It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:08 am

Free Newsletter

Sarah's Food Diary with a Difference

Share and keep track of what you eat each day to help you lose weight.

Moderator: Moderators

Sarah's Food Diary with a Difference

Postby SarahC » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:17 am

Arrgh, I have had it with the overnight eating! So, here's my idea.... I'm going to write up a diary of everything that I eat, between the hours of 9pm and 5am. Daytime is fine, no probs there, it's just after dinner then through the night till breakfast time that's the problem for me :oops:

Anyway, kicking it off with last night/this morning:

100g hard tofu (yes, cold straight from the fridge!)
A couple of teaspoons of low carb satay sauce
A small bowl of mum's tomato & capsicum soup
SarahC

Re: Sarah's Food Diary with a Difference

Postby ali76 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:28 am

Silly question Sarah, but when you eat during the night, are you actually hungry or is it more from habit?
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
Happy weight - 68 (I MADE IT!!!)
GW - 65 (for now - and until I conceive!)
ali76

Postby SarahC » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:36 am

Hi Ali :) I think both!!! Sometimes I wake up and I don't feel hungry, yet I still find myself in the kitchen :(
SarahC

Postby ali76 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:39 am

Have you tried having a warm drink instead....peppermint tea - might help you get back to sleep too??

I really have no advice or ideas on this one....I could go to bed at 9pm and sleep until 9am the next morning without any problems...no food, no drinks, no toilet...
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby SarahC » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:56 am

I've tried everything :( I could tell myself that I'm going to have tea if I wake up, or put some other plan into action.... I just ignore everything I tell myself, all the reminders I place around the house etc, and my sleepy midnight self just does whatever she wants!! Then the real me kicks her in the morning!!! :twisted:

Thanks anyway though :)
SarahC

Thursday 14th February

Postby SarahC » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:30 am

2am - 100mL soy milk

And.... that's it!

I woke up at 2am, and decided it was absolutely necessary to cut up the protein bars that I made and wrap them... which I did AND did not eat any whilst doing so!! I so wanted to eat just one, but I didn't, I drank some warm milk instead :)

Tell you what, I was hungry this morning... grrrr :shock:
SarahC

Postby Beetle » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:24 am

Hey Sarah, you sound like me. I have a rather fast metabolism and find that I will often wake up in the middle of the night absolutely starving, even to the point that I feel faint. Even if I do manage to sleep through the night, I wake up starving to the point that I'm incredibly weak until I eat. What works for me is to have something protein based such as yoghurt or milk right before bed.
Beetle
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woR3SP2/]
[/url]
Beetle

Postby ali76 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:00 pm

Hey - well done Sarah!! Do you think it helps that you know you're going to write it all down the next day?

I struggle to get breakfast down in the morning so eating in the middle of the night is so foreign to me!!!
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby Fiona25 » Thu Feb 14, 2008 4:09 pm

Well done on just having the soy milk Sarah!

I'm guessing you've tried all sorts of natural remedies for sleeping? Hypnotherapy, aromatherapy, naturopathy?
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby SarahC » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:09 am

Thanks guys! It feels like I've tried everything, although I'm sure I haven't...

Nearly at my wits end with it :cry:

Anyway, without further ado...

2 protien bars
1 serve of veggie chow mein

I can't even say what time that was, I just woke up in the morning, 5am, and my first thought was "great, I haven't slept in, and woo hoo, I didn't eat anything last night!!". THEN, I had that awful sinking feeling.... I knew that I HAD eaten something, but couldn't think exactly what it was.... then when walked into the kitchen there was the dirty bowl and spoon, and the wrappers from the protein bars :evil: I swear I almost cried!!! I don't even remember doing it. Don't know where I was when I ate the stuff, was I at the table, on the couch, did I even heat up the food before eating it??? I don't know!

I had to actually remove all of the chow mein from the container this morning and weigh what was left. Then knowing how much was there to start with, my trusty calculator told me how much I ate last night!

Calorie grand total 400cals. Too bad we can't swear on here!!!! :evil: :cry: :cry:
SarahC

Postby ali76 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:33 am

Are you getting up and eating in your sleep??
SW - 75.9
CW - 68
ali76

Postby Fiona25 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 11:08 am

Sarah, i'm sure you've tried lots of things for sleep but just going to suggest a few things incase you may not have tried them. When going to each practitioner, tell them how hard it is to sleep and getting up through the night and eating etc.

Naturopath - try to go to one with a meridian machine - it works very similar to kinesiology (sp?) they will come up with some yucky herbal mixes but will test out which ones your body wants. A good NP will also go through relaxation techniques etc to help sleep.

