It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:18 am

Free Newsletter

The Takeaway famine - 20 September to 20 October

Join one of our motivational Challenges or start one yourself.

Moderator: Moderators

The Takeaway famine - 20 September to 20 October

Postby Puffer » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:53 pm

Hi everyone!

As you all know from this thread I have a weakness for takeaway. I just looked back at my kilojoule counter - in the past 31 days I have eaten takeaway (including leftovers the next day) 13 times! Thats nearly every second day!

So this is my challenge: will you join me in having no takeaway for 30 days, starting today. Post here to join, share your anti-takeaway tips and to fess up if need be :lol:

PS - As I sometimes don't get time to make lunch, bought lunch will be acceptable as long as it is not significantly different or any larger than anything I would have made at home.
Puffer

Postby kate_turner2000 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:41 am

what a wonderful challenge!! so what you are saying is that i can still have a subway salad if need be? cos id be interested in joining in!
kate_turner2000

Postby Puffer » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:05 am

Yes, I don't know about anyone else, but I am just too busy or running late some mornings, and I t think skipping lunch usually adds to more dieting woes later on in the day so a small sandwich (like one of the 6inch low fat ones from subway) or a salad are a great compromise.
Puffer

Postby Garfield » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:39 pm

Count me in. I've been behaving myself with the takeaway recently, but it can't hurt to be in a challenge just to make sure I don't stop in at maccas on the way home. :D

I used to live in a small country town, so there were no fast food chains there, only local stuff which wasn't too unhealthy. Every time I'd go out of town to somewhere bigger it was really exciting to have KFC or McDonalds. As a result when I moved to the city (Canberra) I went a bit fast food nuts.

It doesn't help that there are 3 McDonalds, 2 KFCs and a whole heap of others within easy walking distance of my home :lol:
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby Puffer » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:42 pm

Garfield I *know* the feeling! I used to live in a small town too (in central west NSW, near Dubbo) with only a few local takeaway shops, and all of the upmarket cafes not to mention every type of international takeaway you could think of (indian, chinese, pakistani, turkish, thai anyone?) in Canberra it's just sooo hard not to eat so much takeaway!
Puffer

Postby grugwashere » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:57 pm

count me in... ill prolly fail but its worht a shot
SW:91kg
CW:75kg
GW: Somwhere in the 60's for now

Next mini goal:73kg
grugwashere

Postby KimE » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:30 am

I won't be joining in as I almost never have take aways but I think it is a great idea for a challenge Christina and a nice way to have some support along the way so....

GOOD LUCK TO ALL CHALLENGEES!
:D
Kim - To thine own self be true
Maintainence since 04/11/06
Preferred Weight - Under 60 kgs
Current Weight - 64.8 kgs
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Puffer » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:30 pm

Argh ok, I had a minor slip today :( I was having a bad day at work, I felt bad being there because the not for profit I work for is really struggling money wise. I am casual and desperately need my 10 hours a week or I can't meet my committments, but the EO told me not to come in for a second day. I was already bummed about loosing some money for doing that, and then at 2pm she forced me to go to lunch! I usually don't go (because I don't get paid for my lunch, having nothing to do during lunch and it's just a boring waste of time). So she forced me to go for a 45 minute lunch (the award I am under says 30 mins is the minimum, but she wouldn't even just let me go for 30 mins!) and I had nothing to do but walk past food shops! I couldn't shop because I had no money to buy clothes etc. I was *this* close to getting a happy meal (despite already having eaten my lunch!) but ended up just getting one of those deep fried zucchini things with the yohgurt sauce from a kebab shop. I knew I shouldn't have done it, and I was ruining my challenge, but I was so pissed off and upset about missing out on MORE money this week, I just felt to weak to resist. Well it was absolutely disgusting, I ate some of it and threw the rest out. Sad thing is, if it wasn't disgusting I would have scoffed the lot.

So dammit my 30 days starts again from the 22nd. I now have to go without takeaway

And then there were chocolates in the office, I ate tonnes and now calorie king tells me there was probably 2000kj worth :( I forced myself to do an aerobics video, and turned it around so I was actually slightly under my net kj limit for the day, but I still feel terrible because of everything that happened today and my weakness :(
Puffer

Postby corolla_chick » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:11 pm

we all have bad days puffer.

you just have to make sure that after a bad day, you start eating healthy again the next day.

good on you for doing some exercise for the day and for restarting your challenge.

you can do it!!
beck :D

corolla_chick

Postby Garfield » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:27 pm

That's ok Christina, you can't be strong all of the time. Well done for turning it around. Don't let this one slip up hold you back from doing this challenge.
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]
[/url]
Garfield

Postby kate_turner2000 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:48 am

keep your chin up christina, it was a spare of the moment thing, its not like you thought at the start of the day "right im going to have takeaway at some point today and its going to be delish!" stick to your guns, you know you can do it otherwise you wouldnt be feeling so bad about it, you would jsut say 'stuff it ive ruined my challenge'. keep going mate!
kate_turner2000

Postby KimE » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:43 am

Christina if you don't have anything to do at lunch how about a brisk walk. I know you said it takes you past food shops but try all different routes and get to see things you don't normally see. And make it a brisk walk not a stroll....so you are puffing a bit and add some music if you have a walkman.

Another incentive is put the money you would normally spend on take aways in a jar or something and see how much you have at the end of the week.
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Postby Dolly » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:15 am

Oh Christina, how awful about your job. If your boss is struggling to pay people it sounds like he might eventually close down. Is there any chance you can browse for a more permanent job? Perhaps leave your name at a few huge department stores for an office job.

You did well to choose the fried zucchini and yoghurt (it shows your mind is now permantly fixed toward diet foods) and congratulations for ditching half of it. Don't strave yourself for backsliding (you'll just create a new hunger) just continue forward from this day forth and if you normally allow yourself a takeout once per week then stick to your routine.
Bug Hugs to you over your job situation.
Dolly

Postby Puffer » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:42 pm

I am looking around for other jobs, just in case, but I do really like working there, this is the first time in nearly 3 years I have had something bad happen at that job.

Next time, I will go for a 45 minute powerwalk... in the opposite direction from the shops!

I am posting because it has been 7 days not without takeaway :D that is a huge milestone for me! I had a few brushes with takeaway but I don't think I broke my pledge/challenge:

1. Went to the opening of brand depot on Saturday, after 3.5 hours of shopping I was hungry as a bear! I had a 6 inch subway italian sub, no dressing, and fitted it into my calorie counting for the day (calorie king had the exact one in it's database!).

2. I didn't have time to make lunch one morning - I bought a vegetarian foccacia with roast vegetables and pesto - yummo! A bigger sandwich than I would make myself at home, but sooo much better than the usual 'takeaway'. Again I was completely honest with my calorie counter, added all of the ingredients and slotted it nicely into my kilojoule allowance.

3. This morning I had a bacon and egg roll, on toasted turksih bread. These are the best B&E rolls ever, the bacon is lean, no grease in sight... so good I savoured it for a good 30 minutes. Again, all honestly added to calorie king and it was all within my kilojoule allowance.

I can be strong 8)
Puffer

Postby KimE » Wed Sep 27, 2006 7:44 pm

Good on ya Christina looks like you are making better choices when buying out. Well done on your 7 days. :D
Start Weight - 85 kgs
KimE

Next

Return to Challenges