It is currently Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:21 am

Free Newsletter

20kg in 10 Weeks

Join one of our motivational Challenges or start one yourself.

Moderator: Moderators

20kg in 10 Weeks

Postby Silver Princess » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:02 pm

Ok now enough is enough....I've been reading some of the posts on the forum and they have really inspired me to take the leap and start losing! I have set a goal of losing 20-22 kg in 10 weeks. I know that it will be tough trying to lose about 2 kilos a week but it will keep me motivated if I do lose big numbers. I will try not to give in to temptations and will strive to keep away from my emotional eating habits. I believe that exercising will be just as important as eating, so I hope I can develop a routine of daily cardio and resistance training. Ok now for my stats:

Starting weight (4/6/2010): 80.5kg
Goal weight: 58-60kg

I will endeavour to do a weekly weigh-in to show you my results. I really do hope this is the last time I need to lose this much weight! I can't wait until the day I am in my maintenance phase. Ok guys wish me luck....!!
Silver Princess

Re: 20kg in 10 Weeks

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:45 pm

Good luck, SP! 2 kilos per week is certainly ambitious, but it's certainly do-able for the first few weeks at least. Hopefully that will give you incentive to stick to your healthy habits even if your weight loss slows.

I look forward to reading about your progress!

cheers,
Ali
EvilWombatQueen

Postby Silver Princess » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:25 pm

Ali - thanks a lot....in the past I've lost 3 kg a week and then by the third week I'm back to my old habits and the weight slowly returns. This time I want to remain focused and motivated...that's why I wanted to find a forum where people have gone through the same ups and downs as I have....
Silver Princess

Postby FatFukShrinking » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:41 pm

Hi Silver Princess!

I wish you the best of luck on your journey. I think it would be very hard to lose 20kilos in 10 weeks. I always set myself goals like that and it never happens. I try not to set myself up for failure now. I try and pick a realistic weight loss goal...

500grams a week is the rate at which most people recommend you lose weight. What about aiming for something you could achieve and taking anything over that as a bonus?

So if 500grams is about the average you should lose a week... that would make 5 kilos in 10 weeks. Considering most people lose a couple of kilos the first week, and higher numbers at the start.. you could aim to lose 10kg and achieve it.

You have to keep in mind that as you get smaller the weight takes longer to come off. Wouldn't you be happier if you set yourself a goal which you could actually achieve? I think 10kilos is very optimistic and will be a challenge, 20kilos would take the biggest loser style of workouts.

Please don't be offended, i'm way bigger than you and have my own struggles, i don't know any better than you do. This is just my opinion from my experiences. See you around the forums :D

SW: 121.3kg - 20/04/2010
First Goal: 109 kilos (Losing 10% of my body weight)
Second Goal: 99 kilos (Getting out of triple digits)
Third goal: 85 kilos (Getting back to a weight where i felt more like ME)
Ultimate long term goal: 60 kilos (Losing half of my start weight)
FatFukShrinking

Postby HappyGirl83 » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:28 am

20kg in 10 weeks...wow!! Definitely setting the bar high!!

Do you have a special event in 10 weeks or is that just a date you have set for yourself?

Best of luck!!
My journey so far...

Sick and tired of wasting my 20's being fat!!
HappyGirl83

Postby Silver Princess » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Thanks for your support guys....I've carried this extra weight for the past ten years and I've been depressed about it ever since.......I know it's a long shot but if I lose only 500 grams a week then it'll take me 40 weeks and I don't think I can last that long.....Anyway I'll give it a go and maybe this time I can succeed.
Silver Princess

Postby Determined1 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:08 pm

20kg in 10 weeks!! I like a princess with ambition :) I admire you, I would feel so overwhelmed and not know where to start...lol. I'm looking forward to reading about your progress..GOODLUCK!

D1
Determined1

Postby Silver Princess » Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi all.....

