It is currently Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:39 am

Free Newsletter

Dave's Food Diary

Share and keep track of what you eat each day to help you lose weight.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Dave's Food Diary

Postby dragonfly » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:11 pm

hmmm... would love me some of those spuds dave :)
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby Dave » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:57 am

If I could I would :D
5km walk this morning "after" breakfast. Did a quick search on weather to eat before or after, but I'm not to worried either way. I think there are benefits to doing it both ways. I can tell you that walking after you eat straight away really helps it digest for me and keep me regular on my return. That in itself if very beneficial, that way I am ready to jump into the days events as soon as I get back and what was not expended then will be on my return.

At the moment I run before breakfast, however as my 10km runs become more frequent and I loose more weight, I'll be tending to fuel up the night before if I continue to do early morning runs. Given that "long runs" should be done on an empty stomach...OR I will be tending to eating some easily digestible foods such as banana and egg, and running approx 40 minutes after that OR 3 hours after a hearty meal.

If your walking to loose weight, so far I have found most articles referring to walking before you eat...with those working on performance to eat, wait 20-40 minutes then utilize the fuel from food during your walk. I think for optimal weight loss.........drink as soon as you rise...go for brisk walk...take water...eat when you get back and do a short walk or do something active to help with digestion. Just me 3 cents worth.

Time for chores...........have a good day all. :wink:
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:01 am

It’s one thing for me to be handing out advice, but am I following what I’m preaching?…mmm…How many of us can say that…waffle waffle waffle…Dave’s Reality check…because its good to have them!

I’ve hot my usual plateau at 80kg, however have done well thus far to keep clean and active. There has still been the usual tension in with relations and strains with finances and expectations of others, but it’s still all good. The Damn weather has really sucked, yet the rain was good…over all it’s been positive enough to find silver lining in every set back and or usual state of events. I have been able to get my wife up and walking for a few days now…that’s a big PLUS and hopefully we shall continue to take baby steps there! (The seed is planted!...lets see how I can cultivate that one!)

If not only to please my wife and ease her suffering…as well as mine LOL … I do need to do more in the house…Like I do all the laundry and clean the kitchen picking up after everyone…but still…I can feel that whip cracking once too often…I can’t stand the background noise of the telly, so have classical station…usually gets the house work done much quicker…might even have the bed fresher more often…Enough work is trickling through…a little more would not be bad I guess.

My latest revelation is getting up on my Hydration levels. I now take my camel pack on my 10K runs. Sipping water on the run has really helped my recovery times 10 fold!!! I am on a mission at the moment to log in 10km runs at the rate of 2 days on, 1 day off consecutively for two weeks running. If I am feeling ok after that…I do believe I will embark on a Marathon Training Schedule. I did try this once before with a Blog and all…BUT…I was not ready then and I came crashing down. I feel this time however my whole attitude to wellbeing for the long haul is ready for such a test. The whole process will be open to change as is my current activities. We shall see!

My weight routine has been changed to a full body workout every other day, as compared to designated muscle groups over a two day split with one off in-between. The focus is no off muscle mass, and more on circuit training with toning and basic strength training in mind. My focus will mainly be on the upcoming marathon training…NO RACE in mind…just me and my new challenges is all.

The thing is……….I’m still in my plateau area, however my records indicate that I am about to break out of this…in order to do so…I need to really focus on what is required…Number one…keep my wife and the house happy…number two…back off the weights…number 3 step up the cardio!!!

That’s it…I’ve beaten the food…YEA!!!!!!!!!!! &^%$ YEAAAAAAA!!!!!!!! Sorry…that was a quest I drilled like no other…I am so glad to of beaten that dragon…sure I may slip here and there…But just like when I gave up smoking…I never let set backs lead me into bigger wholes…instead they make me all the more stronger!!!.................SO……I can clearly see the differences in eating this or that food and when eating them, in as much as how they effect me on and off the scales. I am now setting new goals with getting into bed EARLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! To get the sleep my body needs in order to smash this plateau and get the ball rolling…….So with my new found rest and Hydrations levels…I’m going to make the next two weeks count…

I’ll be counting down from this coming Monday…if I can keep up the huge effort with my 10k morning runs and circuit training every other day for two weeks straight…I think I will be ready for Phase 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That’s my reality check over and done with… Time to clean this place up……..later guys
:wink:
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:35 am

Another Day Another affirmation!...I've decreased my goal weight from 77 to 75kg. Although the very misleading BMI factor, which does not account for my bone and muscle density :roll: has me still at "obese " at 75kg, I think this will be a very healthy weight for me. In fact I believe this will be verging on underweight for me. However given my goal to be a regular long distance runner I would be happy to maintain 75kg and would reduce any distance and or intensity that would have me under that weight. They say that BMI is just a ball park figure, however given the numbers it throws at me, I would have to say its way out! My family would be very worried if I was even hitting the beginnings of the so called normal BMI weight. Obviously it really feeds the compulsions of those that are never content...Hopefully I will be able to pull up at my goal weight. My wife already fears that this whole affair is becoming somewhat obsessive.

