It is currently Sun Dec 11, 2016 5:33 am

Free Newsletter

The Knackered Blitz Challenge

Join one of our motivational Challenges or start one yourself.

Moderator: Moderators

The Knackered Blitz Challenge

Postby Blitz » Sat Apr 05, 2014 11:44 pm

With all these exciting challenges around I've been feeling like an outsider watching in. :cry: Finally I have an opportunity for my own challenge! :D Unfortunately I don't think anyone will want to be joining me in this one. :lol:

After many years, my wife has decided that it was time for this old dog to stay closer to home and spend a bit more time on the poach. I'm having a vasectomy on the 5th of May. Apparently I won't be up for any exercise for a small while after the procedure (what's the difference between a procedure and an operation - less blood?) especially using the exercise bike which is my main form these days. So I've decided to pay forward the weight gain and bank a reserve loss to cover the cost.

I've given myself one month to get myself to 67kg and keep it there until the 5th of May. This morning I weighed in at 69.5kg so that means that I'm looking to move 2.5kg. It will be interesting to see if I can do it given how hard it was for me to shift those last few kilos when I was losing weight and that the drive to lose weight isn't the same as back then. Let's see if I can move from maintenance mode back into weight lose mode easily or will I struggle? Stay tuned! :shock: :lol:

Anyone want to join me in this challenge...guys? No? I didn't think so. :lol:

Kim
Was: 153.7kg
Lost: 87kg
Now: keeping it off for life!
Blitz

Re: The Knackered Blitz Challenge

Postby DD Diva » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:38 am

You've done it before, and I'm sure you'll do it again Kim.

You'll BLITZ it!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

If you can conquer 70 odd kg, you'll breeze dropping 2 or 3 with (and probably with your eyes close at that)!!! GO KIM!!! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby DD Diva » Sun Apr 06, 2014 7:43 am

My first week into the new challenge (a measly):

400g loss :roll:

But hey, every little bit downward helps, so I'm good with that! And I reckon small losses will be replaced by bigger ones down the track?! :wink:
DD Diva

Postby ganymede » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:15 pm

:lol: You can do it Kim, I'll back you in your challenge! :wink:
- Shelley

"You get whatever you settle for."

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Blitz » Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:09 pm

Diva: The "70 odd kg" that you write about was reasonably easy - that took 39 weeks to do (69.9kg actually)...but it is the sharp end where the difficulties lie...but the other 17kg I lost took 21 weeks to do. The closer you get to the end - the harder it gets.

DAY 2 (Sunday, 6th April)...

Well if you are going to start into a challenge you might as well throw yourself into the deep end. A friend of mine died recently and her husband invite a few close friends to celebrate her life, her birthday and her wedding anniversary at lunch at a popular Perth restaurant called Miss Mauds. Miss Mauds speciality is SMORGASBORD. :shock: The problem with smorgasbord is that your head tells you that the more you eat - the more valve you get for your money. Meanwhile your heart tells you; the food is delicious with many dishes to taste and try - and each plate you polish off is taken away...so no pile of dishes to incriminate your guilt!

Now you have to understand - this place is scarred into my psyche. I've been here before...dinner; the 6th April, 2011...or as I refer to it "The First Battle of Miss Mauds"...
Three months into my weight loss journey, weighing in at 122.6kg, trapped into going to celebrate my friend's wedding anniversary and birthday...I set forth to do battle! With my wife holding my hand I make my way through the smorgasbord. I stay away from the heavy stuff and mostly concentrate on small serves of pickled fish, muscles and the salads. I ate no where near what I would have done in the olden days and felt pretty good (not confident...but ok)...I felt I had won the first skirmish. But the counter-attack was to come!

What I hadn't figured was, that my stomach had gotten smaller in those three months nor was it used to rich food any more. About 1am in the morning, as I was laying in bed...worrying what my weigh in the next morning would be like and feeling really bloated - I decided that a good midnight walk might just help out. About half through the walk I felt really really crook. Massive stomach ache and very queasy feeling. Sweating, leaning on posts to catch my breathe...I doggedly made my way back home. Threw up violently...several times...stomach started to hurt even more...thinking that if I collapsed that they would only find me in the morning but with only a house key on me that it would be some time before my family knew what was happening. Staggering homeward now...only thought was to get home and get the wife to ring for an ambulance. Get to spitting distance of my front door...and the pain completely goes away! Knock out win for Miss Mauds! :roll:

Bottom line...0.8kg gain (if I hadn't thrown up so much; goodness knows what it would have been!). The encounter taught me so much. Three and a half months later (and a few other eating outs), I again do battle with Miss Mauds. This time it's lunch; 12th of August 2011- fighting weight 92.8kg. Victory!...0.2kg loss! 8)

Sunday morning I weighed in at 69.7kg which is a 0.2kg gain on my challenge start weigh. Not unexpected as my start weight was weighed in later than usual because I slept in trying to get over a cold I have. So how did I go in this third battle? After coming home from lunch, I had a very light dinner that night then got on the exercise bike and did my regular exercise following it with a little bit more that night and some first thing in the morning (about two thirds extra all up). Weighed in this morning at 69.3kg. That's a 0.4kg loss but more importantly a 0.2kg loss off the 2.5kg I want to shift.

