It is currently Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:32 am

Free Newsletter

Peddling for my life

Share and keep track of what you eat each day to help you lose weight.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Peddling for my life

Postby fortyfour » Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:52 pm

27 March

hoping i can make up for yesterday's over indulgence on the food front.

breakfast
cornflakes as usual

lunch
1 banana on 1 piece of wholegrain bread

dinner
pasta dinner as usual
w bean sprouts and cucumber

coffee as needed.

I was pleased that although i stayed up late last night I didn't eat anything further. I felt so shitty last night and i was tempted several times yesterday afternoon and night to go eat lollies (not that i have any at home).

No exercise today though.
Height - 165cm
Starting weight - 7 March 2013 - 83.6kg
weight - 21 March 2013 - 79.8kg
latest weight - 28 July 2013 - 77kg
fortyfour

Postby fortyfour » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:37 pm

Last night i ate an orange

Then later on, probably around 5am, i ate a cheese sandwich.

Breakfast today was at 11.30 am.
cornflakes as usual.

I haven't had lunch yet and its nearly 5pm.

Ijust had a banana though so think it might be time for lunch.
I'm going to make

corn on the cob and i'm not sure what else.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby fortyfour » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Its 6.30pm and i've just had

2 stuffed olives
1 piece wholegrain toast with cottage cheese
1 cup salep drink made with light milk

I just want to eat but its mainly out of boredom, not hunger.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby fortyfour » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:00 pm

Dinner last night was

1 cup pasta, 1 tsp olive oil, garlic, parmesan cheese

A binge on grapes later on. I just wanted to eat and decided if i'm going to want to binge then try to stick with good low calories foods or a meal, something with nutrition, and not just sugar, fat and calories, not to mention salt. This is my thing - if i have an impulse to eat too much, just make sure its good low calorie stuff but keep away from the sweet stuff because that is my downfall. Well its not that i've just worked this out. I learned this long ago, that's why on my diet i try to completely avoid sweets. (Although Salep last night is sweet. )

I thought i ate something else but i can't remember what right now. Certainly i had more cups coffee/hot milk.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby fortyfour » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:08 pm

And this morning the scale said 80kg.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby Blitz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:26 pm

It's good that you have pulled it back a bit but your routine is all over the shop at the moment. Eating at these odd times are not doing your body any flavours.

I know that you don't feel like doing exercise but you will find that exercise will lift you mood and that will aid you. Raining the excuse? I use to walk and jog in the rain all the time. Bought myself some sturdy rain gear that has seen me through. You get really warm in that gear after a bit of exercise. It is rather pleasant in the rain actually...just you and nature...guess no one else is mad enough! :lol:
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby fortyfour » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:30 pm

Kym, thanks for your input. But please could you refrain from giving me advice.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby fortyfour » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:51 pm

29 March

breakfast quite late
cornflakes and coffee

Lunch late this arvo
bean sprouts and grated carrot
large piece of paw paw
then
2 pieces wholegrain toast with 1 cup baked beans
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby Blitz » Fri Mar 29, 2013 9:49 pm

fortyfour wrote:Kym, thanks for your input. But please could you refrain from giving me advice.

No. This is a public forum and your posts are public posts. You have the right to reply, to heed my advice or not as you wish.

People may relate to your situation and in reading our posts could find what I say helpful to them. There are many lurkers that come to this forum who haven't found the courage yet to share of their lives. Sometimes life isn't just about you (or me for that matter).

Many years ago I stood at a crossroad in my life. I was about to make a dreadful mistake that would have ruined my life. Many friends watched on with the interest of watching a traffic accident but said nothing to me. One elderly man from my church had the courage to step up and tell me straight to my face what I needed to hear. I knew he was right. I didn't like what he had to say but everything within knew it was true. I needed to hear it out aloud to move me to right action. Yes it was painful to hear at the time but now I thank God that he did.

"The only thing necessary for evil to flourish is for good men to do nothing." (attributed to Edmund Burke) This is why I am not silent.

Kim (not Kym)
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby fortyfour » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:39 am

I've been and gone on my two month cycling trip and lost about 8kg without even trying. In fact i ate lots of patisserie and otherwise just ate what i wanted. I didn't over eat or undereat but i did a lot of exercise. Now i'm home and want to keep up the fitness and lose some more weight. I'm still officially overweight. So i'm going to continue this diary.

In France i was so blown away by all the really yummy things there that i am going to continue with them in my life until i get sick of it. I"m going to make patisserie. The idea is to make one delicious thing per week for myself. I will have only one serve of it, and share the rest with family and friends so that i can't binge on it.

Another thing i discovered whilst away was that if i eat the sweet course first, i will have forgotten all about it by the end of the meal. If i leave it to the end, i find i usually want to get up and immediately eat another serve of dessert but this way i've found my sweet tooth and appetite have been satisfied.

I know i can do this successfully until a new wave of depression starts to set in then what will be will be.

I probably won't be keeping a daily food diary though.

But here is todays and if tomorrow's is not in, nothing need be made of that. I have a lot of other stuff to do at the moment.

Today - Wednesday 25 July
breakfast
one piece toast with butter and cherry jam, coffee w milk no sugar as usual.

lunch
one piece of toast with butter, two small slices of swiss cheese and 4 large cherry tomatoes.
I had to prepare this in a hurry.