Thought I'd update you on my progress so far....this morning I weighed in at 78.3...that's a 2.2kg loss! It's been a good week for me except for today :( I went to a party and ate lots of junk food. Oh well I guess I have tomorrow to continue. Now to alter my tracker.....
Silver Princess

Postby alizezz » Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:27 pm

Great! Best of luck!!
alizezz

Postby Determined1 » Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:33 am

Congrats on the loss! We all have slip ups :)
Determined1

Postby ExerciseYPotential » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:39 pm

Silver Princess wrote:Thanks for your support guys....I've carried this extra weight for the past ten years and I've been depressed about it ever since.......I know it's a long shot but if I lose only 500 grams a week then it'll take me 40 weeks and I don't think I can last that long.....Anyway I'll give it a go and maybe this time I can succeed.

I'm not sure how long it took for you to put the weight on, but if you've had 20 'extra' kgs for 10 years, surely you didn't put all 20kg's of it on in 10 weeks? Why expect to lose it in 10?

It was probably only small amount of excess kj consumed each day/week/month that got you to this position so why not make some small changes to your lifestyle that you can maintain for a lot longer and the small kj defecit can add up to a large amount over time. This is scientifically proven to be better for long-term weightloss and health.

The major thing you need to consider here is, are the changes you are going to make over the next 10 weeks sustainable for the rest of your life? If no, then get ready to put all the weight back on, plus some. This will also make your body less susceptible to change making it harder to lose weight next time.

Think long term success, not long term failure. Small, sustainable changes are the key!
Last edited by EvilWombatQueen on Tue Jun 15, 2010 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Links to commercial sites are not permitted according to the forum rules.
ExerciseYPotential

Postby Silver Princess » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:42 pm

I hear you EYP small changes in my diet will help me reach a life long goal to lose this extra weight and then maintain it. Unfortunately in the past I have tried to lose it slow but for some reason it either comes off quickly or I don't lose weight at all. If I want to lose weight slowly I need to count my calories but unfortunately I don't have the time nor patience to sit and tally every kj I eat. If I go at it hard then maybe I will be more encouraged to stick to it if I see big losses. At the moment I'm focusing on it one week at a time. I'm not stressing over the long term goal of 20kg just being able to reach my weekly 2kg. I really don't see 2kg a week as being a huge loss anyway - I mean look at the BL they lose 5-10kg a week --> now that's a massive loss, something I definately would not be able to do!
Silver Princess

Postby ExerciseYPotential » Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:29 am

You're right, 2kg is nowhere near what BL contestants lose, and I definitely think anyone is capable of that with the right motivation/equipment/assistance but is it really in your best (or the contestants best) interests to lose it that quick. Many professionals think that any loss or gain of over 1kg per week can be very detrimental to someones health. There's definitely an argument for both losing weight as quickly as possible and losing it slowly. With my personal education and experience I like the slow and steady way. It just gives you more time to go through the process and learn more about sustainable changes and getting out of bad habits.

I've lost 28kg in a couple of years by making small changes. It wasn't any determined point of my life where I drastically changed things. I just had a look at what was a healthier option, a more approproiate portion, tried to move a little more throughout the day and if i got around to having a a couple of 'exercise sessions' throughout the week then it was a bonus. Things like reducing my portions from 6 weetbix (even though they aren't that high in energy) to 3, going without butter on my toast twice/week, spacing out meals, finding out my triggers for bad eating and avoiding them.

At the end of the day you need to be making at least a couple of good choices for you everyday - and know that you really aren't the worst off in the world, there are a lot of people who are in harder/tougher/more exhausting positions than you - you won't die if you go without a couple of chocolate biscuits tonight, you're not so special that you get to miss out on 20mins of walking to sit around the house etc.. By stopping my justification of bad choices it really helped me long term..

Well.. this worked for me anyway...
Last edited by court on Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed advertising links
ExerciseYPotential

Postby Silver Princess » Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:29 pm

Hi everyone...

Just weighed in this morning and the scales said....77.1kg. So since last week I've only lost 1.2 kg and I didn't reach my 2kg goal but I guess a loss is a loss and maybe I can try harder for next week. The best thing is moving the ticker toward a weight loss! Anyway I'd love to continue to hear your comments, they encourage me to stay on track. Ok guys until next time.
Silver Princess

Postby EvilWombatQueen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 1:07 pm

1.2kg is a great loss for a week! You should feel very proud of your achievement. Good on you!
EvilWombatQueen

Next

Return to Challenges