Kim
Blitz

Postby JP1 » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:25 am

Ouch, I'll support you in just about anything but as for the snip, you're on your own buddy :lol: :wink:

Had to laugh at you're smorgasbord dilemma, been there done that :mrgreen: - The Tweed Golf Club does a legendary eat-as-much-as-you-can shove into your face ! first encountered in 2008 at the height of my initial first weight loss campaign and can't remember the specifics but I do recall it was a great victory for me.. Paced myself perfectly that night and never even glanced at the dessert counter 8)
Highs : 107 Kg (24 Sept 2007) : 113.5 Kg (12 Jan 2014) : 112.5 Kg (26 Jan 2016)
Current :99.2 Kg (31 May 2016)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
Target : 94 Kgs by 15th Jul
JP1

Postby Blitz » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:32 pm

Those victories are sweet ain't they JP? My tally for Miss Mauds is 2 - 1 in my favour; unfortunately in the case of Billy Lee's (Perth's best Chinese restaurant...looks like a dive but it is where the Chinese chefs of other restaurants go to eat) the count is is a miserable 0 -3! We live - and learn!

DAY 3 (Monday, 7th April)...

Because I work mostly on the weekends Mondays tend to be like a Saturdays are for most people...relaxed.
I wanted to go for a night run but didn't make it. Instead I just got on the exercise bike and repeated the day before's effort.
Probably ate more snacks than I should have. Need to set firmer limits for myself in this area. This is were I fell down before towards the end of my weight loss journey...adding months to reaching goal.
My dinner was a tad too big. Need to reign in my wife's portion serves...she is use to me being in maintenance and not weight loss mode these days.
All in all, I'm reasonably happy with how things are going. Feeling no major stress or hunger.
Weighed in this morning at 69.0kg for a 0.3kg loss.

Onwards and DOWNwards...
Kim
Blitz

Postby Blitz » Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:55 pm

DAY 4 (Tuesday, 8th April)...

Much the same as Monday. I did take my mum out for a cappuccino. Loosing weight doesn't mean you should stop living. I have the cappuccino (and the two squares of dark chocolate after dinner) by choice...and accept ownership of it. I had it so I either do extra exercise or not eat something else.

Again I dawdled on my night exercise bike (I picked up some 2nd hand Red Dwarf dvds and got caught up watching them) and ran out of time for a midnight run...this is my challenge for tonight - to do it!

Also found the exercise bike slightly heavy going...all that extra riding is catching up with my leg muscles. :shock:

Dinner was better portioned and the snack are getting under control.

Weighed in this morning at 68.8kg for a 0.2kg loss...so I'm under the 69kg mark now.

Travelling good so far. :D

Kim
Blitz

Postby ganymede » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:14 am

Great going, Kim! That's a solid effort and it's great you're reporting on everything because it not only helps you but helps us all on here figure out why we do the things we do when it comes to eating the bad things and not exercising :lol:

I think I'm going to take a page out of your book and start writing things down in a personal challenge thread to give myself the old reality check that needs to happen when the wagon is a distant speck on the horizon :oops:

Keep up that excellent work and the results you want will be yours in no time!
- Shelley

GOAL: To live life happy and healthy, to experience nature to the fullest through hiking, wading and climbing. To have that everlasting energy to achieve the things I want to achieve.
ganymede

Postby Blitz » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:47 pm

Glad to hear that Shelley. I have always contended that if I knew about this place when I was losing weight that I would have done it quicker and easier.

DAY 5 (Wednesday, 9th April)...

Running around like a headless chook most of the day. Got my daughter off to school. Friend who is using my garage as his workshop got a bit of share and care session from me when he arrived (and a cup of tea to boot!). Did the weekly shopping (and put it away). Had the house security alarm repair person over (fixed long enough to leave...before it stopped working properly again). Picked up my amp/speaker from the repair shop. Braved the crowds at the school uniform shop to organise my daughter's winter uniform (over $450 worth...one blazer - $160...rip off - I could get a whole suit for myself for under a $100! :shock: ). Got takeaway for dinner. Composed a sharp letter to some people who needed to be told. Went to a meeting (I'm an Elder at my church and the Elders meet weekly) that ran later than usual. Then got home and collapsed - falling asleep on the sofa.

