It is currently Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:18 am

Free Newsletter

Tyger's Daily Plate

Share and keep track of what you eat each day to help you lose weight.

Moderator: Moderators

Tyger's Daily Plate

Postby Tyger » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:18 pm

Well, it's time to jump on the bandwagon properly and post a food diary! :mrgreen:

I'm under no illusion that I'll post every single day, but regardless I will be keeping my calories carefully monitored on MyPlate (which allows you to export to excel for easy cut/pasting into here!). I'll also be taking into account my daily exercise to calculate net calories each day.

My goal each day is 1500 calories or lower. I never have a problem with going too low :roll:

Your comments along the way are much welcomed and appreciated, I adore food, and I'm always looking out for new tricks and ways to cut my calories whilst eating healthily and heartily :)

So here goes!
Tyger

Re: Tyger's Daily Plate

Postby Tyger » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:52 pm

Note: I usually over-estimate my meal calorie count, unless the packet specifies, just to be sure. I don't want to be sabotaged by hidden calories! I tend to do the same for exercise, and underestimate calories burnt just in case. So if you find the calorie count to be a bit strange, do let me know! But that is probably the underlying reason 8)

Today is a higher calorie day! Because I have martial arts training tonight which usually burns a minimum of 300 calories over the 1.5 hour session. So I allow myself the bit extra to keep my energy up :)

Breakfast: 1/3 a cup of Kellogg's Just Right Original with a spash of low-fat milk (160), and a medium sized banana (105)

Morning snack: small can of Coles Baked Beans (181) and a cup of green tea (2). I love green tea.

Lunch: Maggi Super Noodles Beef (98% Fat Free) (265), and a carrot (30) cut up and eaten with Coles Lite Spicy Capsicum Dip (16). Yum!

Afternoon snack: SPC Peach and Pear cup (58)

The rest is speculation because I haven't had this yet, but this is the plan...

Dinner: Home-made beef burrito's, which contain 2x Coles Burrito Tortillas (268), 125g of Lean Beef Mince (205), Onions (32), Mushrooms (8), 1/4 of an avocado (80), Cucumber (8), Iceberg Lettuce (6), little bit of tomato (4), Old El Paso Mild Salsa (5), small serve of Coles Shredded Tasty Cheddar Cheese (102). They are awesome. My partner has them with loads of sour cream. I will NOT do the same, lol.

Evening snack: Small orange (50)

Totals:
Calories Consumed: 1,570
Calories Burned: 267
Net Calories: 1303

Net calories are under 1,500, so I'm happy with today :) After dinner I might treat myself to a diet dessert (80 cals) or a yogurt. I love little low-cal treats, I really look forward to them :P

I shall train hard tonight!

~Tyger.
Tyger

Postby Dave » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:45 pm

I wish you the best of luck!
What kind of exercise you doing?
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
.................. Image...............
Dave

Postby Tyger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:20 am

Hi Dave :) I do karate and Kung Fu. I am a karate instructor, but haven't taught for over a year due to starting a full-time job. Now I just train in one sparring class a week, and I have just started Kung Fu with my partner, 2 nights a week. I'm still trying to work out how many calories I burn in a class. Classes are 1.5 hours long. However, my heart-rate is not up the whole time or anything.

I also cycle on weekends, usually just like a 20km ride on average. I try to go for walks most days at work, but I don't like to get too sweaty when I'm at work so I just walk for like 30 mins at an average pace. It's more to get out and about really, away from the desk, rather than to burn calories.

So I weighed myself this morning and I was 500gms heavier than yesterday morning. 78.9kg yesterday and 79.4kg today. Even though I ate within my calorie goal yesterday. Frustrating! I'm hoping it's just general fluctuations, and trying not to get down about it. I hate when I get that feeling like I'm not actually achieving anything or going anywhere, in the scope of things :|
Tyger

Postby Tyger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:33 pm

I always slip up over the weekends, so the pressure is on as it approaches. We eat out a lot on weekends and I love to have my desserts and things. Even if I avoid desserts, I can never really tell the calorie count of meals at restaurants. They can range so vastly. Well, all I can do is take it one day at a time, and remember this is all in my control!

