It is currently Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:41 pm

Free Newsletter

Cackleberry's Food Diary

Share and keep track of what you eat each day to help you lose weight.

Moderator: Moderators

Cackleberry's Food Diary

Postby Cackleberry » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:09 pm

Hi :) Today is Day 1 of my weight loss journey. I have tried for the past 3 years to make a start but got nowhere but I am erasing the past, today is a new day! Thought it would help if I keep a note of some feelings while I write in this food diary as well, to keep me accountable. I'm so glad I came across this forum!! I am on Calorie King and my daily allowance is 1340 cal. This was my day today:

Breakfast: 2 slices jam toast (multigrain bread) and a coffee - 269 cal
Lunch: Vegemite and cheese sandwich - 231 cal
Dinner: 2 oven fried battered fish (tbs light tartare sauce), mixed frozen veg, small handful of crinkle cut chips (cooked in our Tefal machine, no oil) - 531 cal
Dessert: 1 banana creamy pop (like a banana paddle pop) - 98 cal
Snacks: 2 apples, 30gm roasted nibble mix, 2 coffees, banana shake (made with 1 cup lite milk and 1 banana) - 606 cal

Exercise - 1.5 hours housework (I am a support worker) - 345 cal

Total daily cal (including exercise) - 1292 cal

I am very happy with my Day 1. I just need to stick with this for the next couple of weeks to get into the swing of things again. I find that the hardest, but i'm hoping with the help of this forum, I will get there this time!
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
Short Term GW 69kg (10kg loss)
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Re: Cackleberry's Food Diary

Postby Blitz » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:13 am

Off to a great start by keep this Diary! Good work! 8)

Can I make a few observations? (rhetorical question really...because I'm gonna anyway! :lol: )

Breakfast: This is the important meal of the day. If you are going to err on the side of generous - this is the meal to do it with.
You want to get some bulk in at this meal so as to give yourself a full feeling to help you through the day. Also a good breakfast helps kick the metabolism up which is a good thing. Try yoghurt (personally I don't like the stuff and don't have it but I do recognise it's value to many) or a healthy breakfast cereal (one with lots of fibre and little sugar). One toast and jam is fine...two is one too many. Try keeping your bread consumption minimal. Nothing wrong with the coffee...moderation is the key though.

Lunch: Good lunch but make sure that you don't have too much cheese. Buy the lite varieties of cheese...they are healthier but they still pack a punch...so keep that portion of them light as well.

Dinner: Fish is good...just be wary of anything that is fried or battered...there are healthier options. Be very moderate when eating anything fried and/or battered. Mixed frozen veg is great...be generous with your serve of that!

Dessert: Generally speaking, cutting desserts while you are in the weight loss phase is a good idea. These foods usually aren't helpful and can be cut without being missed too greatly. Have an apple instead or as a treat two squares of dark chocolate if you "need" a dessert.

Snacks: Apples...very good (not too big in size though). Banana shake...terrible idea - just have the banana whole...much more healthier. Nuts...the wrong sort - roasted nuts aren't very helpful...natural nuts are best (almonds - ten of them...thirteen if they are smallish is a good serve size...walnuts are okay too).

I hope I haven't bent you out of shape with my ideas which are based on what I've learnt along this weight loss journey. I want you to succeed like I have done. 8)

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Postby Cackleberry » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:17 am

Hi Kim, I appreciate your input, it's great to read through. A bit about my 'diet/weight loss' history.... I have done weight watchers, TOWN (Take Off Weight Naturally) club, gloria marshall...you name it, i've done it over the years. My husband lost around 20kgs year before last and has kept it off after he did the diabetes program. He keeps telling me what worked for him and he doesn't understand why I won't 'just do it'. If there is anything to know about what foods to eat that are healthiest, I know it. I should be a weight loss guru. I think the last point you made in my introduction thread about being ready and making a wish become a MUST is the truth for me. I know it all, I just need to put it into action. But in saying that, I do want to live life as well. In the beginning, I think I need to just stick to my calories daily and once I get into the swing of that for a few weeks, I will start to look at what I can improve on, if that makes sense? This site seems SO helpful and I think it will help hugely!!