Dinner
glass of white wine
hash brown things made from one grated carrot, one small grated potato, one egg, breadcrumbs to help absorb the liquid, flour for rolling in, a small bit of Gorgonzola cheese to put in the middle of the rissoles. Oil for cooking.
2 bites size pieces of dessert with a drizzle of cream
grand mariner
coffee w milk
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby admin » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:40 am

Welcome back and what a fantastic 2 months you would have had....I'm Jealous.
You sound refreshed and would have a new lease on life, good for you, and you must be fit!
Keep it up now you are back.
Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Postby fortyfour » Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:18 pm

Thanks for the welcome.

My new lease on life is precarious. It always is. I'm still feeling good but my sleep has already gone out of whack. My eating is good though.

Yesterday i cooked Augbergine Gratin based on but then elaborated on from my new french recipe book that i brought home.

Here is what i did.

One large aubergine - sliced about 1cm thick.
1 onion - sliced thinly.
2 medium potatoes - sliced thinly
Whatever is left in the jar of a bolognase tomato sauce made by leg go. I think i had 2/3s of a jar.

Bechamel Sauce
1 soup spoon of plain flour
Enough butter to mix with the flour, about 1 soup spoon
500ml of milk

Cheese. I used coon tasty but a bit of parmesan added would be nice.

Salt the aubergines to help remove some of the water. Wipe off water and salt before use.
Saute the onions until soft but not over done in a frypan with some olive oil.

Grease a baking dish that has a lid. Layer up all the vegies in the dish, starting with the aubergine, then onion then potatoes. Spoon over some tomato sauce.
Do another layer until all vegies are in. If the tomato sauce doesn't almost cover the vegies you can add a bit of water carefully so as not to dislodge too much tomato. Cover the dish. It takes quite a while to cook so get them started in the oven and cook on about 220.

To make the béchamel, melt the butter in a saucepan, add the flour. Then on low heat cook the roux for a minute or two taking care not to burn it. Then add a little milk and try to break up the roux. Add the rest of the milk, mix once then leave it to heat up the milk. When its hot enough blend the roux with the milk. It will blend much more easily when the milk is hot. Beat to smooth and then bring to the boil gently. Let cook until thickened properly. Add some cheese.

Pour the sauce over the top of the vegies and sprinkle with the remainder of the cheese. Return the dish to the oven with the lid on. Remove the lid near the end to brown the cheese.

If the vegies are showing too much liquid cook with the lid off to evaporate some. The dish is properly cooked when all the vegies are soft, particularly the aubergine should be soft and taste good.

I made a salad to go with it. I learnt about this one in france

Salad with three cheeses
In a large bowl, add Iceberg lettuce broken up into small pieces.
4 large cherry tomatoes chopped into quarters
Some capscium thinly sliced
Cut off a small piece of three different cheeses (i used gorgonzola, St Claire and Parmesan)
Cut into small cubes about half a centimetre square.
Add about 1 soup spoon of dressing and toss properly. I used bottled ceaser dressing i bought from the supermarket.

Eat this as a first course or a meal in itself.

Finally a piece of dark chocolate from the expensive box i bought home for my father.

This morning for breakfast was two crumpets with butter and cherry jam + coffee. Which is not ideal but i found it hard to stop at one.

I haven't lost any more weight since i've been home but all my sleeping is going out of whack and i haven't felt like going out to exercise per se. However, my mood is still good so i'm enjoying my cooking which is important. For a while i was out in the garden each day with the brushcutter chopping down the long grass. I need to get back to this job as things have gotten out of hand here.

Meanwhile in the middle of the night i've been sewing and cleaning up my van.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby fortyfour » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:45 pm

Current weight 73kg and fighting fit. I'm just back from a short tour from Alice Springs to Uluru via the Macdonnell Ranges. Its a beautiful place and lots to explore and enjoy though i was tired after my french trip and am so glad to be home now.

I'm feeling positive and optimistic and full of plans and ideas. I went for a walk with my sister this afternoon and am going to book myself in to a 5km race in November as motivation to get me running, keep fit and continue losing weight.

Cycle touring is definitely my best way of losing weight.

Food wise, i have a new wonderful recipe that i want to share with people.

Its called SMASHED AVOCARDOS and i ate it at a cafe in Alice Springs.

Layer it up in this order _
Two slices wholegrain toast
a pile of avocardo with a hint of garlic mashed
a finely chopped salad of tomato and onion. Go easy on the onion unless you love it.
a sprinkling of crumbled fetta cheese
a dusting of ground black pepper

And voila a yummo healthy lunch. Its not light on calories but it is healthy and if you are otherwise eating well and being active this won't add negatively to your weight.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

Postby admin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Welcome back- you must be fit as a fiddle.....recipe sounds great- thanks for sharing.

Cheers Sharrelle
admin
Site Admin

Postby fortyfour » Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:45 am

Hi Sharelle. Yes i'm pretty fit now and feeling good for it. I'm going to try to maintain it. Which is always hard for me. Yesterday i let me sister take me out for a 30 minute walk. Then later i took the dog for a walk. I think i'm still too fat to go running. I don't want to put extra weight on my knees. But i'm also about to register for a 5km race to be held in November - not that i will be trying to win. Its more just to keep me motivated and doing it.

As the weather gets hotter here, it does become extremely hard to maintain the running and walking practices and i'm not a morning person.

I've got a an idea to start a cycling for weight management group here in my town. Not sure whether i will do it yet but if i do, my agenda is to get others taking up cycle touring as a weight loss approach on top of the usual travelling/exploring fun thing.
Height - 165cm
fortyfour

PreviousNext

Return to Daily Food Diary