MMMMM......my thoughts on that. I enjoy having an online diary and given my natural ability for free expression and my enjoyment in doing so...it only seems normal, if not beneficial for me in doing so. The exercise I am doing is quite taxing, however having combined it with good eating and now the introduction of good hydration and sleeping patterns...everything else seems to be falling into place with no adverse effect........MMMMM.....nope......I think its open to abuse just as any of my hobbies are and I also think that sometimes one persons progress could be viewed as another's regress. At any rate, I certainly don't wish to highlight anothers inability through my own attempts and or successes...I guess I will have to tread lightly.

God news is I've hit under the 80kg mark and made it into the 70s!!!....BUT.....as like last time I went through this...I don't wish to list that weight until it's been at least a week under and heading in the right direction. I'm feeling much lighter and healthier and my rest days like this one, have me feeling quite vibrant!...

To summarize though....My wife does make a good point on finding contentment and actually maitaining goal wieght or ones healthy weight rather than continue in a direction based on pure compulsion only destine to failure. I'll be sure to keep that in check. None the less, my goals seem to working thus far. My reality checks, Routine, current Emotional & physical state have me feeling quite balance...no doubt a few strenuous check points ahead, but over all I don't mind giving myself a pat on the back!
Dave

Postby dragonfly » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:53 am

hi dave.
i would have to agree somewhat with the lisa about you becomming obsessive about it all, but she only, and perhaps close family/friends know best, and anyone else telling you to stop would be wrong. I mean you are doing this for yourself and no-one else is in your shoes, so they cant honestly know the whole situation. but yes, I have noticed your seemily 100% dedication to becomes pure and whole in every aspect. while this is great for you, and something you want to do, like anything in life be careful about making your life the be all end all, and converting the world to be the same as you. we all aprricciate your thoughts, and advice and they have helped me ( and others I am sure) over time, our end goals are different, also our genders, lifestyles and way of life. I dont want to be slamming you, dave, you have come along way, and I admire you for that, but we take a fork in the road, and head different directions.
while I am aim to make changes, and become more informed about choices I make, and eat well, exercise often and life a fuller happier life, I still want to live my life. and by living if that means i break my own rules occasionally, then so be it.
keep doing what you do dave, as it makes YOU happy. I will continue to do what makes me happy, and as we travel this road together, for now I am taking a slightly different path. you've always been honest, and now I owe it to you also to give honest thoughts. maybe I feel somewhat jelous of your dedication, perhaps one day I might get there myself. but for now I am just aiming to loose weight, get more out of my life, LIVE my life instead of taking a back seat and be in control of my own future. I dont want to be a marathon runner, a elle macpherson, just a mum who can enjoy her family, and the life shes been blessed with.
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:42 pm

I will most certainly keep being me and will do so at my usual 110%, however I will keep your perspective in mind with reference to the word "obsessive" when I venture into your piece of the universe. I'll knock em back to one liners from now on :lol:
Dave

Postby laughing_sheep » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:24 pm

Obese at 75kg, really? How tall are you?
~Steph~

Starting weight: 92
Current weight: 70
Goal weight: 66
laughing_sheep

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:27 pm

Seriously, I know this to be true! Thanks for your feedback Dragonfly. I do however need the use of such tools regardless of such well intended claims. I think perhaps a Blog may best serve me better...a place in which I can have more control. Its not been an easy task loosing my weight and as many know, to overcome those dreaded plateaus that do so many in ... it takes an insanely huge effort that requires something other than the regulated average approach. If it requires a dash of eccentricity with a touch of OCD ... then so be it!

To of transformed from the obese ill ridden, drug taking, alcoholic guzzling undesirable into the radical well being preacher that I am today...leaves no question in my mind to the consequences or comparisons to any rough corners that others may find unsettling in their passing by's. I'm not so overcome with an UN-battering determination that I can't think before I speak or at least later, minimize and clean the mess that sometime may be left in my wake! This is after all a weightloss forum with many a soap box in one corner or another...God knows I've come across more ridiculous claims than my banterings.

Developing a will, a desire to overcome so much BS that has been drummed into our heads as soon as we pop out into this &^%$ed up world, takes a HUGE effort...often most of us are simply too %$##ed up to do anything about it by the time we get the gist of what the truth really is...instead once things get too hard to do...we opt out for the spoon...and label all the rest with whatever...