I am currently sitting here with my morning coffee (lite milk with 1/2 sugar). Not sure what i'm having for breakfast as yet. I've been reading through some food diaries on here and actually tomato and cheese on toast sounds delish but alas, I have no tomatoes as yet. Really must go buy some and also some mushrooms...mmmmmmm.
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby Cackleberry » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:46 am

Mmmm, just had 2 pieces of toast with baby spinach and lite cheese slices melted in griller. I want to buy some mushrooms and tomatoes today so I can add them for tomorrow's breakfast. I'm having another coffee also. Hubby is home from work today but I have to go to work at 10am until 3pm *sigh He has made me a healthy sandwich to take with me for lunch :)
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby tinkerbella » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:09 pm

"Follow"
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Cackleberry » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:53 pm

Happy with today so far :) But the time I struggle most is at dinner and after dinner. I usually go well all day and then ruin it in those last hours. I won't this time though!! I am determined and I feel this diary is keeping me accountable.

Breakfast: 2 x slices of toast with baby spinach and lite cheese slices grilled, 2 x coffees - 292 cal
Lunch: Smoked Ham slice, lite cheese slice, baby spinach, tbs light mayonnaise sandwich, 1 coffee - 325 cal
Snacks: Med Banana, 10 almonds (Blitz - take note lol), 1 tub 150gm vaalia low fat passionfruit yoghurt, 1 coffee - 363 cal

Total so far: 1158 cal

I think we are having sausages, mixed veg and potato for dinner but unsure at the moment, will add later.

I haven't done any exercise for today, but it's pouring outside and freeeeeezing (there was snow in the mountains brrrr). We have a treadmill but it stopped working (boohoo). Hubby is going to have a look at it and see if it can be fixed - fingers crossed! I might even try to fit in a 7 minute workout (new app I have on my phone).
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby ganymede » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:11 pm

A great start and love the food diary! :)

I agree with Kim that breakfast should be your heartiest meal of the day. If I have a good breakfast (usually three vita brits with a banana and skim milk) then I can usually go through until lunch time. Lunch is probably my lightest meal, as long as I have something to curb my hunger then I'm satisfied til dinner. As for the fish, I have to agree with Kim again. Have you tried having hoki maybe? It's approx. 100 cals per 100g so a 200g serve is a pretty decent size. I coat mine in a light seasoning (Tandaco Fish seasoning, can be bought at woolies) and grill it and it is AMAZING! It tastes 1000 times better than the battered rubbish you get from the fish and chip shop and far more filling :) Just a thought but a great start so far!

If I'm feeling that dessert craving after dinner, I'll have something. That's my big thing that I cannot overlook. I just get cranky and mentally sad if I don't at least get a "fix". It doesn't mean it has to be bad though! You can generally get pretty low calorie desserts or have some fruit or a diet yoghurt and a good cup of tea really fills the void. I'd also suggest maybe upping your calories slightly (just a personal opinion, not trying to harass you!), 1158 for instance is a very low day. The only way I can deal with a low day like this (and we ALL have those days where we're not feeling hungry or are too busy!) is if I make sure I eat a good 1500 calories the next day. I'm cycling calories at the moment but just make sure you listen to your body. If it's screaming out that it hasn't got enough for the day, you're probably safer to have something small extra to avoid depriving yourself and ultimately binging on something worse! Just a thought :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your progress in the weeks to come!
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby tinkerbella » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:23 pm

hello,
I know your not doing WW but understand your doing cal's,
they have sausages at coles and I can have 2 for 3 points there very healthy sausages but not very big but sometimes I just feel like a sausage when the family are having them...you can tell which ones are mine as they are about half the size...
also they have rissoles which also arnt real big but only 2 of my points...

Just thought I would let you know,but what ever you do make sure you enjoy your dinner....

OH also you said about after dinner you find yourself having trouble,
I will let u in on a secret of mine,
no sugar jelly,
yogurt
banana...

Make a no sugar jelly,
let cool
add the yogurt but don't mix it so u cant see that theres jelly as well as yogurt
then let set...

then add the banana...

makes a lot and you can eat the lot over a couple of nights and you will find theres not many cals at all...

cals = calories I always forget how too spell that one....
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby tinkerbella » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:27 pm

Cackleberry wrote:Happy with today so far :) But the time I struggle most is at dinner and after dinner. I usually go well all day and then ruin it in those last hours. I won't this time though!! I am determined and I feel this diary is keeping me accountable.