Wednesdays are usually tiring for me. Maybe it is because it combines both the shopping and meeting on the same day. This Wednesday was even more so. I ended up not exercise at night nor doing that elusive run that I keep promising myself. But this day is a case in point about listening to your body. My voice was thinning. Always a sign to me that I'm putting my body under stress. I knew that it was time to step it down a notch and giving some breathing space. Yep!...no exercise that night...but that doesn't let me off the hook. Got up early the next morning refreshed (guys...sleep is SO important - don't overlook it) - and got on that exercise bike. Only did my normal amount (1,500 cals - just over 90 minutes).

My eating was good. The snacks were controlled. The takeaway for deal was a roast chicken with a side order of chips. The chips were for my daughter who pointed out to me that she hadn't had it for a while. My just over quarter of chicken meal was made complete with some cold baked beans, handful of grapes, a small banana and my two squares of dark chocolate.

Let's talk about incidental exercise. This is the energy you burn that isn't formal exercise. In my case on the day this took various forms. When I go shopping I park at the Coles end of the shopping centre. I jog to the Woolies end, get some money out of the ATM, shop the specials at Woolies then hit the fruit and veg shop near it. Then race the trolley back to the car, empty groceries and go to Coles and do the rest of the shop (all at speed - the longest bit is always the checkouts). When I picked up my amp/speaker I parked the car at the far end of the car park, ran to the shop and the steep stair then carried the heavy speaker back to the car (not as fast - it was heavy!). The idea of incidental exercise is why do one step when two steps will do! :shock: :lol:

Well did it all pay off? Weigh in this morning at 68.3kg for a loss of 0.5kg.

I'm finding this weight loss much easier than I expected (early days yet - I may live to regret writing that :lol: ).
If I had lost this weight as easily back then I could have reached goal months earlier than I did. It feels really great chasing those numbers...beating that number that was yesterday's. :D I guess this old race horse has smelt the race turf and it has set him off...I just hope he lasts the distance and doesn't have to be put down! :shock: :lol:

Kim
Blitz

Postby JP1 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:03 am

Wtg you really are the weight loss guru!
:wink: 8)
Lows : 78.4 Kg (20 May 2008) : 87.4 Kg (on 16 Dec in both 2009 & 2010) : 82.9 Kg (14 Apr 2011) : 87.1 Kg (4 Jul 2011) : 90.5 Kg (14 Jul 2014)
JP1

Postby ganymede » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:46 am

Amazing stuff, Kim! Congrats on the 0.5kg loss!

I am really enjoying reading your journal, it really has given me some insight into one day and the next and that life shouldn't be about every single day being this huge looming mountain and that we make of it what we can and move on to the next day and make it better. I particularly like your note about sleep being very important. I will take away from this what I need and start working it back into my routine so I can get it right!
- Shelley

ganymede

Postby Blitz » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:36 pm

DAY 6 (Thursday, 10th April)...

Moderate day all around. Food consumption was sensible and snacking controlled. Feeling fine and relaxed.

Still didn't end up running but I did get very close to it...put the bin out last night for collection; the night was great and my heart told me to go for that run but my head told me to hit the exercise bike instead. It was getting late as I spent most of the evening setting up for my library show the next day. So the head won. Ended up just doing 500cal then and another 1500cal early next morning. The challenge part of this challenge seems to be getting that run in!

Weigh in this morning 67.5kg for a loss of 0.8kg.

My weekly weigh in is tomorrow - if I lose another 0.5kg I would have met my monthly challenge goal of 2.5kg in one week! :shock:
I don't think it will happen...I was surprised that I managed a 0.8kg loss after a 0.5kg loss...so this goal may have to be reached in week two.

Kim
Blitz

Postby JP1 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:48 am

Great going Kim and as a matter of interest how tall are you?
JP1

Postby DD Diva » Sat Apr 12, 2014 9:42 am

Blitz wrote:DAY 6 (Thursday, 10th April)...

Moderate day all around. Food consumption was sensible and snacking controlled. Feeling fine and relaxed.

Still didn't end up running but I did get very close to it...put the bin out last night for collection; the night was great and my heart told me to go for that run but my head told me to hit the exercise bike instead. It was getting late as I spent most of the evening setting up for my library show the next day. So the head won. Ended up just doing 500cal then and another 1500cal early next morning. The challenge part of this challenge seems to be getting that run in!

Weigh in this morning 67.5kg for a loss of 0.8kg.

My weekly weigh in is tomorrow - if I lose another 0.5kg I would have met my monthly challenge goal of 2.5kg in one week! :shock:
I don't think it will happen...I was surprised that I managed a 0.8kg loss after a 0.5kg loss...so this goal may have to be reached in week two.

Kim

Hey Kim,
Though I haven't been commenting, I've been reading your posts, and I gotta tell ya boy.....I'M IMPRESSED!!! 8)
You're doing REALLY well and deserve to be very proud of yourself! Keep up the fantastic work Blitz, you're a legend! :wink:
xx
Diva
DD Diva

Next

Return to Challenges