It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:29 pm

Free Newsletter

Giving up Smoking...

Join one of our motivational Challenges or start one yourself.

Moderator: Moderators

Giving up Smoking...

Postby Rustie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:38 am

Well my challenge is to quit!
Give me some tips and advise to keep me going cause im sure gonna need them.

I have got to the stage where i dont enjoy it anymore and cant afford it. So this is the first step to having a healthy lifestyle.

SW: 80kg
CW: 78.5kg
GW: 60kg
Rustie

Postby electrongirl » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:41 am

I didn't even know you did!!

You can do it! I quit 2.5 years ago and if I can do it anyone can!!

Think of the extra money! No stinky clothes! No lung cancer!!
Nikki - Aussie girl living in the USA with her soul mate. My blog: http://aus2usa.blogspot.com/

Image Image
electrongirl

Postby Rustie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:46 am

Yeh i dont smoke alot but still smoking is bad. Water is going to be my friend and the internet to get away from things..

Rustie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:08 am

hi sam im sure you can do this :) i dont smoke so i dont have any advice but i live with a smoker and therefore know the extent of the costs involved which sucks!
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:53 am

You can do it!

Advice: Pick a day to be "quit day" and tell everyone you know that you are quitting... then they can help hold you to it!

Avoid friends who smoke for at least the first couple of weeks and only hang out with non-smoking friends.

Get some daily exercise.

Get some nicotine replacement gum for the cravings and use that when you need to.

Visualise stinky black lungs and cancer when you feel like lighting up.

Call the QuitLine for more advice.

Quitting smoking is HANDS DOWN the best thing you can do for your health (yes, better than losing weight). Smoking has been proven to greatly increase your risk of heart attacks, strokes, peripheral artery disease and many cancers including liver cancer, breast cancer and kidney cancer. Smoking is a direct cause of emphysema and chronic bronchitis (people usually end up on home oxygen 24/7) and is the main cause of lung cancer. Head and neck cancers (like tongue and throat cancer) are almost NEVER seen in non-smokers..

Quitting smoking decreases your risk of all of these things, and the more years you are "smoke free" the better off you are!

You can do it Rustie :) Stay strong! This is the smartest thing you will ever do for yourself. And one of the hardest!
Mandie

Postby shelbel » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:33 am

I didnt know you smoked either! Its grotty, give it up! :evil:

There, now that your cured LOL If only it was so easy hey! My boy smokes too, he tried to give up, but one beer on the weekend and it was all over! :roll: I wish he would give it up, it smells. Ok so can u tell i dont like it!! LOL Oh wait hang on, this isnt my thread!!

Sam you can so do this hon, just gotta hang tough!! :wink:
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Postby tanya » Thu Nov 01, 2007 11:46 am

Good luck you can do it!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wgVAbhK/]
[/url]

'Changing to a healthier lifestyle'
Mini goal: To get to 85kg!
tanya

Postby Rustie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:30 pm

Its now 10.31am (wst) and havent had one...and not really craved either! I think keeping myself occupied is the key and im sure my houe is going to be spotless by the end of the week!

I havent told anyone except you guys cause i dont want them asking about it or if i do fail giving me greif. Havent even told my other half yet. He will just laugh at me :(

Took Ayden to swimming lessons this morning and that was great. Had nutrigrain for breaky.
I hope i dont start eating everything insite cause im not smoking.. Arr the thought of that scares me,,,

Rustie

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:42 pm

good on you sam slow and steady wins the race :) take it easy :)
kate_turner2000

Postby Mandie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 1:43 pm

You're doing great so far :) Well done!

But this :
I havent told anyone except you guys cause i dont want them asking about it or if i do fail giving me greif. Havent even told my other half yet. He will just laugh at me

Worries me a little. Why would anyone laugh at you for doing something so positive for your health? Does your other half smoke?

I think perhaps fear of telling your friends you failed is a good motivator.. maybe give it a few days and then start telling people? As you said, you don't want people giving you grief.. best way to stop that is to remain smoke-free :)
Mandie

Postby Rustie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 2:56 pm

Yeh other half smokes!! But i have told him and a few other people and they are great about it. Its now 1pm here and hardly had a craving. Tonight it will probably hit me:(

Rustie

Postby Mandie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:08 pm

Can you get him to quit with you?

You need to make sure you stay away from him and don't let him smoke anywhere near you! Maybe tonight when he wants a smoke you should go out for a walk or something, just get away from the craving? ANd don't forget to get some gum!
Mandie

Postby Rustie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:00 pm

We have never ever smoked in the house though we normally sit at the back table. Its cool i can close the door and/or lay in bed and he is far enough away from me. Hes not an exessive smoker and will probably have 3 from now until bed time.

Well to keep myslef busy i cleaned the bedroom. Had to finish the filing and sort out the shoes. Also went through my wardrobe and threw out crap that was sitting there for no reason. Made the bed and vaccuumed the floor.
And my god the craving has just hit,.. arrr i will be fine.. i will be fine
glass of water time.. breathe in and out..

Rustie

Postby Mandie » Thu Nov 01, 2007 5:22 pm

Sounds like you'll have a nice clean house :)

You could try going for a walk or something, take only keys and phone (no money) so then you CANT have a cigarette... or go in the bath! you can't smoke in a bath!
Mandie

Postby milkyway » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:09 pm

Well done Sam for taking this fabulous step. I used to be a smoker but quit almost 6 years ago. the first few days are the hardest and if you can get through them, you can do this forever. The hardest thing for me was going out for a drink -- ciggies and beer were like best friends. But I went out anyway and got through that first night no probs. Best thing I ever did for my health. Remember the 4 D's:

Distraction
Drink Water
Deep breathing

Argh! There's one more D... I'll post if I think of it later :P
Just keep moving! And don't be lazy...
------------------------
SW: 74.3kg - 1/1/09
CW: 71.1kg - 3/5/09
GW 62kg
milkyway

Next

Return to Challenges