So here's today's intake.

Breakfast: One slice of Coles Multigrain Bread (the panel claims that 2 slices = 140 calories, but I'm dubious, so I'm saying 98 calories for one slice to be really safe) with Vegemite (8), and a cup of Green Tea (2)

Morning snack: A carrot (30) cut up, with spicy capsicum dip (Coles Lite) (16). Then I had a slight mishap and scoffed 2 lolly snakes (66). Oops. I'm just glad I didn't scoff more than that... it was so hard to walk away from the jar.

Lunch: Coles Minestrone Soup (164) and a SPC Two Fruits tub (58)

The rest hasn't happened yet but here is the plan (I'm pretty good at sticking to my plan).

Afternoon snack: Continental Creamy Chicken And Corn Cup A Soup, (142) and one kiwi fruit (46)

Dinner:: Home-made beef burrito's: 2x Coles Burrito Tortillas (268), 125g of Lean Beef Mince (205), Onions (32), Mushrooms (8), 1/4 of an avocado (80), Cucumber (8), Iceberg Lettuce (6), little bit of tomato (4), Old El Paso Mild Salsa (5), small serve of Coles Shredded Tasty Cheddar Cheese (102). Total for this meal is about 710 calories, which is again an over-estimation to be safe.

Today I also went on a 35 minute power walk at lunchtime = about 162 calories burnt.

Totals:
Calories Consumed: 1,344
Calories Burned: 162
Net Calories: 1182

This won't be my final count though. I am going out tonight after dinner to catch up with a friend - I am planning to just get a side of beans (they cook them in butter though) and some water to tie me over. I won't be hungry after dinner, but it's hard to sit at a cafe and not eat anything while my friend eats dinner, it's almost rude!! Or I might get a hot chocolate but that's a lot of calories. Plus I usually have a piece of fruit (an orange) before bed, or a low-cal Nestle dessert. So I'll update this again tomorrow... goal is to try not to eat more than 300 cal on top of what I've listed here so far!
Tyger

Postby Tyger » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:35 pm

I slipped a bit tonight and shared a bowl of hot chips with tomato sauce at the cafe with my friend. Damn. I ate half the bowl which I think was about a cup, but it could've been more :oops: I'm a bit disappointed. I'm freaking out that I won't be able to lose 1 kg this week as I'd hoped.

I didn't have as many snacks in the day as I thought I would though. Here's revisions for earlier.

Afternoon snack: One kiwi fruit (46) and one granny smith apple (80).

Then for after dinner snack at the cafe with my friend: Half a bowl of chips (340), tomato sauce (15), and half a serve of butter and garlic green beans (44).

My total calories today was 1635. Subtracting my calories burnt for walking, that's about 1473 which is not bad I guess, considering I think I underestimated the walking calories. However I feel bloated right now and annoyed cos of the chips. How I love hot chips though. Oh well, tomorrow is another day I suppose.
Tyger

Postby Butterfly_Dawn » Sat Nov 27, 2010 9:22 am

Stop freaking out, slip ups are normal, and really, it was half a bowl of chips. So get back on the wagon today and you might be surprised. Maybe make a plan for how you might handle that type of situation in future. I tend to use chewing gum. In fact I'm off to a baby shower today and there's inevitably going to be naughties there, so I'm taking the chewie with me to pop in my mouth to prevent me being too fiendishly indulgent. :wink:
35kg lost. (November 2005 - October 2006)
15kg gained again (as at October 2010).
Back to the drawing board - Let's do this thing!

"You can't change the winds, but you can change the sails"

"Reach out and take control of what lands in your lap"

Butterfly_Dawn

Postby Tyger » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:24 pm

Thanks Butterfly. I guess I'm a little strict on myself sometimes... I just really want to do this right. But I need to realise little slips are normal and even needed sometimes. Great suggestion - next time I'll get into the sugar-free gum or perhaps just have a Coke Zero and stick to the green sides.