Hypnotherapy - either go to an actual hypnotherapist, or if you'd like an easier and less expensive option, there is a guy that makes hypnotherapy CD's for heaps of things and he has an insomnia one. Play it while you're trying to get to sleep, I think they're about $30. I think his website is http://www.resonanrecordings.com (maybe .au?) and there is one on there for weight loss which *I* don't think you need but it may be good for training your body to not eat when you aren't hungry eg, during the night.

Accupuncture - Its all about pressure points and it can help to relax and calm you and prepare you better for sleep

Reflexology - again, all to do with pressure points.

Scenar therapy - I don't know if I spelt that right but its pressure points with an infra read machine. My Mum who has insomnia swears by it.

Aromatherapy - I am heavily into this and sell products for animals and a few for humans. Run a nice hot bath and add in a few of these oils: lavender, ylang ylang, sandlewood, marjoram, chamomile. Lavender is readily available so probably the best choice, chamomile is VERY expensive and ylang ylang is affordable and is great. Sandlewood is quite expensive too but marjoram is fairly cheap. If you want dilution rates or anything just PM me.

Meditation - i've never tried it myself but it couldn't hurt!

I think if you started out with a hypnotherapy CD and an aromatherapy bath and put drops of lavender on your pillow it might help.

Also, have you tried to make your sleeping environment/bedroom as relaxing as possible? Maybe lighting some candles before bedtime, some essential oils such as lavender around the room so it smells calm and some meditation type music going? Might be nice to do some meditation/yoga/pilates or something like that, have a nice aromatherapy bath, then walk into your relaxing room.

I hope some of this helps :)
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby SarahC » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:46 pm

Thanks for that Fiona :D Will definitely have a closer look into some things!

Have got lots of lavendar at home, for my headaches mainly. I rarely have time for a bath, but I reckon I could put some on my pillow though. Reckon it would keep the cat away???? She always jumps on my pillow when I'm trying to sleep (she loves my hair lol) :P

I reckon I know what the problem is (an it's not the cat lol). I find that if I've had one of those evenings where I've been craving food really badly, thinking of it constantly, and just picking all evening, that I'm far more likely to eat when I wake up. My theory is that the thoughts of food are still in my head when I am asleep.... so although my body is asleep, my subconcsious is still thinking of eating. So, when I wake up during the night, my conscious mind (the part that says "no!!!") is not fully functioning and my subconscious (which has been obsessing about food while I was asleep) has full control over my behaviour. Hence, I'm in the kitchen eating at 2am :shock:

Hope that makes sense!!!

I have a variety of hypnosis CDs, but don't find them overly useful... they just tell me not to eat junk food, which I never do anyway lol!! They're good for relaxation though at least. I'm normally asleep by the time it gets to they hypnotic suggestions anyway :roll:

But yeah I don't have a problem getting to sleep, most of the time I'm asleep before my head touches the pillow. It's just that I can't stay asleep, I always wake up during the night :(
SarahC

Postby SarahC » Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:07 pm

I've had a brainwave!!!!

I've just been asking myself the question..... how can I make it physically impossible to get into my fridge and pantry during the night? I just went out for a walk, and now I have the answer!!

String!!

I'm going to tie string between the two handles of my pantry (it has double doors), double knots etc. So, to open it, I need scissors. The genius of my plan (if I do say so myself lol) is that the scissors will be located in my bedroom, in the drawers beside my bed. Therefore.... I go into the kitchen and dammit the pantry's locked.... I go back to my bedroom to get the scissors and, look at that, I'm back in bed :lol:

OR I could put the scissors in my car. I know that I won't be tempted to go out there... its dirty, and dark, yuck.

Doing the same to the fridge will take a little more of my engineering skills. But, I have some ideas :wink:

I don't know, but I reckon this might work... or at least give me a little bit of time, until I get my head sorted :D
SarahC

Postby big_love » Fri Feb 15, 2008 4:52 pm

Hey Sarah, it really could be sleep -eating...

My dad has a severe case of sleep walking where he eats, goes outside etc and doesn't know whathes doing. One night I was up watching tv, and he came walking out. I asked if he was awake and he said yes...he then went to the fridge, sat down with a full leg of roast lamb, and ate the lot...I went to bed before he ate it all though...when he got up the next day, he was complaining of having a pain in the belly and not feeling very good, and when I suggested it might be the massive feed he had, he didn't remember a thing! Its scary coz we have found him jumping off the verandah with a knife (was dreaming he was a pirate apparently), starting his car to "go to work", and more recently, mum told me her hair dryer has gone missing, the previous night dad had a dream about hairdryers...weird huh :? :? :?
140/117/85
big_love

Next

Return to Daily Food Diary