It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:45 pm

Free Newsletter

My Weight Loss Challenge

Join one of our motivational Challenges or start one yourself.

Moderator: Moderators

My Weight Loss Challenge

Postby ganymede » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:25 pm

I use to weigh 101kg, it was the biggest I had ever been in my life and it scared me. I had just broken up with a destructive partner and felt happy and refreshed to be free to work on me because I knew that is what I really needed. It motivated me to join the gym and start my own strict yet healthy eating plan which saw me lose 10kg in the first month and in the 6 months that followed I got down to about 78kg with the last weight gradually coming off after that. I got down to 73kg at one stage and I was happy. After I had lost about 20kg I met my partner and I was extremely happy (and still am :mrgreen:) but the gradual comfort zone that came with that over the next four years saw me gain 17kg again :( But I couldn't get myself motivated, no matter what I did. I would join the gym, start eating healthy and lose a bit of weight but I would always becoming easily discouraged and end up shrugging and eating a bag of maltesers instead. I'm only blaming myself though for letting it get to this. I should have wanted to stay healthy and slim and to keep losing weight but I didn't. Everyone goes through things and it just all weighed up again (literally!).

I started Optifast a few weeks ago (I've done them before to help me get off the last few kilos) though I was only mainly having them for breakfast and lunch sometimes to gradually work my way into it but since the beginning of last week I have started having my three shakes a day and 2 serves of vegetables and I have already noticed results! Before Christmas I got down to 88.45kg from my starting weight of 91.8kg but over the Christmas period I swear I had put back on all the weight I'd lost in that time but I never weighed myself because I was too afraid it would confirm my suspicions. So I didn't officially weigh in before I began my strict optifast plan but since last week I'm now down to 87.1kg! So that means even if I did maintain my weight of 88.45kg (which I'm certain I didn't) then I still lost 1.35kg this week alone! I am very very happy about that. I am also happy that since the beginning of November last year I have lost almost 5kg, so at least that is something.

I know a lot of people are against shake diets and it is understandeable. They can be very dangerous when not closely monitored by yourself or a GP but I have lost a lot of weight before and I definitely know my limits. When I'm having a really hard day and am sick of plain vegetables I either spice it up by buying some fresh brocolli or whipping up some mixed vegetables and capsicum with a bit of soy sauce in the wok, it is to die for! And although soy sauce isn't great, at least I am still sticking to the vegetables. Anyway, I am hoping to stay within the intensive 3 shakes a day diet for 12 weeks which means I am on them for another 11 weeks. In this time I would really like to lose at least 15kg, hopefully more if I really stick it out and do some light walking to accompany it.

All up my goal is to get down to around 60kg and I would like to have reached that goal by the beginning of June. Is this achievable!? And does anyone working around the same weight and goals want to join me in my challenge, I would be happy to have some assistance and to help out somebody else to reach their goals too!

Let's get those bikini bodies before...winter!? :P

Thanks for reading :)

Cheers,

Shelley
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Re: My Weight Loss Challenge

Postby jessmeow » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:09 pm

I know this thread is a little dated but I wondered how you were going with the shakes?
jessmeow

Re: My Weight Loss Challenge

Postby ganymede » Wed Feb 16, 2011 7:54 am

Hey jess!

I had five days off from my diet, had some stuff going on and was also on pain killers that required me to eat a proper meal so they didnt make me sick. I am back on them now and not struggling too much which is great! My goal is to get down to 81kg by march 7th and I currently weigh 85.5kg. I heard you were interested in the shakes diets, which one are you considering? I know this isn't somethin I can continue to do forever but i want to getthe weight off with noticeable results and fast! Then i am going to go to a dietitian and get an appropriate eating plan made up for me.
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Return to Challenges