No exercise, not even a walk worth noting today (did walk around the shops though), so extra pressure to keep the calories low.

Today's intake:

breakfast: 1x slice Coles Multigrain Bread (98.7), half a banana (52.5) and a cup of green tea (2)

morning snack: Sushi Sushi Teriyaki Chicken Hand Roll (173)

lunch: Subway Turkey Breast Wrap (270) with 1/4 Avocado (72.5)
2x fresh strawberries (14)

afternoon snack: 2x Coles Ultimate Choc Chip Cookies (164) and later a Bulla 99% Fat Free Frozen Yogurt (158)

dinner: Big Bowl Dumpling Noodle Soup (aka. Wonton Soup) (420)

evening snack: Coke Zero (1)

Totals:
Calories Consumed: 1,426
Calories Burned: 0
Net Calories: 1426

Considering the lack of exercise today (it was pouring rain all day, it just didn't let up!) I'm pretty happy with the net cals. The night isn't out yet but I'll stick to a bit of Coke Zero and water, and have an orange later if I'm desperate. I realised from averaging out a few sites, that I should really be keeping my net calories daily to somewhere closer to 1200 instead of 1500 to lose 1kg a week... 1500 is more like .5kg a week. But I'm hoping I'll still lose 2 more kilo's by my holiday in 3.5 weeks time.
Tyger

Postby Tyger » Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:30 pm

OH, and if anybody can help me out with the calorie reading for my dinner- I had egg noodle soup, probably around 2 cups worth with about 5 soup wontons, and some bok choy. The description written above I found in the site I use, but I don't know if that count is accurate... it initially said 380 but I estimated 420, it seemed like quite a lot!

I tried to pick the lowest calorie dinner on the menu. Other dinners were full of fried stuff or curries which are jam packed with calories. Anyone got any other suggestions for low-cal meals at Chinese restaurants/foodcourt stalls?
Tyger

Postby Tyger » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:20 pm

Yesterday's (Sunday) intake:

Breakfast: Cup of Green Tea (2) Half a Banana (52)

Lunch: Scrambled Eggs with Ham (463) *this was out at a cafe, I'm hoping my estimation is correct. There was half a slice of Turkish bread with it too*

Dinner: Chinese Beef With Oyster Sauce (238) with a cup of Steamed White Rice (180), and 6x Pork Dumplings (steamed) (498)

Evening snack: Small Orange (50) and a few handfuls of Popcorn (90)

Exercise today: Short boxing session in the morning.

Totals
Calories Consumed 1,573
Calories Burned 158
Net Calories 1415
Tyger

Postby Dave » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:01 pm

Karate & Kungfu...Now that’s got to burn some calories! From your description you sound like your well grounded with respect to physical fitness. Don’t worry too much about those numbers fluctuating of the scales. Easier said than done, I KNOW. That’s why I am just using a mirror this time round. First it was just the comments that kept me going, then i could easily see my big gut start to slowly disappear...I think if I was using the scales now, I’d also see my weight fluctuated, but only because of all the muscle development as the fat gives way:
How long have you been working on your current weight loss plan and how far have you come...if you don’t mind me asking that is?
I uncharacteristically ate quite a bit today myself. However I am pleased to say it was all good food. I chose to up the anty on my protein levels.
YES the weekends are typically hard for many of us Tyger...I can totally Identify on that score. I don’t mean to preach on additives, but not only are you unaware of the calorie count with restaurants, but the additives prior to whatever the establishment reckons is does not put in, is often delivered with little nasties such as MSG, which play all kinds of havoc on the bodies insulin levels.
Perhaps working on your environmental factors by planning ahead might better prepare you for the weekends............Can I suggest a really amazing treat...probably best served around lunch time. A cold Press Juicer is required...but think of all the vitalizing energy filled juices you could make...Basically you just throw Bananas...skin and all...in the freezer...all you do then is pull them out later (I usually just use one) boil some water and tip it over the frozen banana in a flat dish...wait like 5 seconds then peel...simply cold press and wella... 100% banana ice cream. You could add like two strawberries or something. I am now just experimenting with frozen mangos...but that’s another story...................................
You sound pretty fit.......a few treats timed well like that would do you well :wink:
OK...I shut up now & go rave in my thread.
"Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action"
Dave

Postby Tyger » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:48 pm

Hi Dave!

