It is currently Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:22 pm

Free Newsletter

dragonfly's food :)

Share and keep track of what you eat each day to help you lose weight.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: dragonfly's food :)

Postby Dave » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:07 pm

15kgsThat's AWESOME......well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
See...all that effort does pay. Sorry I have not been in as often as I would like. you really are doing well & your outlook on this whole thing really shows just how much wisdom you have. You seem to cope very well all round...the way you deal with the little pitfalls and so forth...I'm glad to of come across this diary...that's for sure. Keep those guns blazing dragonfly :wink:
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby laughing_sheep » Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:54 am

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. I also had my gallbladder removed when I was 16 after I lost alot of weight quite rapidly. I notice that if I eat fatty foods I feel quite bloated and extra tired the next day. I think because its a bit of a strain on the liver to have to produce bile 'on-the-spot' so to speak because it doesn't have a gallbladder to draw stores of bile from. So that's a good advantage as well- having a low-fat diet.

Smoothies are a fantastic weight loss tool, as are soups. With summer coming up I'm going to try having vegetable soup chilled as well as keeping up my smoothie intake. I love the Boost juice ones but they are pricey. I will have to learn how to make my own like you. :D
~Steph~

Starting weight: 92
Current weight: 70
Goal weight: 66
laughing_sheep

Postby dragonfly » Fri Nov 05, 2010 6:51 pm

5-11-2010

today is shocking LOL
food:
strawberry diet yogurt
3/4 bag of lollies
more yogurt, blueberry this time lol
7-8rice cakes
pepsi max
roobioos tea

and dinner will be salmon and salad.

but yesterday was worse!!!!! lol
i ate 1/2 bag marshmellows and then 4 timtams.
i had a chicken breast crumbed, the bag said 16grams of fat, which isnt tooooooo bad, but its processed censored, so well.... need i say much more.
I made a veggie fried rice, the only frying was a tablespoon of sesame oil, which over 8 serves doesnt amount to much. soy sauce and chilli sauce and spices. so low fat basicly.
I had 2 boiled eggs on 2 pieces of rye bread for breakfast, and then busy all day. I baked and cooked and cleaned etc, and all i could really think about eating, was a shake actually. I had some yogurt, shake and apple and was full up. then ignored hunger pains until dinner, as they hit around 4pm. I am starting to dislike the shakes a bit now. they do lead to starvation and binging I think. to totally skip a meal in palce of a shake, doesnt work, not for me.
I can have one at say 7:30am in a rush to get out the door, but as long as I have an apple at 8:30, and some crackers at 10am, and a good lunch, then the shakes fit into my life. but having one for lunch, just leads to cravings and empty stomach.

I am a little off sorts today (and yesterday) and I dont know why. the cravings have come back, and I am fighting demons in my head today. The bag of lollies was on my utmost thoughts for most of the day, and even after eating them til i felt sick, i dont feel satisfied. the anticipation the wanting, the needing of these lollies, and then I gave in, and its like a HUGE let down. like they were the be all end all of my life, I had to ahev them, and now, bleh. nothing. nothing fantastic happened when i ate them.

i guess one little reason for the downfall, I am skipping grocery shopping this week, in an effort to save some $$.
ok doesnt make sense LOL, but I live on a farm in woop woop, and we have 2 fridges (with freezers) and another deep freezer. I could live off these and the pantry and the cattle in the paddocks for a year.... maybe LOL ha ha. so there is no lack of food. its more the lack of food I WANT.
I actually have been to the fridge and freezer and pantry 10 times today looking for something., there is chocolate, and lollies, and apples and yogurt, and NOTHING i want. what I really really want right now, is a multigrain roll, with chicken and avacado. or a smoothie with some exotic fruit. not apples. not bananas.
some rice cakes are kinda working for me. and a pepsi max.
I am trying to put food to the back of my mind, and just hang out until dinner time, have a salad and salmon, and then hope and pray for a better day tommorow.

