It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:57 pm

Free Newsletter

Kim's Weekly Challenges

Join one of our motivational Challenges or start one yourself.

Moderator: Moderators

Kim's Weekly Challenges

Postby Kimmie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 1:47 pm

I really like Sarah's idea, so I'm going to gracefully copy it! (I hope you don't mind, Sarah!) :P :D

My twist, is that I will think of some small achievable task that will help me achieve my weight loss goal, typically something that I usually do even though I know it's naughty. I will add a new one each week, so I can slowly train myself into better behaviours. It should be interesting -- we'll see how it works!

My weigh ins will be on Sat, so technically this is day 3. In that case I will start with two challenges, then add a new one every Saturday.

- Drink 2L of water every day (I usually get in a 600mL bottle during/after the gym, and I drink plenty of tea, but apart from that I'm pretty slack with water); and
- No picking at Trent's food (this might sound gross, but often when I'm dieting my partner and I will prepare our own food, or he will make something extra like 2min noodles, and I often pinch a bite! A better example is when he buys a treat, like a caramel slice, and I ask for a bite. I haven't bought one myself but I still shouldn't have any! Those "magically not counting" calories actually do count, and they add up!)

If anyone wants to join in, or has tips/suggestions for small achievable weekly goals that I can accumulate, please post! :)
Kimmie

Re: Kim's Weekly Challenges

Postby Fiona25 » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:01 pm

Great challenge Kim :D I'm terrible for picking at things and thinking 'I won't bother counting the calories in that, wouldn't be worth it' but it is :oops:
Saying goodbye to calorie counting AND scales for a while.

Just enjoying the new and improved healthy me and embracing my new lifestyle!
Fiona25

Postby Kimmie » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:12 pm

Yay! I succeeded in both today! Despite Trent having made a huge batch of caramel slice. I got home from the gym (ravenous, of course) to the smells of sugary goodness, with pots and bowls of chocolate and assorted goo, begging to be licked...

...I had a cup of tea! :P

Alright, we'll see how the rest of the week goes!
Kimmie

Postby sassi » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:39 pm

that is some serious restraint! you're doing well so far :)

i think that's an awesome challenge as well - i do exactly the same thing :|
sassi

Postby Kimmie » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:05 pm

I've been doing really well all week, but last night was a bit of a failure on the diet/exercise/challenge side of things. My partner and I went out for dinner at a Chinese restaurant for our one year anniversary. I tried to be good -- had steamed prawns and veggies in oyster sauce, but I still think I ate about three times as much as I needed. And I also had wine and botrytis and... a Cornetto for dessert! :oops: :oops: :oops:

Oops... I feel bad, particularly with my very first weigh-in tomorrow. I hope last night hasn't effected my weeks weight loss too much. Why can't I enjoy a meal out with my lovely man?!?!? Lame. *sigh*
Kimmie

Postby Kimmie » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:13 pm

OK, so I had 5 days of my first two challenges. I thought I'd be able to do water no trouble, and that it would be the food picking that got me but results are:

Water: 3/5
Picking: 5/5

So, could be better! I seem to be able to do the 2L without trouble when I go to the gym, but otherwise I drink a bottle during the day at Uni, then forget about water in the evening! Maybe I'll go have another glass now, while I think of it! :P

Anyway, my third challenge for this week is to start targeting exercises which I find really... challenging! These include push ups (standard and tricep), tricept dips, planks, and lunges. I'm still doing push ups and planks on my knees, and I would definitely like to be able to do the latter on my toes soon, maybe a bit longer before I can do the push ups on my toes. So, I'm going to start doing these every day that I don't have a body pump class -- it's something I can do in the ad break (I did body pump at 8 this morning, so I get a freebie today! :P)
Kimmie

Postby Mandie » Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:46 pm

Doing well with the challenges, good luck with the exercises!

Don't worry about the meal out - it was your anniversary! As long as you don't have these special events every night, you should be fine - every few weeks it's nice to have a treat. Some people have treats every week to help keep them on track, and that's fine too! Whatever works for you :)
Mandie

Postby anaksedang » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:57 pm

Nice challenge. I will copy one as well :wink:
anaksedang

Postby Kimmie » Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:07 pm

Excellent! We can do it! (I'm currently guzzling down my last glass of water for the day *phew* my poor bladder!!!)