Dave wrote:Karate & Kungfu...Now that’s got to burn some calories! From your description you sound like your well grounded with respect to physical fitness. Don’t worry too much about those numbers fluctuating of the scales. Easier said than done, I KNOW.

Yeah, I love my martial arts. Been doing it for about 12 years now. I'd like to hope it burns lots of calories! But depending on what we are working on, it's not ALWAYS high-intensity cardio. Often when we are working on something technical we are more or less standing in one spot only moving our arms. What exercise routines do you do? I also love yoga but it's expensive. I cycle when the weather is good, but mostly flat cycling, nothing cross-country!

How long have you been working on your current weight loss plan and how far have you come...if you don’t mind me asking that is?

I started making a REAL concerted effort to count calories mid-November, so only about 2 and a half weeks ago. In that time, I've lost 2 kg. I don't look hugely overweight and I hold my weight well so it takes a long time to come off. I expect it'll be more like a 0.5kg weightloss a week from now on. I was 81kg, now I'm about 78.7kg. My goal is 1400 net calories weekly. I eat back calories expended on days I exercise. I find it too hard to restrict myself too much. I want to have a life too! :mrgreen: What is your weight-loss plan and progress?

Perhaps working on your environmental factors by planning ahead might better prepare you for the weekends.

This is great advice. I am learning that preparation is key. For example, I have an engagement party this Saturday... I know I will be drinking (I hardly ever drink, probably once every 2 months, so when I do, I plan to enjoy it!). I have researched lowest calorie drinks. Looks like a small amount of vodka with Sprite Zero is the thing to sip on, and maybe sparkling wine or champagne. No beer or non-diet soda! I'm also going to eat lots of fruit and veg beforehand so I don't snack too much at the party, and try to do an extra exercise session Friday evening to even out the calorie average a bit.

That banana ice-cream sounds like heaven. Mental note to pick up some bananas this week.

K...I shut up now & go rave in my thread.

Haha, oh you can rave here whenever you like! It's too quiet for my liking :twisted: Maybe I'll come rave up your thread soon 8)
Tyger

Postby Tyger » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:14 pm

Haven't checked in for a bit, so here's the quick catchup. (I figured captures of my excel exports were easiest for this :D).

Monday and Tuesday were similar days. Here's Tuesday's.

untitled1.JPG
untitled1.JPG (36.49 KiB) Viewed 4394 times

Calories Consumed 1,373.50
Calories Burned 261
Net Calories 1112.5

Really low-calorie day for me. Happy with this one. I adore cooking fish lately. And Forme yoghurts are OH so good. Had a karate class this night, but did a bit less than usual cos I had a bad headache.

Yesterday:

untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (44.49 KiB) Viewed 4394 times

Calories Consumed 1,535
Calories Burned 181
Net Calories 1354

Pretty happy with yesterday. Those gourmet sandwiches were in the work fridge, left over from a conference. Couldn't resist. Probably should have but oh well. Home-made stroganoff is a favourite. I don't put too much sour cream in, and it's still delicious. And not too many calories per serve (not like in restaurants).

Will update today's intake tomorrow, after it's all said and done. I had a piece of chocolate cake for a co-worker's birthday just before... :roll:
Tyger

Postby Dave » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:54 pm

Love the screen shots! So much easier to read and see the overall picture in one go.
My goals...mmmm....I guess i’ve been preaching a bit in my thread about turning all my weight loss endeavours into a process that that just comes naturally. Bit like giving up Bad habits for good. Not having to think about what I am going to eat or when because I’ve been living it for so long and that it’s just become a part of me. I’m into meditation and self healing. At this point I am fairly hard core on my food choices. This is partly because of my wife’s efforts to take control of her recently diagnosed MS. I’ve been juicing vegetables for a while (not all the time) and we also make a LOT of our own food.

