

Hi Guys,

Am new here and would like to share some cravings crubbers I have tried and tested :) :

1. Sugar craving - This tip was the best thing I learnt from my year at Fernwood Geelong. Buy 7 Chuppa Chupps (For those who don't know what this is, it is a hard boiled sugar lollipop) for the week and have one each day. The trick is to not have one at a go, but to have a few licks everytime u crave a sugar buzz. You'll be surprised, but one lolly can actually last a whole day. I wrap mine up back in cling wrap and stick it back in my draw at work. This stopped me from eating the charity sweets (I was personally funding the box at work :D ) and I have saved heaps of kilojoules this way!

2. Fat/Nut craving - Twice or Thrice a week, this one hits me .. and my body just craves for the nutty fat flavour, like in almonds and pistachioes. I read this tip somewhere a year back and it works like a charm! I cut a carrot into16 sticks and eat each stick with one almond ... chew them both together. It is amazing how well the carrots spread the flavour of the nut and I swear it is like eating a whole mouthful of nuts!! Instead of eating a whole bowl of nuts, I eat just a small handfull with carrots now and am just as satisfied and I feel great!

3. Salt craving - This is a tricky one, I am still trying to find a happy end to this issue ... any tips guys? At the moment, I am trying to eat cucumber sticks with loads of chicken flavoured salt (Yes, I know tht sounds weird! :P .. kinda works for me though), but still can't help sorely missing cruchy potato chips :(. Also small bags of microwave diet popcorn works too.

Can everyone post their tips here please? I am actually clutching straws with mine .... all these work only for a few months at a strech!
Foreverdieting

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:04 pm

I have chocolate cravings so I ahve plain cocoa, no sugar, light milk and boiling water or 80% cocoa choc to fix a craving.

Otherwise, tictacs, brushing teeth ot mint mouth spray helps stop you wanting to eat for a while til the craving passess.

Drinking water helps feel full (though I'm naughty on this count and don't drink enough)
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Fireball » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:08 am

Thanks for the tips. Some foods you can have a small portion and it will satisfy your craving, thus your chuppa chup, others if you have a little it will trigger a binge. We all are different so need to try what works for us.

When you mention chips, it reminded me that a lot of the foods I craved were loaded with MSG. It took me ages and I put on a ton before I realised that was really the problem. Many highly processed savoury foods contain MSG - chips, pies, biscuits, even seafood extender (cocktail) from the supermarket deli! MSG is a flavour enhancer so when you have some, you eat the packet. Check the pack of your favourites (look for 621), and see, maybe that is what you are after.

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby BethyMog15 » Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:54 am

When I'm craving chip-like snack foods I eat either pretzals (very low in fat and they fill you better than chips do). My favorite pretzals are the Parker Tomato and Basil ones...mmm. I also eat vegetable chips, but different to the ones you'd think, they're dried vegies you can buy at most markets; dried carrot, potato, pumpkin, beans and others.

They are a bit expensive though (my mum gets them for $15 a kilo) and they are very moorish but at least they're better than chips! :P
Weight Feb 07: 77Kilos Weight Nov 07: 61Kilos Just 1 kilo to go until i've reached my goal!
BethyMog15

Postby oostevens » Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:11 am

ooooh olives! they are salty ish. Just have a few of those. I crave them ALL the time. :) mmm i want some now
[*RACHEL*]

YOU CAN DOOO IT!!!!!

[First goal: to reach 80kgs]
[Second goal: to reach 75kgs]

oostevens

Postby thisbemadness » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:12 am

Sugar free chewing gum!!!!! I dont really have cravings, my stomach just says 'eaaaaaatttt' so chewing gum between the occasional snack/meal always works!!

If there is a flaw in chewing gum, PLEASE tell me now!! lol
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wVlea6u/]
[/url]
thisbemadness

Re: Controlling Cravings

Postby Chipmonsta » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:19 am

the one craving that i need to control is the salty Chips as well. they are the only food that i really crave and probably 90% of the reason why i am overweight ;( Hence the forum name.
Chipmonsta

Postby fazila » Tue May 12, 2009 10:17 pm

I conquered chocolate cravings by switching to a small square of dark chocolate whenever I had the urge. As dark chocolate is full of antioxidants and flavonoids, it is actually good for you, and I find that the high cocoa content satisfies the craving.
Last edited by Jisgone on Tue May 12, 2009 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: more spam
fazila

Postby Fireball » Tue May 12, 2009 10:41 pm

Hey Chipmonsta, you may be in the situation I mentioned earlier. Check the ingredients in your favourite chips for MSG (621). I find when I have 1 chip I feel like eating the lot if it has MSG. :shock:

"Unknowingly, we plow the dust of the stars, blown about us by the wind, and drink the universe in a glass of rain."
Ihab Hassan
Fireball

Postby hersmart4ever » Wed May 20, 2009 1:35 pm

I am trying to do the given tips. So far, they are working. Thanks for sharing.
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Wed May 20, 2009 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed spam in signature
hersmart4ever

Re:

Postby Runner » Sat May 23, 2009 1:22 pm

thisbemadness wrote:Sugar free chewing gum!!!!! I dont really have cravings, my stomach just says 'eaaaaaatttt' so chewing gum between the occasional snack/meal always works!!

I'm the same, chewwy keeps me occupied and i can't have a biscuit if i've got chewwy in my mouth!
Runner

Postby court » Tue May 26, 2009 12:30 pm

water, instant coffee with some sweetener, a warm bath/good book, going to the gym! :D
court

Re:

Postby Hannah_Lee » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:19 am

thisbemadness wrote:Sugar free chewing gum!!!!! I dont really have cravings, my stomach just says 'eaaaaaatttt' so chewing gum between the occasional snack/meal always works!!

I have been told that if you chew gum, it produces more saliva in the mouth and your body craves more after because you're chewing, but not swallowing.

All these tips are fabulous, i have none lol

All that i know is i crave when im not prepared, i'll go out with friends and my son to a playcentre and think "damn why didnt i pack myself food!" then end up eating his chips and nuggets.

If you're not prepared for cravings you'll eat and think "ill work it off tomorrow", but then you cant stop..thats what my weeks been like!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/w6IiSXt/]
[/url]
Hannah_Lee

Postby kate28 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:02 pm

I don't really have any tips, but I will definitely try a lot of these, most definitely the chuppa chupp one ;)
Wish I had some tonight. After dinner I was just craving something sweet like chocolate :( the craving stayed with me for at least half an hour :( so I decided to make myself a coffee with half a teaspoon of sugar. Cleared that craving out thank god!

SW: 103.6 kg (started 8/11/10)
G1: 98 kg (achieved 13/12/10)
G2: 93.6 kg
GW: 75 kg (will reassess once I reach it)
kate28

Postby snappy1 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:30 pm

Do not leave your cravings unanswered. If you avoid your cravings you end up eating more when you get a chance. Address your cravings in small portions. Eat dates, fruits and nuts instead of sugar, fat and oily foods. Keep a bowl full of cut fruits and veggie salad and eat it as much as you can. Your cravings will subside and you feel refreshed.
snappy1

Next

Return to Home Grown Tips