so onto exercise. there hasnt been any of that either. I am taking a break for a few days, to let my foot heal. everytime its nearly ok, I go wlaking, then end up having to limp everywhere as my food aches again. I am just hoping for a full recovery, then can begin exercise again. this sadly has let my body and mind slip back into old habbits.
I feel tired, lethargic and rather down. I guss this is why my mind reached out for the lollies, hoping for a quick sugar fix, and a quick boost of energy.

so what I have learnt, is the mind is powerful. and the mind can control so manyt things, and stoopid as it seems, i need to control my mind. control over the demons and do what I know my body reacts well to, and thats exercise and lovely fresh foods.
to stop listening to the bad things, as I know these, as much as i am craving them, will just make me feel worse. it wont stop the craving, it wont make me feel good, beautiful, wonderful etc. its the good food that will make me feel good.

and for any readers, if you wonder what I look like... HA HA
heres me this morning with my 3 youngest.

til next post,
byeee lol
karin
mum of 5
loosing by eating low fat, natural, organic and fresh

heaviest weight: 189kg
goal weight: 89kg
currently: 143.5kg
TOTAL LOST: 45.5kg
dragonfly

Postby laughing_sheep » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:53 am

Cravings are a really horrible part of trying to lose weight, aren't they? I think the trick is to have a little bit of what you fancy. Also buying smaller portions of things is something that really helps me. I use to buy whole blocks of 'family sized' cadbury chocolate and eat the lot, now I just buy a bar like a Snickers and enjoy it just as much. If walking is hard you might be able to get a low impact aerobics dvd off ebay cheaply, I know that exercise really has helped me to lose weight in the past. I went from 102 kilos to 82 kilos (from 2005 to 2008) just by doing lots of walking each day. But of course if your foot is hurting you, you must rest it.
~Steph~

laughing_sheep

Postby Dave » Sun Nov 07, 2010 11:01 am

Hi Dragonfly, NICE Pic…thanks for sharing. Sorry to hear about your struggles, however overcoming then can only serve to make you stronger…regardless of your recent loss to the bag of lollies…great commentary…I can “SO” identified with the way you described that. Often when I give in like that…I to go guns blazing on whatever it is that I’m hooking into, only to find the same result…Nothing in return except feeling sick and depressed thereafter.
It’s good that you have shared this like so…my recent episodes have only served to make me stronger…EASE up on the foot…what is wrong with it exactly??? Just stick to eating healthily & remove all the temptations. I’m not sure what your plan is with the kids, however if your saying to yourself that the kids should have sweets because of “this or that”…forget it…Kids don’t need all that sweet crap either…change their consumption slowly as you have done for yourself but keep in mind they’ll probably need either more of the Natural sweeteners and or dairy to accommodate for their needs…but having sweets around just because you got kids is only going to make your life harder as well as theirs…BUT…you probably don’t feed you kids like that…so I just wasted my time talking about it.
Hang in there…recover the foot & learn from falling out of the wagon…happens to the best of us…just make sure you get back in and remember all the hard work you have put in so far.
Good Post.
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
Dave

Postby dragonfly » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:54 pm

8-11-2010

gave into pressure and went shopping lol. our local supermarket (local is still 1 hour drive away lol) has started to branch out with organic beef and a gourmet beef mince with very very little fat. I even found lean sausages, with about 5-6grams of fat in one sausage, which seeing its my birthday on sundee, and we'll be bbq'ing with friends, I might have one in a slice of fresh white bread :) ahhh to be a kid again :)

what you were saying dave, about the kids, i made a watermelon, strawberry and ice smoothie when they got home from school, its was a warm one today 38C, so it went down well, even tho I did get a screwed up nose by miss 3y.o lol
i also bought some roasted hazelnuts, and omg yummy. but yes, slow changes, step by step and get them eating better.
having had the twins, food and cooking for a while was 2nd place, and just quick easy food. alot of packet stuff. altho we never lowered ourselves to the instant mash potatos LOL THAT i cant understand. boil potato, and mash. easy. fast. why it needs to be in a packet who only knows LOL.