Exercise...I love exercising...been doing it ever since I popped out...I just need to work on balance is all. I Hike, Run, Walk, Ride, Camp, Weight Train, Work Hard in my Veggie Patch, Have Done Martial Arts, Gymnastics & have now just started doing YOGA & it’s AWESOME!!!!!! :P :P :P

If you check out my latest post or the one above it by the time you read this one (in My Thread)...you will find a little review I did on a recent FREE Beginners Yoga DVD I downloaded. For ages I have been looking for some kind of online instruction that covers the basics...one that can take me through a whole routine...NOW I HAVE FOUND IT!...I am actually downloading the second DVD now as well...its called: Yoga & The Art Of Aging.
Here is a link that might be useful:
http://yoga.org.nz/yoga_vidoes.htm
Be sure to check out my comments on what I thought about the Beginners DVD in my Food Diary.
The Website is PACKED FULL of usefull info, so be sure to checkout what else is on offer at the above link. After you register to get the first DVD...then you will get another email for the second. Something like that. I had no idea that it was as effective as it was after I did my first lesson. Takes time though....it’s all in my thread.

I think you’re going to do really well. Keep posting away and using those screen shot. Thanks for filling me in with the weight loss details...your obviously conscious of what it takes...if you’re feeling slack and need a push, just sing out!!!! Adjust your food and finetune as your fitness increases. Implement whatever strategies work best for you...talk it out...restructure your time management if need be, maybe try some of the challenges in the forum here. I mostly just hide in this Food Diary section, but there are some really great sections in other areas of the forum that can be of great help. Just between you and I...SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH & don’t tell anyone...I think there is tooooo much sugar out there and toooooo many excuses.

I understand what you mean about having a life...I’m not all whips & chains :lol: ...I’m just into quality of life without the cravings...it’s awesome to reach such heights. :P

Sounds like a good plan for the weekends...please don’t mind me and my stubborn ways with rejecting most food out there...I will inevitably stay away from a lot of the foods others may choose to use for the weight loss plans...but having said that, I get so much more from those willing to reciprocate that living with such differences don’t bother me at all...or should I say...I will try to keep the preaching in my own thread.

The Banana ice-cream requires some kind of cold press to get required consistency...however you could try mashing it with a meat basher/tenderiser?

Thanks for permission to board...Take care now. :wink:
Dave

Postby Tyger » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:53 am

Hi again Dave :) I'm glad you like the screen-shots. It's a lot easier than trying to edit everything coherently on my posts.

I am interested to read your threads. I think I'll do a bit of stalking and find where you post. Is it the progress thread? I have been thinking of posting there - it seems like a good place to do a pseudo kind of "blog" thing. I'm sure I'd find lots to yak about 8)

Dave wrote:Exercise...I love exercising...been doing it ever since I popped out...I just need to work on balance is all. I Hike, Run, Walk, Ride, Camp, Weight Train, Work Hard in my Veggie Patch, Have Done Martial Arts, Gymnastics & have now just started doing YOGA & it’s AWESOME!!!!!! :P :P :P

Wow Dave! That is fantastic! Do you have much weight to lose? I think you'll have no trouble at all looking at your level of activity. Variety is the spice of life - and you seem to have that one down pat in terms of exercise :mrgreen:

I understand what you mean about having a life...I’m not all whips & chains :lol: ...I’m just into quality of life without the cravings...it’s awesome to reach such heights. :P

This is what I strive to attain aswell. I love your balanced perspective on things. I think a lot of it has to do with meditation (I too cultivate balance and meditation in my life, or attempt to). That kind of mindfulness is what the world is often lacking, and is the reason all of us ended up with bodies that we do not feel are reflective of how we want to be and feel.
Tyger

Next

Return to Daily Food Diary