It is currently Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Free Newsletter

Cackleberry's Food Diary

Share and keep track of what you eat each day to help you lose weight.

Moderator: Moderators

Re: Cackleberry's Food Diary

Postby DD Diva » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:36 pm

Cackleberry wrote: Lunch ended up being vegetable soup instead of chicken and corn as the boys stole them before it was even lunch time :lol: Ah well...vegetable soup was really yum. We only have white bread in the freezer (bought in an emergency when the shops were out of multigrain....they always run out of that first!!). So I opted to have no toast with my soup. I am now feeling full and satisfied :D I actually really love soup. Should really make my own...

Oh you poor thing, well at least you got to have nice veggie soup (yummmmmm)! I love soup too, and make my own soups whenever I can, then freeze them. It is so cheap, I just throw in whatever I have, add as many veggies as possible then once cook I blend some (smooth) and leave some as it is (chunky) soup, then freeze!!! I usually make a huge batch of 6-8 x 500ml containers, and whenever it's cold I grab one out of the freezer, and it's "heat and eat" (healthy!!) in minutes!!! :wink: And if you want an extra little something nice, a slice of bread either unbuttered or (if I need a cheese fix) with one of those light laughing cow cheese triangles (25 cals each)....OMG it's a healthy meal to die for!!! :D
DD Diva

Postby Cackleberry » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:09 pm

Definitely going to try and make up some homemade soups and as you say, freeze some for convenience. Nice to have on a cold wintery day :)

I am a bit annoyed. I ordered a grilled piece of fish when we got take out. What I got was a crumbed piece of grilled fish. It was double the amount of calories!! Lucky I was way under with calories before dinner anyway, so my day has ended at a total of 1263 cals. I am now not sure what to ask for when ordering??
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
Short Term GW 69kg (10kg loss)
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby tinkerbella » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:48 pm

Point out the piece of fish you want if that's possible and ask for it grilled,or ask to see the fish before they cook it.our local fish and chip shop has it all on display.usually I'm lucky and we catch our own seafood.but not everybody is that lucky.
Doing real well Karen keep up the good work.
START WEIGHT 98
11/08/15........80
GOAL WEIGHT.81
tinkerbella

Postby Cackleberry » Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:57 pm

Problem is, we ordered it over the phone and hubby went to pick it up. I didn't know there was any other type of grilled fish lol, had no idea they would crumb it, thought that was strange. It was very tasty, but annoyed as it was double the calories :|
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby Cackleberry » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:01 pm

Do you count calories Diva? How many are you on daily? I have found in the past when I lower my intake to 1200 cals, it has the opposite reaction with my body and I seem to hold onto my fat. Calorie King website has suggested 1340 cal but i'll have to see how it goes, as I do have my 'calorie counting free' day on Tuesday, so that probably will start to affect the week.
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby DD Diva » Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:59 pm

Cackleberry wrote:Do you count calories Diva? How many are you on daily? I have found in the past when I lower my intake to 1200 cals, it has the opposite reaction with my body and I seem to hold onto my fat. Calorie King website has suggested 1340 cal but i'll have to see how it goes, as I do have my 'calorie counting free' day on Tuesday, so that probably will start to affect the week.

Yes I do Karen, but I'm almost reluctant to admit how much as I would surely get shot down for it!!! :oops: Not that that'd bother me, and I'm not saying it's right or wrong, just that it's extreme but it is based on a colleagues (an obesity research scientist's) recommendation.

Anyway, I use MyFitnessPal the phone app so I can check it not matter where I am. I vary the amount from as low as 400 to as high as 2400 depending on how much exercise I'm doing. I eat whatever I want, nothing is off the table (or plate) but all in moderation!!! There is a reason for your body doing that, when you have too few calories, it's the body's survival mechanism kicking into action because it thinks you're starving it so it holds on to every morsel or crumb that goes into your mouth!! The key is to keep the body guessing; fuel it enough and with healthy food to sustain you and it won't do that to you!!

With regard to your crumbed fish, I'm curious how was it double the calories if the only difference was the crumbs, that is, if it was still grilled? I know some fish and chip shops will do that, or batter it lightly, they have to otherwise the fish would fall apart almost!
DD Diva

Postby Cackleberry » Sun Aug 17, 2014 12:07 pm

I've heard of FitnessPal and I think I did add the app to my phone at one stage, but I already had heaps of saved recipes etc on Calorie King, so stick with that.

I stupidly hopped on the scales this morning to have a peak. I have gained 300gms since last Tuesday. I just don't get it, as i've been eating better this week than last??? This is why I don't hop on the scales before weigh in day usually, as it's disappointing. I'm going to try and stick with 1200 cals for the next couple of days and go for a walk each day, see if I can get some weight off. I just wish I could understand it all. Perhaps calorie counting just isn't for me anymore? But without counting calories I seem to go right off the rails.

Ah well, I will keep on going...

With regard to your crumbed fish, I'm curious how was it double the calories if the only difference was the crumbs, that is, if it was still grilled? I know some fish and chip shops will do that, or batter it lightly, they have to otherwise the fish would fall apart almost!

I put in calorie king, grilled piece of fresh whiting and it was 109 cals. But when I put in crumbed grilled fresh whiting (same weight), it came up at 225 cal. Might depend on how much crumb it has on it? It did only seem lightly crumbed.