Breakfast: 2 x slices of toast with baby spinach and lite cheese slices grilled, 2 x coffees - 292 cal
Lunch: Smoked Ham slice, lite cheese slice, baby spinach, tbs light mayonnaise sandwich, 1 coffee - 325 cal
Snacks: Med Banana, 10 almonds (Blitz - take note lol), 1 tub 150gm vaalia low fat passionfruit yoghurt, 1 coffee - 363 cal

Total so far: 1158 cal

I think we are having sausages, mixed veg and potato for dinner but unsure at the moment, will add later.

I haven't done any exercise for today, but it's pouring outside and freeeeeezing (there was snow in the mountains brrrr). We have a treadmill but it stopped working (boohoo). Hubby is going to have a look at it and see if it can be fixed - fingers crossed! I might even try to fit in a 7 minute workout (new app I have on my phone).

My daughters near where you are and its upsetting too see you wrote about rain and snow.....
Ive also just seen the news and weather and im starting too tear up...

Shes out in the bush with no tents and only a hole dug out of the dirt and a sleeping bag,she has too do this for 10 days and doesn't finnish until Wednesday....Its very emotional for me thinking about her,as as a mum I just love her more than anything....

Sorry I do go off topic as I feel its a nicer place if we care about each other and get too know the people we share time with....
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Cackleberry » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:57 pm

I think I read that your daughter has gone to army training? Is that right? I am sure she will be fine, but I do understand your worry, we are mums, it's our job :lol: I remember one night when my son was at scout camp for the weekend. It was stormy night, huge winds and they were camping. I was so close to jumping in the car and going to collect him but I knew the scout leaders wouldn't put them in danger and would call if we needed to come collect them. When I told him about wanting to pick him up when I collected him on the Sunday, he looked at me weird and said 'but why, we were having a ball and loved it!'. I am sure that is what your daughter will say when you see or talk to her next as well :) How old is your daughter? I have 3 boys and 1 girl, aged 16, 13, 11 and 8.

Sorry I do go off topic as I feel its a nicer place if we care about each other and get too know the people we share time with....

Couldn't agree more! :D
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby Cackleberry » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:01 pm

I just had 2 butterscotch lollies as I felt like I needed something before dinner. Not the best, but it worked! For dinner I have entered in 1 sausage, mixed frozen veg and a boiled potato for 288 cal so all up for the day i'll be 1322 cal which will allow for a coffee later on this evening if I feel I need something. I know i'm having too many coffees at the moment, but they are what will keep me going for the first couple of weeks :P :oops:
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby tinkerbella » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:06 pm

I have 3 kids,
21 Mark Commercial Electrician hes in his 3rd year
has a beautiful girlfriend Shannyn training too be a nurse..

19 Courtney (girl) training in the army comes out 16th August,then goes too Melbourne for 6 months,then WA...we think

16 Blake year 10 also works at KMart

all really good kids,
and much loved...

but is it time for them too move out yet,shhhh did I say that...;-)
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Cackleberry » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:09 pm

My 16 year old boy (Michael) is in year 11 and is working at KFC part time. He turns 17 in October and has been working there since he turned 15.

Lol, wouldn't that be nice to have the house to yourselves finally :D I dream of that day........ 8) But in all reality, when the day comes, I am sure that I will be a blubbering mess.
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby tinkerbella » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:17 pm

It doesn't hurt them too work,its great for them,alot of firsts have happened for our 16 year old..hes just got his first gf,just got his Ls but with them being his firsts they are my last...I wont have another kid get there Ls....
Im guessing your understanding me as it is sad when your baby grows up....that's when I will get upset when my baby leaves home...lol well maybe for a short time...lol

oh im bad....
I cried when my last child started school but then I relized oh isn't this fun having the house too myself for a few hours lol....
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Cackleberry » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:33 pm

Ah yes, that sounds like my son last year...all the new firsts. It is my first son, so it was all a little scary :/ Even now, he is starting VCE and falling behind in some work in English and I worry. He apparently sorted it all out today though, so all good. Some days, I feel like i'm doing a great job at this parenting gig and then other times, I feel like i'm failing miserably.

I feel very satisfied after dinner. I had what I wrote in Calorie King and added a little bit of gravy as well. Also had a glass of pepsi max with dinner :) My son isn't working until close at KFC tonight, so he won't be bringing home any chicken 8) Not that I would have any anyway ;) I am making this weight loss thang happen!!
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Next

Return to Daily Food Diary