food:
apple
pineapple
canteloupe
honeymelon
watermelon
strawberry
papaya
yogurt
heartsmart milk 99% fat free
seaweed crackers 50gms
weight watchers icecream
home made multigrain bun
homemade chips
homemade beef burger pattie
1 leaf of lettuce
pepsi max
vanilla and rose tea (YUCK)
hazel nuts, cashews, walnuts, maccadamias

well... um.... fruit lol. alot of it ha ha
so the other day I decided to make some rolls, and they turned out fantastic. I froze them, so i can pull them out one by one whenever i am ready for them, like tonight.
the beef burgers had an egg, and fresh parsley, and a red onion. cooked on BBQ, no fat used. rolled them into balls and flatened them.
i cooked potatos on baking paper in the oven, no fat used.
compared to macdonalds..... well there is no comparison, lol, about 95% less fat, and rubbish :) very satisfying, and yummy.
so the fruit, well i get bored driving, and i like to eat. so I had bought a fruit platter and munched on that on the way home.
I had the watermelon smoothie as well at around 3pm, and then 5pm had the papaya smoothie, and 7pm the burger. I prefer not to eat that late, but with hubbys work, he doesnt get home til late.

my scales havent moved this week. i hate how that hurts.

the foot, i must have pulled a muscle, I guess? about 4 weeks ago. it just wont heal. saw a doc, who gave me bull$hit about all my problems would go away if i just lost weight. that hurt too. I knwo I am fat, I didnt wake up this morning in this fat body and go OMG how did that happen. and it hurts that I am trying to fix it. and the one thing to fix it, is walking, which I cannot do. bleh.

but I am also amazed each day, how a body can heal itself. I guess some things wont heal, but alot does. My skin is so much clearer, and smoother, and not so dull.
my friends ask what I put on my face/skin to make it look so good. its not what I put on it, its more so, what I DONT put on it. looking good on the outside comes from what goes into your mouth, as well as not using harsh chemicals on your skin. I take a daily vitamin and olive leaf extract, and the omega fishy tablets. I totally notice a difference when not takign them. even tho i believe I eat better, my body is a long way to full recovery, and needs a little help along the way.
karin
mum of 5

dragonfly

Postby laughing_sheep » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:54 am

The homemade beef burgers sound so yum! I was thinking about doing the exact same thing, making homemade beef burgers but I have missed out on doing the grocery shop this week as the car is stuffed and needs to get fixed lol. And I was also thinking that my skin is looking alot better too. I definetly think that what you eat has a huge impact on your skin. Saturated fat and sugar can make it look terrible and I'm eating alot less of that too.

Ever since I learned that the casings of sausages are pigs intestines (and that the casings of hot dogs are sheeps instestines which have been coloured) I've never been able to eat sausage again. I have however tried some chevapchipi which are skinless sausages.

Hope you have a wonderful birthday this sunday though. In regards to your weight not moving, maybe you have lost some but you are retaining fluid because its 'that time of the month'? Just a thought...
~Steph~

laughing_sheep

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:49 am

That doctor sucks Dragon fly...obviously did not put it the right way...some doctors just see too many people to quickly and become quite full of themselves. They do more damage when carrying on like that. I did want to say something about the Pepsi Max...LOL...but in a good way...I tried very hard not to offend and in fact came up with a good post that helped me to take a good look at where I am at myself...you'll find in in my thread in your own time. It's not for me to be giving advice like some pro, yet some of the pros that give it...are simply terrible at doing so :roll:

All in all...I have to commend you, as to me...you are one of the most courageous people in this forum. Your approach as been nothing but HONEST & that alone is highly admirable. you are also very wise in the methods you have adopted in order to take control over your families Healthy Lifestyle. As for that point at which we seemingly get stuck...I have not long just dislodged myself from such a pothole...thanks to you...I wrote about that as well. Your efforts to educate yourself are really coming through and inspire me to do so as well...however I find another side of you that also seems to be shinning though and something no doubt resultant of your determination and approach.