Of course not that your saying that...more to the point, I see what others consider in me weather Obsessive or worse...Apathetic, who give a ^^%$#- unorganized et........as nothing more than my ability to overcome someone else s inability.

Perhaps my audience is all wrong for me...in as much as my capacity to see, rather than their perceptions of me? Right or wrong...but as you said...it all comes back to me and what I think. I think that perhaps as I reach whatever checkpoint my needs change from what they were before...I guess I'm in my final stages after a long haul, yet I will always continue to push as I do...I am currently searching for a new place to spread my wings and I am sure wherever that be...I will no doubt come across more obstacles only to remind me of just how unstable I can be.

I just finished up at my last rock having had the stone upturned..............I just need to find a title that best serves my Blog...then I'll be off to fly to my hearts content. I have so much more I wish to express other than loosing a few killos, as relevant as that may be.

Much food for thought...........many thanks to you Dragonfly.........it was hard for me at first to get the gist...but I know what your getting at and I also hope you can see that I wish you the same success as well as others around me too. Your Awesome!!!!!!!!!!
Last edited by Dave on Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Only just saw that one Steph.........Although I'm only 170cm........../5"/7................75kg would have me rather Trim indeed................I'm hitting just under 80 now and fairly buff at that :roll: LOL...I have like a cm and half of fat when I pinch around the side of my waist..........I think I want to keep some of that and if I loose another 5kg...............I think that will be about as much as I would ever want to go...but acording to BMI on my iphone app or even online...its still in the lower end of obese.............go figure..................I have not measured my wrists, however I can tell you BMI does not account for such things nor does your average doctor who also knows nothing about nutrition.........woops....getting obsessive again........ :lol: just kidding Dragonfly :wink:
Dave

Postby laughing_sheep » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:26 pm

Ahhhhh well according to the chart in my calorie counter, at 170cm 72kg is supposedly the highest weight you can be and be 'in a healthy weight range'. So at 75kg you will only be 3kg over which is actually in the overweight range, not the obese.
~Steph~

Starting weight: 92
Current weight: 70
Goal weight: 66
laughing_sheep

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:57 am

LOL... :lol: ... I'll settle for an overweight athlete any day! ... your just ribbing me...aren't you? :evil:

Why does the BMI guide often get it wrong?
It does not measure fat percentage, muscle or bone density. My weight lifting routine with current 10km runs and strict nutritional intake make your average BMI obsolete...in fact...the so called "Body Mass Index" does not account for much Body composition at all. I would very much hate to be anesthetized on such a measuring technique! Not sure if they do, but none the less...I'm looking more into fat percentages now. I'll put my efforts into stabilizing my routine for the long haul, however without reducing my current effort. I'll also work on my overall outlook.

An online Blog to the finer details of overcoming adversity and embracing our shackles in on the horizon! Learning to suffer in order to Live Long, Healthy and Content lives!

The Best scale of all...........is how your feeling!
I'm sorry if it makes others feel a little green............But I'm feeling rather Content! I'm feeling peaceful and hopeful. I've worked hard! I' acknowledge or do my best to do so of what others think of me, how I can change my plans to avoid conflict...and of late, it seems to be working well in this household. Best of luck to you all in your quest...may you not over extend yourself and find the space you require in order to spread your wings and keep smiling when doing so.

Time to get things done!
Later.
Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:18 pm

MY PROGRESS:
Dave

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:00 pm

Well I think that pretty much sums it up for my progress. I've always said it's about looking deep within and taking a good hard honest look at yourself. I'm pretty comfortable with the results and have enjoyed sharing the good and the bad throughout this whole affair. My posts back in 2007 clearly depict my early struggles coming to grips with the world around me, mostly myself! You'll find a lot more anger and fear in my original "personal progress" thread back then. I was quite ill at the time and ended up in hospital a few times...almost died at one stage..................suffice to say..........giving up all the bad habits, step by step and adopting a few approaches outside this forum listed in my food diary has been very instrumental to my new found stability. The differences between my first personal progress and now this food diary thread speak for themselves.

Thanks heaps for your support guys..........I'm looking towards my own blog over at:
http://www.coolrunning.com.au/forums/in ... logid=486&

It's a running forum and having a little area for my own Blog will serve its purpose for me to sift through and draw power to fuel more of my many passions. I'll consider it a draft for bigger things to come. It's been great having a place online to let things out. I wish you all the best in your endeavors and once again...many thanks to you all. :)
Dave

Previous

Return to Daily Food Diary