Which challenge were you thinking of joining me on? The exercise one? I have to admit, it's mostly so I'm not shaking like mad doing lunges or tricep dips, or being one of the wusses that cops out after three tricep push ups... :P

If I can't be thin, I'm going to be strong! :D :D :D
Kimmie

Postby Kimmie » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:19 pm

Last night, I did all my exercises. I was surprised at how many push ups I could do -- hopefully I'll be progressing to on my toes in a couple of weeks! I'm still pathetic at tricep push ups, mainly because they don't get incorporated into many classes, so I don't get the chance to do them very often. Also still pretty weak with my plankies. But -- I did them! And I don't have to do them tonight because I went to pump. :P

BUT... I totally failed on my food picking challenge. :( It started at lunch, Trent got three different kinds of salad from Sumo Salad, and I just wanted to try them in case I'd buy them on a later date. They're just salad, right? *sigh* Then we participated in this focus group about some new degrees that our faculty wants to introduce for 2009, and as an incentive we were offered these yummy almond custardy things COVERED in icing and chocolate chip hot cross buns. Dammit. Trent had TWO of the custardy things (damn his metabolism!!!!! :evil:), and my naughty binge brain went "hey Kim, you've already botched the picking challenge for the day, you might as well have a bite or three." So I did. I had three (I think?) small bites, and picked at some of the almond flakes. I'm so disappointed in myself. :(

Everything else today has been in my points, but I have no idea how many cals/how much fat I consumed in those bites! :x
Kimmie

Postby MagicGirl79 » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:23 pm

Don't worry about little slip up's, they happen to the best of us. The important part is to qipe it from your memory and start afresh.

And I hate the way our brains say "well you've already stuffed today, let's just keep stuffing and start afresh tomorrow". I'm a sucker for that - but it's something I'm working on. Only allowing myself 1 stuff up in a day, then being able to pull the reigns in and get back on the horse immediately rather than waiting till the next day.

Well done with the exercise though!
Cheers,
Kate
MagicGirl79

Postby Kimmie » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:55 pm

Thanks, MG, although I've been pretty slack with my exercises. That reminds me though -- I need another 700mL of water!!

I'll post the results tomorrow!
Kimmie

Postby Kimmie » Sat Feb 16, 2008 12:14 pm

Results for this week:

Water: 6/7 (good, except I have to remember to have enough during the day so I'm not guzzling a glass or two before bed! :P)
Picking: 5/7 (not too bad, except Monday was very naughty picking, eating Trent's sweets)
Exercises: 3.5/7 (the half is for a night that I only did some dips and lunges, no pushups or planks lol -- this is total rubbish! Two of those points are from pump, anyway, and my Thursday class was cancelled because the instructor was on hols and noone bothered to sort out a replacement :evil:)

My new challenge, and I am scared of this one:

No food after 8pm. I know this is one a lot of people have trouble with, and so do I. Yesterday was my last day working on my research project, and hours for academics are *weird*. Like, I can turn up for work any time between 8 and midday, and I can go home any time between 3 and midnight, I don't have to go in every day, but I usually work on weekends and in the evenings (at least from home). So there is no routine, so I could be having dinner at 5pm or 9pm! I'm starting a full time job on the 25th, which will be 8:30-5:30 (like every normal person lol), so hopefully that will help induce some routine.

OOH we also get fed breakfast and lunch at my soon-to-be job, so I hope it's healthy! (*hopeful but dubious* since I will be one of TWO women in the department, so low cal is probably not high on their list of priorities)
Kimmie

Postby Kimmie » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:36 am

I got my wisdom teeth out on Monday, some some of these challenges didn't apply for the most of this week, the exercise in particular. Which was lame, I miss the gym...

Water: 6/7 (I was supposed to drink lots of water on doctors orders!!! :D)
Picking: 3/7 (this was so bad, since I was on a mush diet I would often pinch a noodle or a tiny bit of chicken from Trent just to see if I could actually eat it yet, often with hilarious or painful results)
Exercises: 2/7
Curfew: 4/7 (I learned that curfews are particularly hard on weekends!)

I think since this week was so lousy, I'm not going to add a new challenge this week. I'm still recovering (sadly I had to opt out of the gym this morning, I'm still not sleeping well and feeling woozy with cold sweats, so weight training is probably not a good idea yet), so next week might not be stellar either. Plus I'm starting a new job on Monday, so it will take me some time to settle into a new routine with the gym etc. Hope it's not too disruptive!
Kimmie

Postby shelbel » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:01 pm

Oh getting wisdom teeth out hurts! :cry: I hope you feel better real soon, dont push yourself too hard!!!
Highest Weight - 93kgs
Current Weight - 68.3kgs
Goal Weight - 65kgs

The wise man Stephen King once said - The only way to go on, is to go on. To say 'i can do this' even when you know you cant

You'll find me in the almost there section :)
shelbel

Next

Return to Challenges