Your doing well...have you been using a compression bandage...trying different wrapping methods and pressures? An injury can be quite a setback to your gaols and bring about mixed feelings...keep us updated to the progress with regards to these aspects...lack of mobility will require more discipline with regard to consumption and keeping a positive outlook...it can also be viewed as a time to exercise your discipline giving you a stronger resolve as your body does repair and you take to your goals with new vigor and a good foot ready to go :D
Dave

Postby laughing_sheep » Tue Nov 09, 2010 1:24 pm

In regards to Pepsi Max...yes I've heard that artifical sweeteners are toxic to the liver and as the liver processes fat they should be avoided. But I'm a diet cola junkie...:(
~Steph~

laughing_sheep

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:15 pm

Hi laughing sheep,
it's all good...I really do waffle on sometimes and totally respect everyone's choice with the way they deal with things. I can see your a very motivational person and I felt the urge to say hi earlier, however had reservations due to my current Hard Core Ways...none the less "HI"...if I could just add something about the Liver as well:
Its plays a vital role in helping to keep our skin healthy as well...and I know how important that can be for those wanting to keep that youthful look :wink: The Liver and Gall Bladder Removal has been a big topic for me...due to the latter. I kind of have no choice since the opp...contrary to popular belief, that the completion of such an operation gives the green sign to eating whatever...I find quite the contrary...my liver now has to do more work and the secretion that follows from eating the wrong foods can also play havoc...best to look after the Liver as much as possible...however I am sure a smart cookie like yourself detoxes quite a bit ...waffling again...my apologies :wink: .
Dave

Postby dragonfly » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:09 pm

So many people I know have that green light attitude to eating food after a gallbladder removal. they have to avoid KFC, and fish and chips.... but just live on as normal.
last night at my weightloss group, a member cooked us tuna patties. I always have a mild anxiety attack over what other people cook, and how much oil they used. It was ok, they used olive oil to lightly fry them, but my body handled it ok. I guess it is a balance to the rest of the things I ate that day, and if THAT was the only added oil/fat, then the liver can handle it fine. had i eaten other fatty foods, it would have been a disaster i guess.
I lost 400grams last week. even with the no exercise and bad food choices, a loss still.
yes I know I must stop relying so heavily on the scales, but like everything its baby steps. I used to weigh-in every day, but theres now days i dont weigh in, so its got to be better right lol? and i dont let the scales or rather the number dictate how I will feel for the day either. the number is the number, and whatever it says, i know in my heart I am heading down the right path, and towards to end goal or being a better healthier, fitter person.
I have also been thinking about what to drink. i do drink water, thats fine, i drink enough water to hydrate myself. some days more, some less, depending on what I am doing. our water is mostly rainwater, but with the drought, we have had to use water from the pipeline, or city water LOL. it still goes thru our filters, but i do notice a difference in my skin, hair and the taste.
but besides that, what to drink when i am relaxing at the end of the day, and to replace the pepsi max :lol: (yes dave lol)
I am loving the apple and aloe green tea so i am brewing up some, which i will cool, and add to a BIG glass of ice, and try it chilled. has a natural sweetness, without having sugar, and also no fake sweeteners as well. this is ok for being at home, but still struggling with the out and about drinking.
I set myself some mini goals for 6 weeks, and havent reached the weightloss one for this week, so I am going hell for leather this week, and i am goign to make it happen.
I walked for 1 hour today, and my foot..... it seems a week or so off has helped it imensley and its ready to rock and roll again :) yay!
oh how i miss the walking, i feel so ALIVE again now :) tired, but more aware, like less foggy LOL.
I am going to make one of my goals to be the cutting down and then pretty much eliminating those diet drinks and poisons LOL

yesterdays food:
nut assortment
diet coke
low card solo
yogurt
seaweed crackers
multigrain roll, ham and avacado
punnet strawberrys
apple
yogurt
3tuna cakes, made with kumera, onion, breadcrumbs, parsley and fried in olive oil
garden salad
skiny cow icecream

today:
60min walk
1 litre water
smoothie... pineapple, rockmelon, strawberry, blueberry, milk and yogurt

