It is currently Mon Dec 05, 2016 1:18 am

Free Newsletter

10 Week Challenge! (30/03/09 - 08/06/09)

Join one of our motivational Challenges or start one yourself.

Moderator: Moderators

10 Week Challenge! (30/03/09 - 08/06/09)

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:02 am

Congratulations to everyone who took part in the last '10kg in 10 weeks challenge' which ended a few weeks ago. I'm starting another ten week challenge and both old participants and new participants are welcome to take part.

The official starting date is Monday 30 March. The end date is Monday 8 June.

I'm calling it simply a '10 week challenge' rather than a '10kg in 10 weeks challenge' so that the individual participant can decide on what their goal is for the ten weeks. However, if people want me to change it back to the old title I'm more than willing to do so. The other reason I shortened the title is so that I could fit the dates there!

Who's interested? :D

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Re: 10 Week Challenge! (30/03/09 - 08/06/09)

Postby kelvinator » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:55 pm

Sounds great, I'm in. We should all post our goals to keep ourselves honest. My weigh-in day will be Sunday and I will post goals a bit later.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/woAh7b6/]
[/url]
kelvinator

Postby Juzzy » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:56 pm

Does anyone mind if i join in? I could use the extra motivation!

Is there a set weigh in day? I normally weigh in on Thursdays as i go to Weight Watchers that day.

Dont really have a set goal at the moment. IMO anything i manage to lose over that time is a bonus :D

Cheers!
Juzzy

Postby starr22 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:23 pm

Hey, well I'm really looking forward to another 10 week challenge :D I think the name of the challenge is fine EWQ, that way we can all choose what we think will be an achievable weight loss for ourselves.....I know I def won't be able to lose 10kg in 10 weeks :lol: as much as I would like to, it aint gonna happen :wink:

Hmmm.... I think my goal for this 10 weeks will be to lose 5kg. This means I need to lose an average of .5kg each week, which I honestly find quite hard to do :? I'm also going to challenge myself to eat more vegies aswell.

Looking forward to it guys!

xxx
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wqP0t7v/]
[/url]
starr22

Postby MiSs_VaNeSsA » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:38 pm

Count me in, I think this challenge is just what I need!!
My goal will be to lose 10 kgs.....a kilo a week, 10kgs in 10 weeks, easy peasy, no problemo, right? lol :wink:
starr22 - I like your idea about challenging yourself to eat more vegies, I think I will do that too! :D

Woohoo!! Lets do this! :mrgreen:
~ The difference between TRY and TRIUMPH is just a little UMPH! - Marvin Phillips ~
~ The future depends on what we do in the present - Mahatma Gandhi ~

MiSs_VaNeSsA

Postby Jisgone » Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:44 pm

Im in :) and monday is my usual weigh in day so ill stick with that
I hope to lose 10 kilos!
Im off to melb on the 19th of june so I will to be under 100 by then
Jisgone

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:16 pm

Welcome everyone!

Kelvinator, that's a great idea about posting our goals. It gives each of us something concrete to work towards.

Juzzy, new people are always welcome. It'll be great to have you in the team! Last time I think the informal weigh-in day was Monday but people were more than welcome to set their own weigh-in day depending on what was most appropriate for them. Hell, I normally have three weigh-in days because my weight fluctuates so wildly from one day to the next! I just take the lowest weight from the three days as my 'official' weight.

Good luck with losing 5kg in this challenge Starr, and good luck with your 10kg Miss Vanessa and Jewles. I'm sure you both can do it!

My goal is going to seem so weak compared to everyone else's: I want to lose a kilo. That's all. Just a kilo. My current official weight is 69.0kg (though I'm pretty sure I'm a bit heavier than that right now). I want to get to my first interim goal weight of 68kg by the end of this challenge. I'd love to lose a few kilos more but I have to be realistic: work and study are both insane right now leaving me little time to exercise (hell if you want proof of that I'm typing this from uni on a Saturday!). And even at the best of times I lose weight really slowly.

The first change I need to make to get myself losing weight is my attitude. I've been feeling really negative recently and it's causing me to ignore potential weight loss solutions. I was cranky that the Gabriel Method book I'd ordered didn't come with a CD so it put me right off doing it. I also got cranky that I wouldn't be getting the $900 tax bonus so I swore not to buy any unecessary or expensive goods since I am obviously 'unworthy' of stimulating the economy (oh yeah, I got in a right snit! :lol: ) This meant no new $200 running shoes and hence no running because my old shoes make my PF play up.

I've come to the conclusion that while there's an a certain enjoyment to be found in tragic martyrdom, my self-righteous grumpiness is really hurting only one person: me. So instead I'm focusing on the potential benefits of my actions. I'm going to cheerfully get back onto the Gabriel Method and I'm going to enjoy it! I'm going to go and buy some new running shoes because I'll love being able to run again. Even every day nuisances I'm trying to look on in a new light. I had to come to uni to type up student feedback today and instead of grumbling about it stealing time from my weekend I decided that I was really going to enjoy it. And you know what, I did! Just by approaching it in a positive frame of mind I remembered how much I love teaching and really had a good time writing in-depth feedback for all of my students.

My goals this week:
1. Have fun with everything I do
2. Eat more low GI wholegrains
3. Eat more fruit and raw vegetables

Good luck everyone!
EvilWombatQueen

Postby secret_loss » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:01 pm

Hey, count me in on the 10 Week Challenge! I'm new to the forum and think this challenge is a great idea and a great motivator. I'll keep Monday's as my 'weigh in' day too I think. I'd love to be able to lose 10kg in 10 weeks, but I doubt very much that will happen, so I'll aim for 5kg in 10 weeks and if I lose more then great!

My starting weight for this challenge as of today is 89.5kg.