This morning's breakfast was 50gm muesli with 1/4 cup lite milk and a coffee (262 cal). I just ate a small slice of cinnamon bun with tiny bit of margarine (159 cal) with a coffee (38 cal). Lunch I have entered minestrone soup with a slice of toast (Helgas) for 373 cal. Total for today is 832 cal. So if i'm sticking to 1200 today instead of my normal 1340, that means I have around 400 for dinner. Not sure what is planned for dinner yet. We have nothing in the house.
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby DD Diva » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:42 pm

Cackleberry wrote:I've heard of FitnessPal and I think I did add the app to my phone at one stage, but I already had heaps of saved recipes etc on Calorie King, so stick with that.

I stupidly hopped on the scales this morning to have a peak. I have gained 300gms since last Tuesday. I just don't get it, as i've been eating better this week than last??? This is why I don't hop on the scales before weigh in day usually, as it's disappointing. I'm going to try and stick with 1200 cals for the next couple of days and go for a walk each day, see if I can get some weight off. I just wish I could understand it all. Perhaps calorie counting just isn't for me anymore? But without counting calories I seem to go right off the rails.

Ah well, I will keep on going...

Karen, if counting calories works for you (regardless if it is CK or MFP; btw I've used them both, and both are great!) and if it keeps you on track, stick with it. There is no "one size fits all" in weight loss, it is (for the most part) what works for you!!! And although I was confess, I was shocked by (and fearful for your well being) when I first saw what you were eating, I now see that through careful planning your meals, and counting (no doubt religiously) every calorie, you've done AMAZINGLY WELL!!! :wink: Some people (Kim?!) :lol: have managed to lose a ton of weight without counting a single calorie, so it can be done without ever reaching for a guide or calculator!!! Trust in yourself, and your own instincts, you know what's right and how much you can have. Aside from that, you may have gone up for a million reasons, fluid retention, muscle build up (highly probably given all the walking you've been doing) or your body just needs to keep a little in reserve for a day or so until it processes it properly. Don't worry....
Cackleberry wrote:I put in calorie king, grilled piece of fresh whiting and it was 109 cals. But when I put in crumbed grilled fresh whiting (same weight), it came up at 225 cal. Might depend on how much crumb it has on it? It did only seem lightly crumbed.

According to MFP a piece of grilled flake or whiting (from a fish n' chip shop) is 123 cals but it doesn't say if that's crumbed or battered. A crumbed fillet is approx. an extra 50 or so for the crumbs (the F&C shop would hardly use any!!) so tops that piece of fish would have cost you (calorie-wise) about 175 which is what MFP quotes for an average grilled crumbed fillet of fish!!! So please don't beat yourself up about that one lonely little fish!!! :lol:

If you weighed yourself either straight after, or the next morning following a heavier meal, you're bound to see an increase. But take heart, it is temporary and most probably fluid. It will come off BEFORE your weigh in day, if you don't let it upset you and affect what you do for the next couple of days!! Really, don't let it get you down, you've been doing a great job, and you'll get through this little glitch (which you'd have been blissfully ignorant of had you not taken a sneak peek)!!! :shock:

You'll be fine!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby Cackleberry » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:42 pm

Decided not to have toast with my soup, to make it easier for this afternoon and tonight :)
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby DD Diva » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Cackleberry wrote:Decided not to have toast with my soup, to make it easier for this afternoon and tonight :)

It's really got you fired up hasn't it??? I can sense it from your determination not skip the bread.
Admirable, but whatever you do please don't punish yourself (your body) it will fight you back!! They have a mean habit of doing that. Be kind to yourself, and if you feel the need for the bread have it, if you can manage to skip it (happily) then by all means. Either way, be happy!! I cannot stress enough how important that is in this journey. :wink:
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:48 pm

Oops I meant, to skip the bread!!! :roll:
DD Diva

Postby Cackleberry » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:53 pm

If you weighed yourself either straight after, or the next morning following a heavier meal, you're bound to see an increase. But take heart, it is temporary and most probably fluid. It will come off BEFORE your weigh in day, if you don't let it upset you and affect what you do for the next couple of days!! Really, don't let it get you down, you've been doing a great job, and you'll get through this little glitch (which you'd have been blissfully ignorant of had you not taken a sneak peek)!!! :shock:

:lol: Very true!

You'll be fine!!! :wink:

Thanks! :D

It's really got you fired up hasn't it??? I can sense it from your determination not skip the bread.
Admirable, but whatever you do please don't punish yourself (your body) it will fight you back!! They have a mean habit of doing that. Be kind to yourself, and if you feel the need for the bread have it, if you can manage to skip it (happily) then by all means. Either way, be happy!! I cannot stress enough how important that is in this journey. :wink:

Certainly has! I guess I try and understand my body and for the life of me, I can't :| I was happy to skip the bread, as the soup is quite filling by itself :) I can still have it if I feel like it later as I still have just over 500 cals leftover but i've put in an apple for this afternoon and i'm sure that will be fine. It's a little experiment to see what my body does after today :)
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

Postby DD Diva » Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:58 pm

Great choice!!! You've got the idea!!! :D
If you can get away with it (and by that I mean, the soup alone fills you up enough) then by all means, skip the bread. Or if you MUST have a little something, make it a piece of fruit, or a cuppa!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:03 pm

Hey how about instead of one lonely piece of bread why not opt for a couple of corn thins (go the "tasty cheese" ones, they are yummmmmmmy and so cheesy) with the soup!! Heck, you can't beat soup and (tasty cheese) crackers and it doesn't mount to anywhere near as much as one slice of Helga's!!! :shock:
DD Diva

Postby Cackleberry » Sun Aug 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Does sound good :) Apart from the fact that I have no tasty cheese corn thins in the house and I can't be bothered going out :oops: 8)
Karen

SW 79.1kg
CW 77.0kg
GW 58kg

Cackleberry

PreviousNext

Return to Daily Food Diary