thats it lol
karin
mum of 5

dragonfly

Postby dragonfly » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:11 pm

oh and steph, that *time* of the month is coming in about a week, and the pre-week for me is just torture LOL
I am going to stay strong, and I am going to hit the mini goal I set myself :)
karin
mum of 5

dragonfly

Postby Dave » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:09 pm

I know I know...Dave and the pepsi Max thing :roll:
Hey guess who has his first injury on his latest band wagon...your truly. Stretched Groin is all I am hoping...I'd hate for it to be a mild hernia; although for middle aged men that push themselves to hard, it's not uncommon. I can still walk...so thank small mercies for that! Time to take on my own adivce :oops:
Be careful about the foot thing still...happy it's getting better...I may have to do the same as you did...ease up...was looking for some time off actually...as I've been going hell for leather myself for quite a few months now...mmmmmm...
Dave

Postby dragonfly » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:26 am

10-11-10

no pepsi max today, lol

I am orgasmically satisfied with my dinner I cooked tonight lol
a splash of soy sauce, lime and chilli, prawns, flat noodles and snow peas and red capsicum, stir fried, with NO OIL, just a splash of water occasionally to keep it from sticking to the pan.
OMG, so so so yummy, I could eat it everyday!!!
I think it would total 500-600 calories, perhaps...... but you see i dont count calories and I LOVE it!!!
I eat to feel happy and satisfied.
I tried the iced tea..... hmmm.... still growing on me! so I had 3 cups of tea, 2 green, and one roobioo's to go with my dinner.

anyone curious on the roobioo's tea... google it, its not only a nice tasting tea, I stumbled on it by acident, at the supermarket, but its not got the caffiene in it, and helps digestion, and alo high in anti-oxidents.

I ate cous cous for lunch, so all in all a very satisfying food day for me :)

but alas the foot, it begins the pain again later in the day.
I will have to look into strapping, or something.
karin
mum of 5

dragonfly

Postby laughing_sheep » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:37 am

Dave wrote:Hi laughing sheep,
it's all good...I really do waffle on sometimes and totally respect everyone's choice with the way they deal with things. I can see your a very motivational person and I felt the urge to say hi earlier, however had reservations due to my current Hard Core Ways...none the less "HI"...if I could just add something about the Liver as well:
Its plays a vital role in helping to keep our skin healthy as well...and I know how important that can be for those wanting to keep that youthful look :wink: The Liver and Gall Bladder Removal has been a big topic for me...due to the latter. I kind of have no choice since the opp...contrary to popular belief, that the completion of such an operation gives the green sign to eating whatever...I find quite the contrary...my liver now has to do more work and the secretion that follows from eating the wrong foods can also play havoc...best to look after the Liver as much as possible...however I am sure a smart cookie like yourself detoxes quite a bit ...waffling again...my apologies :wink: .

Hi Dave! :D

I'm sorry you had some reservations, I wanted to say hi to you too! lol. Its funny how all three of us have had our gallbladders removed- you, me and dragonfly! I know the dangers of artificial sweeteners yet I am being stupid and not caring. But from today I'm going to make a concerted effort to give them up. In part I think I'm so tired all the time because my poor liver is under strain trying to process the artificial sweeteners from the diet coke, pepsi max, diet energy drinks, diet fruit drinks, sugar-free gum and diet jelly that I force through myself! I'm still looking for some emotional release from consuming food and I'm trying to substitute with sweet beverages etc.

I guess I'm really in denial about how bad artificial sweeteners truly are :(

Something a bit strange: on monday night I did some market research, and they were targeting people who consumed diet beverages (not saying which company etc because I signed a confidentiality agreement!). But anyways...I saw some of the other people there, and they all ranged from overweight to actually quite obese!!!!!

This is after I've read that artificial sweeteners actually make people fatter because they increase insulin production, make our bodies crave real sweets, encourage fat storage and make our livers sluggish.

Maybe the universe is conspiring to get me healthy. I don't mind...yesterday I had three diet drinks and two pieces of sugar free gum. Today I make the commitment to not buy or consume any diet beverage.
~Steph~

laughing_sheep

PreviousNext

Return to Daily Food Diary