My goals for this week...

1. Drink more water
2. Bike ride twice a day
3. Lose 1kg between now and next weigh in...hopefully
secret_loss

Postby MiSs_VaNeSsA » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:38 am

EvilWombatQueen wrote:
The first change I need to make to get myself losing weight is my attitude. I've been feeling really negative recently and it's causing me to ignore potential weight loss solutions. I was cranky that the Gabriel Method book I'd ordered didn't come with a CD so it put me right off doing it. I also got cranky that I wouldn't be getting the $900 tax bonus so I swore not to buy any unecessary or expensive goods since I am obviously 'unworthy' of stimulating the economy (oh yeah, I got in a right snit! :lol: ) This meant no new $200 running shoes and hence no running because my old shoes make my PF play up.

Hey Ali,
What is this "Gabriel Method" that you speak of? You've got me intrigued :D
~ The difference between TRY and TRIUMPH is just a little UMPH! - Marvin Phillips ~
~ The future depends on what we do in the present - Mahatma Gandhi ~

MiSs_VaNeSsA

Postby Juzzy » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:25 am

Thanks for the welcomes!! I am really looking forward to this challenge!

I have decided that id like to lose 500g a week which i think is pretty realistic, so thats 5 kilos by the end of the challenge. I think thats reasonable and defiantly something i can accomplish.

EWQ I have an attitude problem as well, i can be really negative and i find the negative self talk can really ruin things for me. Ive been working on it and i am slowly getting better but i swear i can be the queen of self sabotage! My attitude has changed alot since i had my daughter however. She is two and there is no way i want her to grow up like i have. So time to practice what i preach really. I also have an issue with self control :oops: so have found the best way for me to avoid eating crap is not to have it in the house at all. I can never stop at just one piece of chocolate or one biscuit. Before i know it the whole packet is gone.

Oh and thanks for the tip with the weigh in day. I think ill just keep it on Thursday (if everyone doesnt mind LOL)

My starting weight is 111.9.

Exercise this week will be:
1. Lap swimming for at least an hour Mon-Fri
2. A walk or exercise DVD every day
3. As much incidental exercise as i can cram into every day

I am also planning to up my water intake. I just seem to forget sometimes so a water bottle is now going to be permanently attached to my hand.

Happy Sunday everyone!
SW: 127.8
CW: 106.8

GW : 80 (will reassess once i get there)

21 kilos lost!
Juzzy

Postby Jisgone » Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:24 pm

My starting weight is 109.0kg, and I plan on being in double digits by the end :)
Jisgone

Postby chris03 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:35 pm

Hi
I would love to join this challenge if thats ok. I really need some help and I am really looking forward to this. Monday will be my weigh in day. I am new to this so will probably ask lots of questions along he way if I become too painful please let me know
Thank you Chris
chris03

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:23 pm

Welcome to the challenge Chris and Secret Loss! It's great to have you joining us. :D

Miss Vanessa, 'the Gabriel Method' is a weight loss book and MP3 by Jon Gabriel. The way I see it (and others may disagree) is that it's more about mind programming than a set diet and exercise program. The author's argument is that a lot of our over-eating is because our bodies are trying to find nutrients that are missing in our daily (unhealthy) diets. So he recommends taking omega 3 supplements, probiotics and a few other things I can't remember for the life of me. And rather than cut out foods he stresses adding healthy 'living' foods like salads and fruit. There's a fair bit more which would take too long to get into here. There's a thread on the board dedicated to Censored and the Gabriel Method (link). I recommend looking at your local library to see if they have a copy to borrow. That way you can see what you think before forking out $30. That's how I first read it and I loved it so much I went out and bought the book.

One of the things I like best about it is that Jon Gabriel is happy for readers to take anything they find useful from the book and leave the rest. Which is good because there's a lot of mystic woo that a skeptic like me doesn't agree with.

I lost weight the first few weeks I followed it which amazed me because I seem to be on a never-ending plateau right now. Unfortunately I haven't used it for a while so I need to start listening to the MP3 again and try and find time to re-read the book.
EvilWombatQueen

Postby jewellerylover » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:33 pm

Hi all,
I'm new here and very excited to have found a challenge that goes right up until the day of my birthday- June 8. So yay. I think having to fess up to the forum each week with my progress might just be the motivation I need to keep me honest!

Currently I go to the gym 6 days a week and on sundays I walk at the beach for 40 minutes when I finish work. I alternate between 30 minutes of cardio (min) and a weights session (in the same trip to the gym) and longer cardio, sometimes upto an hour, followed by Body Balance (in my opinion it's one of the best Les Mills' classes- you just feel so great after!!) :D I'm also keeping a food diary and keep to under 1500 calories per day. My issue is with the low amount of weight that I tend to lose..if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated!

When I first started getting serious about losing a few kilos I was at the end of my uni break in mid Feb, and I was at my all time heaviest- 67.4 kilos. I hope to get down to between 56 and 58. I was going ok and then last week I fell off the wagon and got back on on Thursday. Now it's time to really challenge myself!! :lol:

I hope that firstly that you guys don't mind me joining in, and that together we'll be able to get lighter and healthier!!

For ease of purpose I will weigh in tomorrow and then each monday after. Can't wait!
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjm6bRM/]
[/url]
jewellerylover

Postby Krystabelle » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:32 am

Hi all!

I'm in! I'm definitely in!

10 weeks - 10 kg I think is a pretty good target.
I'm currently at 73kg (I was 90kg two years ago) and struggling to shift the rest...
I plan to go to the gym twice a week, calorie restrict and increase incidental exercise
63 kg by June, here I come!

I look forward to the journey with you all :)
By the way, how do you set up the weight loss ticker?
Krystabelle

Next

Return to Challenges